Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2008, 07:15 PM

6 posts, read 30,910 times

Advertisements

Please Help! I am thinking of moving my family to Cedar Falls Iowa. I have heard the elementary schools are "not rough" but are they good and why? Also, I know nothing about the junior highs or Cedar Falls High School. Do these schools also service the Waterloo area or just Cedar Falls? Can anyone provide me with some info about the schools.
Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 07:24 PM

2,072 posts, read 5,416,603 times
The Cedar Falls schools are very very good, and have a very good reputation. I graduated from them. Don't let Waterloo's traditional bad reputation influence you.

The Cedar Falls school district does cover one small area of far western waterloo which is basically CF. All very nice areas though.

As for the middle schools, there is Peet, and Holmes. Holmes is known as the more "well-off" school, they're coverage area includes the *some of* the newest areas of town, I believe this is why.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:42 AM

Do you know of anywhere I can find rankings of the Iowa schools?

Old 02-25-2008, 09:55 AM

2,072 posts, read 5,416,603 times
Iowa Public School Rankings

Old 02-25-2008, 11:03 AM

35 posts, read 122,636 times
Default Cedar Falls school

Cedar Falls is a town right next to Waterloo. They are two different school districts. I recommend to have your children attend Cedar Falls schools. Stay away from North Cedar if you can. But all the rest should be just fine. My daughter attended school there. She is an adult now, but was in a few different buildings as we moved to different homes within Cedar Falls. Cedar Falls is a great community. I no longer live there, but it would be great if I could return. I am sure you will like it.

Any more questions.....feel free to write.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:00 PM

Thanks for the information-

Were you happy wiith Cedar Falls High School? I have heard it is a good High School-if you found it to be a good school-why?
Why should I avoid North Cedar? Is that an area or school?
What makes Cedar Falls so great?
Do the UNI students live in a certain part of town or do they live all over?

So many questions!
Thanks so much!

Old 02-27-2008, 12:29 PM

35 posts, read 122,636 times
Default Cedar Falls school

I lived right down the street from CF high school for about 5 years. Later. my step children attended that school and my niece and nephew. It is a very good school scholastically, musically and with sports. It is a very nice and safe high school for students to attend and participate in. North Cedar is on the north side of Cedar Falls, across the river. Long ago when I lived on an acreage in that school district, there were many families that lived in the less fortunate part of town which is just north of the river. Some of the kids had a hard life and had to be tough. Cedar Falls has grown so much since that time that I wouldn't know how tough it is anymore, but it is an area known for less fortunate people. There are new subdivisions in that area and a great state park so the are north of the river is not "bad". If you drive through it, you can tell where you would prefer to settle. My daughter went to Holmes Jr. High and my niece and nephew went to Peet Jr. High. Again.....it's just the age of the neighborhoods, but I personally feel they are both very nice schools. There is also a Catholic K-12 school (St. Patrick's) which is very nice also. There are nice parks, wonderful summer events, weekly concerts in the parks, movie night in the park, art in the park at UNI, great bicycle/hiking trails. I think you would be happy. IT's a safe place to live. The college area is just congested with lots of students. And students can "party", so it gets kinda noisy up in that area. UNI is a wonderful college as well as is Wartburg, a private college 15 miles north. Cedar Falls has nice shopping, restaurants, a great natural food store, etc. You can always find something to do.

Anything else I forgot to answer?

falcon

Old 02-28-2008, 11:12 AM

I think you answered them all. Thanks so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa