Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2016, 11:20 PM

3 posts, read 3,315 times

Advertisements

Plan on moving to Iowa in the Spring and am coming from So Cal and was wondering if anyone on the forum installed SAD(seasonal affective disorder) Lights. Did they help? Grew up in Minnesota so can prepare for the cold pretty well but sure do love my sunshine. I do remember Winter days going on and on without the sun so putting-up SAD lights might give me some help on those long cloudy weeks.

Thanks much for any input.

Charlie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2016, 01:26 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
I had SAD in Ohio.

I tried a lot of different things, but what worked for me was a combination of exposing my forearms to natural light over the noon hour and an hour each night with the light boxes from Mid-December - April. My boss at the time let me move to a temp cube that was in the hallway under a large southern window.

But, honestly, I got to January of my first winter in Iowa, and I was still fine without the light boxes. I was making a point of walking outside during my lunch break, unless it was pouring rain or too slippery. The test was January and February, when I wasn't outside as much -- I was still fine.

I've been through 3 winters out here, now. No problems. There is enough light for me. Others complain there is not, but I came from an area that could go 19 days without sun. That's not true in Iowa. I think 4 days is probably the longest.

I don't know how you will fare coming from CA with even more light than here. Other CA transplants have been OK. Their problems were more with things we didn't have, like fresh seafood (hours old, rather than weeks old).

Added: there are a few posters on C-D who pooh-pooh SAD, but I know it's real. I had problems with it off and on for years without knowing what it was. I just knew I did a lot better in the winter when did things outside all the time.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:42 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,610,481 times
October and November can be fairly grey and gloomy. March too. But you can be outside doing things.

On the colder days of winter there's no cloud cover to trap in heat. (Obviously not talking about days with snow storms)

Winter can be blindingly bright a lot of days.. Can't really spend that much time outside when it's that cold, but you can open the curtains and let the sun in.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:04 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Upper Midwest Winter is far better than the eastern Great Lakes region or Ohio Valley. Very little sunlight at all, but not much snowfall to brighten things up outside of the Snowbelt. I can't say I enjoy 35-40F highs with days of rain in the Winter. Snow is much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa