Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 04:54 AM

75 posts, read 177,039 times

Advertisements

Iv been shopping for a smaller house to escape Iowa City property taxes and noticed CR's tax levy isn't any lower.

What's up with that? I can understand how the U of I and all the rich folks can drive home values and taxes up in IC.. But blue collar CR?

I imagine its all the public services linn and johnson county claims we must have. But this is getting out of hand and Im not the only one wondering if I can afford them after retirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 06:56 AM

50 posts, read 67,706 times
I have heard it's because of having to rebuild a lot of things after the floods, but I don't know for sure.

Old 06-21-2016, 07:05 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaRose View Post
I have heard it's because of having to rebuild a lot of things after the floods, but I don't know for sure.
That's what I heard, too. Go farther east or west and prices drop.

Old 06-21-2016, 08:08 AM

Thanks.

My property taxes have increased 150% in the 16 years Iv owned the home, or OVER 9% per year. While the value of the home increases like the 2.5% cost of living.

At this rate, the property taxes will drive the blue collar people right out.

I like it here, but this is ridiculous!

Old 06-21-2016, 09:42 AM

576 posts, read 831,416 times
The flood was a perfect excuse for the city council to spend money on empire building to inflate their egos. Another factor in the higher taxes was to pay for the "economic development plan" of putting billboards up in Chicago to invite "people" to move to Cedar Rapids at a time when Illinois in general and Chicago in particular were cutting back on welfare programs. This increased social services and police costs in CR.

Old 06-21-2016, 01:57 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,874 times
Default Cedar rapids...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey59 View Post
The flood was a perfect excuse for the city council to spend money on empire building to inflate their egos. Another factor in the higher taxes was to pay for the "economic development plan" of putting billboards up in Chicago to invite "people" to move to Cedar Rapids at a time when Illinois in general and Chicago in particular were cutting back on welfare programs. This increased social services and police costs in CR.

I'd love to see some credible supporting links to give credence or basis for everything you've said here.
I hear "Iowa" marketed on the Marketplace (business segments) run by the American Public Radio Network. It seems rather logical that Iowa or cities in Iowa would also market themselves to the 3rd largest (& nearby) metro in the country.
The metro Chicago population is at approximately 9 million & is commonly a target for biz & population recruitment by other states as well, i.e. Wisconsin & Indiana for example.
Are you insinuating that only the dregs of metro Chicago were the target of the city of Cedar Rapids campaign?
If so, as I said here a second ago, let's see some supporting links

Old 06-21-2016, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Are you insinuating that only the dregs of metro Chicago were the target of the city of Cedar Rapids campaign?
If so, as I said here a second ago, let's see some supporting links
That's a bit far.. But why would employed happy people want to leave chicago anyway?

When these transplants commit crimes, we see who they are, and form our own opinion thank you.

If you want to discuss this further please go here.

The Chicago Factor

Old 06-21-2016, 09:53 PM

576 posts, read 831,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rerod View Post
That's a bit far.. But why would employed happy people want to leave chicago anyway?

When these transplants commit crimes, we see who they are, and form our own opinion thank you.

If you want to discuss this further please go here.

The Chicago Factor
LOL! Great points rerod!

I lived in CR during this migration atler.... Did you?

Old 06-22-2016, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey59 View Post
LOL! Great points rerod!

I lived in CR during this migration atler.... Did you?
No, Ive been down in Iowa City. Grew up here, then spent 6 years in the coast guard on the east coast, then moved back..

Iowa City sure has grown and changed since the 70's

One incident stands out for me. Naperville (CHICAGO) resident Marcus Owens and his Hate Crime lies..

Lessons gleaned from a web of lies in Iowa - Chicago Tribune

I'm sure I could find more incidents if I dug. But I will say I wont venture south of Highway 6 much anymore after two colored individuals walking down the middle of the street wouldn't let me drive by, like they owned it. I turned around..
Another time I was waiting for a little caesar's pizza on the wrong side of Hwy 6 when I heard someone yell over, and over a word I didn't knew existed.. After a few more yells, I realized the yelling was directed at me.. "Do I know you?"

Either incident, (there have been others) I felt kind of lucky nothing happened. Its a shame some people cant just live their lives without confronting perfect strangers

When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to float them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because someone else is going to get what they worked for, that is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Property taxes? Your right, the two topics are connected Dewey.

Whether its the cause of sky rocketing property taxes and why I cant or wont retire in IC is debatable.

Last edited by rerod; 06-22-2016 at 05:01 AM..

Old 06-22-2016, 07:50 AM

2,019 posts, read 3,194,915 times
I think one of the reasons property taxes have increased is due to all the road construction currently taking place. For the past year, roads are being completely replaced including sidewalks and landscaping in the center medians (Collins Road and First Avenue). Also school funding is a big one.

I'm concerned about all the building downtown of apartments and lofts. Not sure there are enough interested people to fill those but we will see. When I go to the NewBo area where many of these buildings are being built, I do see people lounging on their balconies.

As far as Chicago, many of those transplants came with vouchers that started several years ago. My kids were in the CR school system at the time and there was a noticeable increase with problems in the school and crime overall. However, I've never heard of "signs advertising CR in Chicago," as discussed on this forum.

Last edited by smpliving; 06-22-2016 at 08:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
View detailed profiles of: