U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 12:08 PM

5,105 posts, read 6,781,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitae View Post
and the police had to repeatedly come to the hawkeye wildlife area (biggest public hunting area near CR/IC) to shut down what apparently were orgies (virtually everyone there was repeatedly cited for indecent exposure so I have to assume that's what was going on)
I guess that I go to the wrong parks. At Yellow Banks, the most risque thing I've ever seen was a guy in his underwear after he caught his jeans on fire trying to set off an illegal firework.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 08:04 PM

50 posts, read 53,488 times
I would think you should be able to find a daycare to work at in Ames. As others have mentioned, ISU is a good school for IT. Ames has a fairly diverse population because the university brings in a lot of people from all over, so I don't think you would have a problem fitting in. It is a pricey town to live in. Friends of mine recently moved out of town in order to be able to afford their first home, but other than being expensive, they loved Ames. Ames and Des Moines are only about a 30 to 45 min. drive apart in good weather depending on where you are headed in the metro. Be prepared for hot, humid summers and cold winters, but if you are coming from Indiana, you already are used to that.

Old 07-05-2016, 11:42 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,623,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice Malone View Post
I think this is a really good post.

I don't think most people will even realize there are gangs and drugs here I Des Moines though. It is much safer than the places alot of people will relocate from. Only city I've felt safe in while driving down MLK. Also most people will move to Des Moines for economic reasons. They aren't coming here to live in a trashy apartment near Drake. If you are a professional you are going to be living in WDM, Waukee, or Ankeny most likely. There are other nice places surrounding Des Moines too.

You won't figure out how to enjoy the outdoors until you've lived here for a while. You are 100% right about the shock of limited outdoorsy stuff. This is especially true of the Des Moines metro. If you are not willing to take a 3 hour trip on a Saturday to check out the best Iowa has to offer in that department then you won't see much. If you are into nature Cedar Rapids/IC is a better fit cause all of the best stuff is in East IA. We have Ledges State Park in Central IA, but Eastern part of the state (especially NE) is as good as it gets. I will say though that IA is an extremely fun state to explore. There are all kinds of unheard of little parks and other spots out in the middle of nowhere that you will come across that are really great. Most people in Iowa aren't to adventurous either, so you will have it all to yourself. Also IA is a very safe place to go camping or head into the wilderness. Biggest concern is probably poison ivy. Not a whole lot than can kill you here compared to other states.
Don't forget about the Loess Hills out west. It's not quite as picturesque as the IA Driftless Area, but it's also a lot closer to DSM (not much more than a 90 minute drive on I-80/680, give or take).

Old 07-05-2016, 01:56 PM

5,105 posts, read 6,781,811 times
Thanks for the reminder about Loess Hills!

I'm off this week and spent the morning at Gray's Lake, which is near downtown Des Moines. I walked a little of the trail by the lake and sketched several scenes. It was a nice place to be!

Old 07-07-2016, 07:15 PM

229 posts, read 267,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
Don't forget about the Loess Hills out west. It's not quite as picturesque as the IA Driftless Area, but it's also a lot closer to DSM (not much more than a 90 minute drive on I-80/680, give or take).
I've never been, but have heard of it. I'm going to go there or preparation canyon later this year. Which has better hiking and camping?

Last edited by Juice Malone; 07-07-2016 at 08:07 PM..

Old 07-08-2016, 06:28 AM

3,637 posts, read 3,614,471 times
Default Thinking of moving...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice Malone View Post
I've never been, but have heard of it. I'm going to go there or preparation canyon later this year. Which has better hiking and camping?
Preparation Canyon State Park is in Harrison County & in the Loess Hills.
Given that I've not been to that park, I can't speak to it's amenities other than as what info is found via the internet.

Old 07-08-2016, 08:48 PM

586 posts, read 2,008,266 times
NE Iowa and the Driftless area has way more to offer than the Loess Hills do. Both are worthy of visiting, but no contest if you're comparing the two.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:42 PM

2 posts, read 1,994 times
The whole of Des Moines is pretty nice. Here are some zip codes that you should look into.
50310, 50310, 50321, 50322, 50324, 50325. Welcome to Des Moines.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:12 PM

16 posts, read 16,027 times
I agree with most of what has already been said but here's a few additional notes from a former resident of Newburgh IN.

You mentioned renting, well Cedar RApids where I've been for the past 2 years is full of scumbag slumlords which is why I'm planning on leaving.

Iowa City ( U of I) is almost as liberal as San Fransleazy. The'Creative Corridor' is mostly a promotion by the local fishwrap known as The Gazette.

As for earthquakes, from one who spent 13 years in Silicon Valley, when the New Madrid fault slips most of Iowa will be a mess. When NM slipped back in about 1810, it was felt in DC.

The tech scene is a few large companies, not many startups; the Kaufman Institute ranks Iowa down near the bottom of the states on entrepreneurships.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed is another resource to consider before making a decision, they have about 170 data points on numerous cities.

Last edited by Yac; 08-04-2016 at 06:39 AM..

Old 07-28-2016, 06:44 AM

2 posts, read 1,994 times
Default Moving to Des Moines, Iowa

Few weeks ago, I was at this company address, when one of their clients mentioned that she had moved from LA and was talking about how she liked living in the 50311. So this is another good zipcode for sure and I knew this already. The more you go to the west of this zipcode, the better I think.

And of course if you go further to the west side of Des Moines like West Des Moines, Waukee, Grimes or north west to Johnston, you will like it better but the cost goes up a bit. So I think you have a lot of choices, but if the cost is in consideration, then stay in Des Moines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or