U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2008, 11:11 AM

209 posts, read 1,026,429 times

Advertisements

I found this neat site, the link is here...

StateMaster - US Statistics, State Comparisons

It has a bunch of neat stats.

For example: Iowa is 13th in Wal-Marts per capita
Arkansas is first, Alaska is last.

Some more:

IA ranks 19th in restaraunts per capita.
Washington DC ranks first, Utah last.

IA ranks 40th in shopping malls per capita.
Connecticut is first, South Dakota, last.

IA ranks 39th in black population per capita.
Washington DC is first, Montana, last.

IA ranks 37th in people who speak spanish at home.
New Mexico is first, West Virginia, last.

IA ranks 30th in aggravated assaults per capita.
Washington DC is first, North Dakota, last.

IA ranks 30th in burglaries per capita.
North Carolina is first, North Dakota, last.

IA ranks 44th in number of hate crimes per capita.
Washington DC is first, Alabama is last.

IA ranks 6th in Health Index.
Vermont is first, Louisiana is last.

IA ranks 15th in Alternative Fuel Consuming Vehicles.
Illinois was 3rd, Indiana 10th, Wisconsin 11th. California-1. Alaska-50.

IA ranks 2nd in Ethanol Consumption Per Capita.
Minnesota was 1st, South Dakota, 3rd, Illinois, 4th, Massachusetts-50.

IA ranks 8th in Gasoline Consumption Per Capita.
Wyoming was first, California was last.

IA ranks 3rd in Wind Energy Production.
Wyoming was first, Missouri was last.

IA ranks 6th in Best State to Live.
New Hampshire was first, Mississippi was last.

Iowa ranks 7th Lowest Household Size.
DC was first, Utah was last.

IA ranks 6th in Total Number of Tornadoes.
Texas was first, DC was last.

IA ranks 29th in Gross State Production
California was first, Vermont was last.

IA ranks 23rd in Gross State Production *Total Dollars Per Capita.*
DC was first, Mississippi was last (no surprise there.)

Another little tidbit, today in the Dubuque paper, I read that we have recieved 60.6" of snow so far this season. That puts us at 7th snowiest ever... The winter of 1992-93 was 6th place with 63.9 inches.

Do you remember what happened in 1993? There was a big, historical flood in the Upper Mississippi Valley. A few more inches and we will have had more snow than we had during that season...

I am thinking major flooding this spring.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 11:48 AM

681 posts, read 2,835,621 times
I'm glad to see us so low in hate crimes and burglaries and so high in health and wind energy. Wish we could get that gasoline consumption number down a little bit though.

On the flooding...a lot depends on how this snowpack is going to melt. A lot also depends on whether we have a soaker of a spring and summer. I doubt we'll see 1993 flooding again in our lifetimes...that was a "perfect storm", if you will. Serious flooding is a real possibility, though.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:03 PM

That is true. I bet a good 10-20 inches came out of that perfect storm alone, at least here. Some areas in the southeast had 4 feet of snow.

We have, in Dubuque, had 2 snowstorms this season that have produced over 10 inches of snow. This is pretty rare, even for Iowa.

Hopefully we will be done soon, but I have heard nasty rumors we are in for round 1,624 this weekend. lol.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:58 PM

310 posts, read 1,193,056 times
I don't see much flooding this spring unless we have a ton of rainfall. Snow has very little moisture in the grand scheme of things. One snow flake generally has 1/20th the amount of water as a rain drop.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:18 PM

Actually it is more like 1/10th and could be as low as 1/5th. The really light snow can be as high as 1/30th, though.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:21 PM

I know all about snow/water/temperature ratios... so you can't really argue with me over stuff like that without me correcting you! No offense or anything...

The snow that is currently on the ground here has a snow ratio around 1/10. With 15-25 inches of snow on the ground that makes 1.5-2.5 inches of rain. If we get a big rain storm to melt all of it at once, that all ready dumps say, 3, 4 inches of rain on the ground at once, and I am not saying it will, but there you have 4.5-6.5" of water......
not to mention the densest fog you will ever, ever encounter. We saw some in the beginning of January with that very short "thaw" and it was quite severe, closed schools in our area for three days.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:24 PM

7,065 posts, read 2,879,927 times
That is very interesting dubuqueaskme. Thanks for posting it .

Old 02-18-2008, 09:25 PM

310 posts, read 1,193,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubuqueaskme View Post
I know all about snow/water/temperature ratios... so you can't really argue with me over stuff like that without me correcting you! No offense or anything...

The snow that is currently on the ground here has a snow ratio around 1/10. With 15-25 inches of snow on the ground that makes 1.5-2.5 inches of rain. If we get a big rain storm to melt all of it at once, that all ready dumps say, 3, 4 inches of rain on the ground at once, and I am not saying it will, but there you have 4.5-6.5" of water......
not to mention the densest fog you will ever, ever encounter. We saw some in the beginning of January with that very short "thaw" and it was quite severe, closed schools in our area for three days.
Oh I'll argue with you alright, you've gone as far as to lie that you are a college grad (you're in high school) so any credibility that you may have had (you had none from me in the first place) is now out the window, flapping in the wind along with all of your lies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa