Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2016, 07:07 AM

132 posts, read 230,555 times

Advertisements

My husband may be getting a job relocation to Fort Dodge, IA and I would love some current info on the city. I have looked at posts regarding Fort Dodge, but they seem a bit outdated. How is the crime? Where is a good place to live? I have 5 kids and I homeschool, so schools is not an issue. I will possibly be needing to commute to Ames once or twice a week. Is there a city in between to consider living? Also, do all houses have basements? If so, when I am looking a Sq Ft of house online, does that include basement? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 08:23 AM

25 posts, read 27,023 times
I haven't been to Fort Dodge since the 60's, but I've been looking at real estate in Iowa for about a year. I can't be much help but my experience is that basements are never included in the square footage unless it's finished legal living space and even then basements and attics are most often not part of the equation. Never hurts to ask is my approach. A recent ad that listed a garage but showed no garage in any photos or on google earth had a basement garage with a hidden entry. Google earth can reveal a lot about neighborhoods and different areas in a city as well. Most Iowa homes have at least a partial basement.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:04 AM

Thank you for your reply Jeffersonborn51. You mention you are looking for property. Are you planning on relocating as well? My husband has not been offered a job yet, so we may be here in central coast California for a while longer. It is absolutely gorgeous here, but like everything else, there is a cost. Iowa seems very reasonable place to live.

Old 06-15-2016, 10:43 AM

Yes, recently retired and I am planning to move back to my home state after living and working my entire adult life on the west coast. I like the Seattle area, it's been a great place to work and there will be things I'll miss, but I can visit. I tried living in the San Diego area twice in the 70's but moved back to the northwest after a few months. Still I have always missed the small Midwest town atmosphere and the seasons. I am a huge fan of early 1900's craftsman and arts & crafts style homes, quiet neighborhoods with sidewalks and big broad-leaf trees. I want to spend my last years traveling the south and central US along with trips back to the coast. I plan on having a couple of guest rooms and hope that my sons and a few friends might visit so I can show them where I grew up, but if not, it's their loss.
Low crime, lower cost of living, and a much nicer home for the money are certainly a plus, but for me it's mostly about getting back home. It has been interesting that some people I've contacted back there have not been very encouraging, but Iowans tend to
a bit guarded. I will try to keep my comparisons, liberal politics, and wise guy remarks to a minimum, and hopefully find a fit. I have nephews and nieces, along with one sister and probably many cousins that I haven't stayed close to since my mother passed in 88. I intend to sneak up on them after I'm moved, should be great fun. BTW, to me having a basement in Iowa is essential after having experienced a tornado in 1963. Best of luck to you and your husband.

Last edited by jeffersonborn51; 06-15-2016 at 10:51 AM..

Old 06-15-2016, 11:05 AM

I likewise love the PNW. I lived near Portland for 7 years. I still own a home there and currently rent it. I loved the seasons that central coast california lacks. Speaking of Tornadoes, looks like they had some wild weather yesterday. I lived in Houston for a few years when I was younger and I know storms are wild there. It is good to know that houses in Fort Dodge are very old. That tells me there has not been a big tornado there to wipe out the city. This is comforting. Plus basements are common. But I have read a basement is not without risks during a tornado. But it is safer than other options. Building a safe room in a basement is ideal. How common are tornadoes in Fort Dodge? I wish someone who currently lives there could give me some insight about good places to live, crime and weather related concerns. But I thank you for your response!

Old 06-15-2016, 11:54 AM

I hope I didn't alarm you with the mention of tornadoes. There is one listed @ Fort Dodge between 1950 and 2015, a "level 2" on June 16, 1960 @ 6:00 am- Fatalities: 0 -Injuries: 0 just outside of town on the river. There are actually three other more recent that didn't show on the first map. Link below.

A safe room/vault is on my project and budget list for multiple reasons. If we can live without fear of earthquakes on the coast, tornadoes shouldn't be any more of a concern IMO. I have a sister that's lived in Iowa for over 70 years and never seen one as far as I know.

Tornado History Project: Iowa

I was hoping to find someone here with some input on Jefferson, but it seems like a long shot. I was in Fort Dodge many times in the 50's and early 60's visiting an elderly relative, sorry I can't be more help. I do recall a forum I visited a few months ago and talk about the drug problems there, but we know that's not exclusive to Fort Dodge or Iowa.

Last edited by jeffersonborn51; 06-15-2016 at 12:12 PM..

Old 06-15-2016, 01:10 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,603,625 times
OP, you and hubby badly need to come out here for a long weekend if he actually gets the position. Watch some youtubes of the winter storms around Ames. I'll find you one in a minute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjEAOjmGpJI

I haven't met many SoCA transplants that lasted more than a year in the Des Moines metro as it is, and they wouldn't have liked Ft. Dodge.

It's possible that you and your family have the proper mindset to adapt, but you really need the "boots on the ground" experience to make an informed decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa