Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2016, 05:27 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,255 times

Advertisements

It struck me that this project that involves the former J.C. Penney Building in downtown Burlington was part of a common trend to repurpose older buildings for new futures that is an ongoing trend in various cites & smaller towns in the state.
It's actually part of a trend that is national in scope & a welcome one imho as people & investors attempt to revitalize & remake their cores and other areas.
Feel free to comment or to add news of other projects here & perhaps this can be an ongoing thread with constant updates on both newly announced & current/finished projects.

Burlington investors turn JC Penney store into restaurant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 07:07 PM

824 posts, read 713,195 times
I'm pretty sure there is also a old hospital that is getting renavated into apartments in ottumwa, that project was announced a couple of months ago.?

Old 08-22-2016, 06:29 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,255 times
Default Repurposing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeasterner1970 View Post
I'm pretty sure there is also a old hospital that is getting renavated into apartments in ottumwa, that project was announced a couple of months ago.?

Do you have a link for news of the Ottumwa project that you can add here? Your reply is just the sort of thing that I would like to see happen with this thread & a news link for it would be the icing on the cake.
My own hospital of birth in Fort Dodge closed decades ago & was repurposed into a residential use long ago otherwise I'd include news of it here too..

Old 08-22-2016, 04:40 PM

824 posts, read 713,195 times
Blackbird: St. Joe's renovations still a priority | Local News | ottumwacourier.com Right here.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:23 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,292,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
It struck me that this project that involves the former J.C. Penney Building in downtown Burlington was part of a common trend to repurpose older buildings for new futures that is an ongoing trend in various cites & smaller towns in the state.
It's actually part of a trend that is national in scope & a welcome one imho as people & investors attempt to revitalize & remake their cores and other areas.
Feel free to comment or to add news of other projects here & perhaps this can be an ongoing thread with constant updates on both newly announced & current/finished projects.

Burlington investors turn JC Penney store into restaurant

If you have ever been in downtown Burlington you would know that ALL of the buildings downtown have been repurposed into something else. The JC Penney building there has not had a JC Penney store in it for decades, for instance. This is business as usual in Bton.

Old 08-26-2016, 04:20 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,349,631 times
Atler, you might be interested to know (in the event you didn't catch that already), Blackbird is the same developer working on the Younker's site in downtown Des Moines.

Old 09-01-2016, 01:22 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,267,886 times
Here's an older article from when the project was first announced. I really hope this project flies. I hate to see old buildings stand vacant and fall into disrepair, and I hate to see any structurally-sound building demolished.

But I can't really see much demand for this type of housing in Ottumwa. There is a shortage of rental units, but the demand is more for lower-end units in the $400-$800 range. $800-$1200 is a lot for rent down here, and most people in this area that could swing a payment like that are more inclined to look at buying rather than renting.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not optimistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa