U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 06:59 AM

1,649 posts, read 2,359,252 times

Advertisements

"A new study released this week by Smart Asset, names Cedar Rapids as the number one city to raise children in America.

It's the second year in a row the city has earned the honor. Des Moines and Council Bluffs also made the list.

Like last year, Smart Asset took 13 factors into account including cost of living, graduation rate, air and water quality, and kid friendly entertainment. (To view the full study and it’s factors click here.)

The study’s findings came down to statistics.

CBS2/FOX28 News wanted to hear what the people say, not just the numbers, so we talked to parents at a Corridor park ... "

Cedar Rapids #1 place in America to raise kids | KGAN

https://smartasset.com/mortgage/the-...ildren-in-2016

Last edited by smpliving; 08-08-2016 at 07:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 09:45 AM

560 posts, read 545,970 times
I can't see how CR made #1 if air quality was one of the factors. There is a reason for the nickname "City of 5 smells"!

However, the rest of it I can see. It is a good place to raise kids. If you are single or kid-less, not so great.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:07 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,815,162 times
I assume “air quality” relates to harmful effects of elements in the air.

Just because it might smell bad doesn’t mean it is harmful to health.

Just guessing.

Congrats to CR!

Old 08-08-2016, 10:15 AM

3,617 posts, read 3,556,956 times
Those of us who live in large metros in which "air quality" warnings are regular occurrences at various times of the year for the existence of pollutant material or ozone, can appreciate an area that lacks such warnings as a given part of life there.
Many larger cities often have a brown cloud or grey cloud hovering overhead that can readily be observed from the air or a distance.

Old 08-08-2016, 11:23 AM

1,649 posts, read 2,359,252 times
I quickly scanned the below link from the American Lung Association and it looks like Cedar Rapids gets a "C" rating for air quality (2016), so ADM and nearby industries must have something to do with that. That does surprise me as the air always looks clear and ADM is confined to the south end of town.

Iowa | American Lung Association

Old 08-09-2016, 05:38 AM

387 posts, read 541,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey59 View Post
I can't see how CR made #1 if air quality was one of the factors. There is a reason for the nickname "City of 5 smells"!
It's because these lists are arbitrary BS to begin with. Anyone who believes this garbage isn't fit to raise children in the first place.

Old 08-09-2016, 07:07 AM

49 posts, read 43,026 times
I wish it was as good as this article makes it sound. Some issues:

I don't understand why they are so secretive about the factors they considered. They keep saying there are 13. Their chart shows 6 (intergenerational mobility, percentage of population 19 or younger, high school graduation rate, child mortality rate, air quality index, and math/reading proficiency). Did they decide not to use their other 7 factors? The overall score appears to be a result of only these 6.

Why is percentage of population 19 or younger a factor to consider? Is more young people good or bad? Why?

This study ranks places with lower average home prices as better. This is stupid. Lower home prices doesn't mean an area is more affordable, it means it has a bunch of cheap homes. A place with a bunch of dirt cheap homes isn't necessarily a good place to raise kids, if it were trailer parks would the best places in America. I'm questioning why they didn't use average cost per square foot instead if they were trying to show that CR has affordable homes. Cedar Rapids has lots of cheap houses but it isn't actually more affordable to get a house here.

The childrens entertainment metric seems problematic. They just decide what they consider entertainment and then focused on quantity. There's no metric for quality. So in their study the Czech Museum in CR counts as equally entertaining as say, the Mall of America, Disneyland, SeaWorld, etc.

Lastly and maybe most importantly, why on earth did they not factor in crime rate? I think most people would care about that when choosing a place to live and it would have bumped CR down significantly.

I like CR but it is nowhere near as good as this study makes it out to be. It almost feels the variables were cherry picked to make CR look good and anything that made it look bad was ignored.

Last edited by Vitae; 08-09-2016 at 07:19 AM..

Old 08-09-2016, 07:18 AM

49 posts, read 43,026 times
Basically what this study is saying is: If you don't care about crime, want to live in a low income area, and think all children's entertainment is basically the same, Cedar Rapids is the best place to raise kids. And in that context it might actually be true.

Old 08-09-2016, 08:24 AM

3,617 posts, read 3,556,956 times
Default Cedar Rapids..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitae View Post
Basically what this study is saying is: If you don't care about crime, want to live in a low income area, and think all children's entertainment is basically the same, Cedar Rapids is the best place to raise kids. And in that context it might actually be true.

As with many studies that look at and rate/rank various places & topics, you may have valid concerns about some of the metrics that are measured here & how they are applied to compute a score for Cedar Rapids and the other cities in the study. However, your "If you don't care..." remarks regarding Cedar Rapids in your later post of this a.m. do not seem to be on the mark at all with the purpose of the study or it's conclusions. In other words, I don't see anything in the data or it's conclusions that particularly back that train of thought especially given the details listed in the 7 viewable categories.

Old 08-09-2016, 01:57 PM

560 posts, read 545,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funksoulbro View Post
It's because these lists are arbitrary BS to begin with. Anyone who believes this garbage isn't fit to raise children in the first place.
Good point. I really question the validity of most of these ratings now days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or