U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 10:59 PM

3 posts, read 2,784 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to plan a mini vacation for me and my wife. I could really use some help. I'm looking for something no further than a four to six hour drive in the middle of October for about four days. Don't mind traveling out of state. Really just want away from the city in the middle of nowhere. Something off the beaten path would be perfect, don't need to be fancy. Would prefer its not. The more off grid it is the better. We don't mind walking a bit if it's off a trail. The only thing that is required would be a kitchenette or some way to cook & a bathroom. Would love a cabin or tiny home in the woods feel. Something we can lock ourselves away in for a few days & reconnect.
This is my first time planning something like this and I really want it to be a good experience. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thank you,
Elle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 07:56 AM

107 posts, read 183,294 times
Check out the Amana Colonies.

Old 09-09-2016, 07:19 AM

215 posts, read 198,490 times
Warsaw, MO, Grand River Resort is nice. Warsaw has interesting antique/consignment shops, a great Mexican restaurant and two fabulous sandwich shops. If you can get a cabin during their Fall festival Oct. 15th and 16th it has lots of interesting activities.

https://www.everfest.com/e/warsaw-he...days-warsaw-mo

Old 09-09-2016, 10:23 AM

1,649 posts, read 2,360,827 times
Try the Galena Illinois area, or nearby Wisconsin. Lots of different options and things to do.

Here is one website I found for cabins but there are many in the area.

Rustic Cabins at the Palace Campgrounds in Galena IL!

Fall in love again with Galena, Illinois | Midwest Living

Old 09-09-2016, 05:07 PM

21,437 posts, read 37,682,888 times
Black River State Forest area, Black River Falls, WI.

Old 09-09-2016, 07:15 PM

4,523 posts, read 7,653,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamoore2 View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to plan a mini vacation for me and my wife. I could really use some help. I'm looking for something no further than a four to six hour drive in the middle of October for about four days. Don't mind traveling out of state. Really just want away from the city in the middle of nowhere. Something off the beaten path would be perfect, don't need to be fancy. Would prefer its not. The more off grid it is the better. We don't mind walking a bit if it's off a trail. The only thing that is required would be a kitchenette or some way to cook & a bathroom. Would love a cabin or tiny home in the woods feel. Something we can lock ourselves away in for a few days & reconnect.
This is my first time planning something like this and I really want it to be a good experience. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thank you,
Elle
Try Mahoney State Park in Nebraska but you may need to make reservations soon.

Old 09-10-2016, 12:40 AM

6,061 posts, read 5,659,712 times
Forestville State Park near Preston, MN. Beautiful, peaceful, and has cabins. Go horseback riding and caving.

Lanesboro, MN. Lots of quaint bed and breakfasts. Go canoeing on the root river or bike the trail.

Rent a houseboat on the Mississippi. You can do that in Lansing and McGregor, IA and I think in Harpers Ferry, too.

Backbone State Park near Strawberry Point, IA is really pretty, especially in the Fall, and has small rental cabins.

Galena, IL is fun and interesting but can be overly full of tourists.

Old 09-10-2016, 01:42 PM

6,061 posts, read 5,659,712 times
I paid more attention to your wish for a kitchen this time around.

You need to get on airbnb to find whole houses you can find in interesting places. ( www.airbnb.com/s/iowa )

For example,

There's an old creamery in Fertile, IA that has all 5 star reviews. Looks like it's peaceful and pretty, has a kitchen and is on a river.

And there's Red Clover Cabin near Soldier's Grove in WI, which is in a beautiful area. It's a converted granary with a kitchen and has all 5 star reviews.

There's a bunch more.

Have fun!

Old 09-10-2016, 03:44 PM

215 posts, read 198,490 times
A couple other suggestions thanx to the wife: Yurts in Iowa, Yurt Cabins - Madison County Parks

Kirksville, MO cabins on the lake, https://mostateparks.com/park/thousand-hills-state-park

Two Rivers State park (caboose cabins, not too romantic but plenty quirky) http://nebraskastateparks.reserveame...&parkId=230175

Platte River state par, NE. http://nebraskastateparks.reserveame...ue&startIdx=25

And, if you want romantic without the schmaltz, (or kitchen), Lied Lodge in Nebraska City, a great Fall getaway: Specials, Deals & Lodging Packages at Lied Lodge | Nebraska City, NE

Old 09-14-2016, 07:08 AM

221 posts, read 260,199 times
Bed and breakfast in Decorah, IA you are at the door step of drift less area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or