U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 06:53 AM

3,612 posts, read 3,555,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jswerve View Post
I live in Iowa. I was born and raised here. I like Iowa, I like that it's not overcrowded, love the cool summer nights with the windows open, love riding my Harley on county roads with rarely any interaction with other vehicles, love how green it gets in the spring and summer, love the fall colors.

Having said all of that, I STAY IN THE HOUSE ALL WINTER!! I HATE WINTER!!! I hate how gloomy it gets here, from November when the trees lose their last leaves, until about the end of May/beginning of April. I find it very depressing.

My wife and I lived in Georgia for 4 years about 20 years ago. We have been researching South Carolina and are planning a move there. I cannot do the long winters any more. SC is a great compromise because it still has 4 seasons and the mountains and ocean are both a couple hour drive. Location, location, location. I love having 4 seasons I just don't like Winter being the longest one.

Best wishes.

It was interesting reading your view point here & I noted the contrast in our experiences as well as our preferences.
Raised in Iowa & gone now for 37 years, I m hoping to get the heck of out of Georgia (immediately next door to South Carolina) when I retire.
The weather here is only one factor for me but it's an important one nevertheless as I can hardly emphasize enough how much I HATE summer down here! For me it's a miserable season, seemingly by far longest one, with few breaks in the stifling heat & humidity.
Too each their own, as has been rightly said a million times before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 07:34 AM

215 posts, read 197,942 times
Quote:
I live in Iowa. I was born and raised here. I like Iowa, I like that it's not overcrowded, love the cool summer nights with the windows open, love riding my Harley on county roads with rarely any interaction with other vehicles, love how green it gets in the spring and summer, love the fall colors.

Having said all of that, I STAY IN THE HOUSE ALL WINTER!! I HATE WINTER!!! I hate how gloomy it gets here, from November when the trees lose their last leaves, until about the end of May/beginning of April. I find it very depressing.

My wife and I lived in Georgia for 4 years about 20 years ago. We have been researching South Carolina and are planning a move there. I cannot do the long winters any more. SC is a great compromise because it still has 4 seasons and the mountains and ocean are both a couple hour drive. Location, location, location. I love having 4 seasons I just don't like Winter being the longest one.

Best wishes.
Agreed. Living in the Midwest most of my life I've grown to hate winter more every year. Here in central Iowa October, November, December, January, February and March all feature weather that will kill you if you spend too much time outside. You'll have a 6 month growing season, if that. I retire in two years and we're OUTTA HERE!

The folks are nice, though.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:15 AM

9,400 posts, read 10,231,618 times
Quote:

Best wishes.

This was exactly me...and I now live in Phoenix. We have 2 seasons, spring/summer and December/January That's all I need. 4 is overrated! I really like Iowa, I love Des Moines, but I just couldn't do it anymore.

For those that say there is only a few weeks of real winter or that winter "isn't that bad" obviously don't have SAD or aren't severely effected by the weather like some of the rest of us. "Not that bad" might mean it is 50 degrees on a February day, but that's still TERRIBLE to some people. For me it wasn't just the grey and gloom (Iowa is actually sunnier than some other places in the winter) it was just the downright COLD and the being forced to stay indoors. The boots and coats and gloves. All of it.

To Jswerve, I am glad you are looking to move! I have a lot of friends that are miserable November to May like you are and I was, but they stay put. I like to say to them, "you do realize you can leave, right?"

Old 08-24-2016, 03:22 PM

6,503 posts, read 4,008,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ION1010 View Post
Agreed. Living in the Midwest most of my life I've grown to hate winter more every year. Here in central Iowa October, November, December, January, February and March all feature weather that will kill you if you spend too much time outside. You'll have a 6 month growing season, if that. I retire in two years and we're OUTTA HERE!

The folks are nice, though.
What's gonna kill you in October? A leaf falling off a tree at a mild autumnal breeze? Get real. The only dangerous time there is the odd day when a tornado is blowing through. October and November are fall months, and even in the dead of winter, unless you're not dressed right (which is moronic) or fall through a crack in the ice into an icy watery death, you're fine. Goodness, people survive in Minnesota and Wisconsin just fine. People survive in the massive landmass called Canada, just fine.

Old 08-27-2016, 08:43 AM

818 posts, read 581,640 times
Charles, I lived in CR for 23 years, and Fontana for over 10. So I can relate to you a bit on what you are wondering about.

I understand about the summer heat in Inland CA. Even though it's 10 degrees cooler than you over here in Fontana, it's still 90+, sometimes 100, so it's hard to go out after 10 or 11 am, until the sun starts going down during these summer months. Taking the kids to a hot park is out of the question.

Iowa is a different animal. Completely unpredictable weather, year round. Generally, it starts warming up in March and you have spring thunderstorms. Sometimes, you can get a freak late snow in March or April (very tiring coming out of winter) but it will melt quickly. May and June are nice, then the humidity comes through September. Fall is pretty as the leaves change and it cools down. As November rolls around, it generally snows after Thanksgiving, although I have seen it snow in late October some years. Winter is neat until after New Years. In the beginning, it's new and fun, the Christmas lights sparkle. After New Years, it starts dragging on and people can't wait til March.

Cedar Rapids is a big bar town. The main culture there is going to one of the immense number of bars around town, most are neighborhood bars and dive bars, some are nicer, and a few are upscale. Go to Yellow Pages, type "bars and taverns" in the search, and search in Cedar Rapids. The first 75 listings are all the bars around town, and it's a town of 200,000 people or so. That's a lot of bars. I've been to most of them.

Your winter options are limited there, downtown are a couple nice live theaters, the art museum, there are some malls around town and down in Iowa City. Iowa City was ranked #1 college party town a couple years ago. Iowa Hawkeye football season dominates the culture from September through New Years, a lot of people travel to see whatever bowl game the Hawkeyes play in.

A lot of people bowl in leagues that run August through March. I know that CR has had a lot of positive changes since the Flood of 2008 there, a lot of new places have opened, a huge summer farmers market downtown, NewBo, new restaurants downtown, etc. CR is not a bad place 9 months of the year, especially with all the outdoor things to do when the weather is nice in the summer, but honestly winter sucks.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:01 AM

100 posts, read 81,842 times
Drink beer and watch football.

Old 08-31-2016, 10:41 AM

449 posts, read 1,260,582 times
Interesting to read the summer/hot vs. the winter/cold responses the thread turned into. I see both sides. Myself I hate the extremes of both summer and winter. On a national level; however, people seem to much rather put up with the heat than the cold. Droves of people leaving New England and the Midwest to retire in Phoenix or Florida do so for a reason. You never hear about people leaving Florida or Phoenix to retire in Iowa, Michigan UP, Minnesota, the Dakotas, New England, etc., although I am sure a few do. Snow Birds flock to the Southwest or Florida from the Holidays through mid May. You never hear about Phoenix/Florida Summer Birds flying to Minnesota or Vermont during the summer months. Anyway for a nice area that gets four seasons of which little is "extreme", I may check into Asheville, NC.

Old 08-31-2016, 01:13 PM

6,056 posts, read 5,651,486 times
TONS of people from other states (especially people from the Chicago area) have summer homes in Northern Minnesota, Northern Wisconsin, and the UP of Michigan. I'm sure there are some of these out-of-staters with summer homes in the Lake Okoboji area of Iowa, too. Actually, come to think of it, one well-known poster on C-D who lives in Arizona most of the year spends his summers in Northern Minnesota.

That's common knowledge in this area. But don't spread the word or too many people will come up here!

Old 09-01-2016, 08:13 AM

338 posts, read 264,997 times
In the winter, you do your inside things, whatever those are. Read, watch movies, go to the gym, crafty stuff (for those who are into that). My mom used to bundle up and go for a walk every morning, but I don't think that's very common, unless you're dedicated. I didn't see a lot of people outside in the areas where I lived.

Old 09-01-2016, 12:33 PM

9,243 posts, read 17,629,648 times
For me, May through December is by and large a huge blur because of all the things I'm involved with during that time. For that reason I actually look forward to the down time I have in the winter, it lets me catch up on my reading, housework, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or