U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-13-2016, 04:37 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
4,272 posts, read 5,082,123 times
Reputation: 5040

Advertisements

Obama won in Iowa...twice. Yep, sounds pretty racist to me.

 
Old 11-13-2016, 05:34 PM
 
513 posts, read 476,658 times
Reputation: 972
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Obama won in Iowa...twice. Yep, sounds pretty racist to me.
Except that was completely obliterated by revenge voting out the 3 judges who voted for legal same sex marriage, they tried to get rid of the others who also voted in favor but just failed to do it.
 
Old 11-13-2016, 07:41 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
4,272 posts, read 5,082,123 times
Reputation: 5040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
Except that was completely obliterated by revenge voting out the 3 judges who voted for legal same sex marriage, they tried to get rid of the others who also voted in favor but just failed to do it.
Are we talking about racism or homophobia?

PRRI

I know this is only one survey, but it looks like Iowa is more accepting than the majority of states. Seems to me like Iowans are just free thinkers.

Last edited by thenewtexan; 11-13-2016 at 08:48 PM..
 
Old 11-14-2016, 05:13 AM
 
61,781 posts, read 87,276,358 times
Reputation: 13589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Iowa isn't diverse enough to be racist towards any racial group. I would venture to guess there are not enough minorities in Iowa to give the natives a reason to be racist. I bet about 95% of the towns in Iowa are less than 5% minority. If the towns had enough minority population that their presence were actually felt, there would be a whole lot more racists in Iowa.
So, Waterloo must be really racist by this assessment, as the city is in the high teens in Black percentage and will likely be about 20% in the next decade. It has 2 Black owned radio stations, if I'm not mistaken, which is rare for most areas outside of the South. You places like Mason City and Marshalltown with high Mexican percentages. I believe the same goes for Sioux City and Muscatine, among others. Des Moines Black percentage is approaching the national Black percentage. I believe the same goes for Davenport as well.

Iowa City and Clinton have had Black mayors. There is also an underrated Black history in the state, with historical organizations in some cities.

So, it is a matter of where you look within the state. I didn't even mention places like Cedar Rapids, Burlington, Fort Madison, Keokuk, Ames, Council Bluffs, Cedar Falls and even Ottumwa and Dubuque.
 
Old 11-14-2016, 07:22 AM
 
Location: Calera, AL
1,199 posts, read 1,578,365 times
Reputation: 1676
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
So, Waterloo must be really racist by this assessment, as the city is in the high teens in Black percentage and will likely be about 20% in the next decade. It has 2 Black owned radio stations, if I'm not mistaken, which is rare for most areas outside of the South. You places like Mason City and Marshalltown with high Mexican percentages. I believe the same goes for Sioux City and Muscatine, among others. Des Moines Black percentage is approaching the national Black percentage. I believe the same goes for Davenport as well.

Iowa City and Clinton have had Black mayors. There is also an underrated Black history in the state, with historical organizations in some cities.

So, it is a matter of where you look within the state. I didn't even mention places like Cedar Rapids, Burlington, Fort Madison, Keokuk, Ames, Council Bluffs, Cedar Falls and even Ottumwa and Dubuque.
Although officially outside of the Rust Belt, Waterloo does have a lot in common with more "traditional" Rust Belt cities such as Flint, Youngstown, Rockford, etc. It's a city traditionally driven by industry (in Waterloo's case, John Deere) and took in thousands of disenfranchised African American workers from places like AL and MS 50 years ago (interestingly, although many black Iowans have a "watered-down" Southern dialect, it still tends to be strong in Waterloo). In the late 1960s and 1970s the city's population peaked (it approached 80K at one point), but was hit hard by recession in the 80s and never fully recovered. It's been holding steady at 67-68K for the past couple of decades.

And there's a good chance Burlington will surpass Waterloo as Iowa's blackest city (per capita at least) in the next decade or two. The difference between Burlington and Waterloo is that Burlington's black population tends to originate from Chicago rather than the South.

And if you want a truly diverse community, look at Storm Lake. For a town of just over 10K, it has an unusually high Hispanic and Asian population (about 40 and 15 percent, respectively). Its relatively small black population (still south of 10%) is mostly fueled by African immigrants. In this town, meat packing is king, so it thrives on immigrant labor.
 
Old 11-14-2016, 08:56 AM
 
21 posts, read 16,484 times
Reputation: 27
I lived in Iowa, eats of DM, and my opinion is that Iowa's people are hardly racist. You want racism?, try living and listening to people from Mississippi Delta, Alabama (like Cullman area), or experience black in-your-face racism in Memphis, TN ! Iowa is no where this backward.
 
Old 11-14-2016, 12:37 PM
 
56,316 posts, read 44,711,098 times
Reputation: 35051
I'm guessing that based upon the election results that a better tactic with voters in 2020 would be to engage them and not just call them racists when they don't agree with your positions on things.
 
Old 11-14-2016, 12:43 PM
 
Location: Keosauqua, Iowa
9,243 posts, read 17,641,957 times
Reputation: 12575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
Except that was completely obliterated by revenge voting out the 3 judges who voted for legal same sex marriage, they tried to get rid of the others who also voted in favor but just failed to do it.
Nice try, but the judges weren't retained due to the fact that they exceeded the authority of the bench with regard to some of the language of the writ of procedendo issued in conjunction with the case. And they only booted three of the four justices, by the time the fourth came up for retention a couple of years later nobody really cared.
 
Old 11-14-2016, 08:39 PM
 
513 posts, read 476,658 times
Reputation: 972
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Are we talking about racism or homophobia?



I know this is only one survey, but it looks like Iowa is more accepting than the majority of states. Seems to me like Iowans are just free thinkers.
Both, they are basically the same thing, same negatives happen, same end results, just the victim happens to differ.
These same "free thinkers" voted in Donald Trump with his racism, bigotry and worse being his selling points.


Maybe more accepting than Alabama or something.
 
Old 11-14-2016, 09:11 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
4,272 posts, read 5,082,123 times
Reputation: 5040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
Both, they are basically the same thing, same negatives happen, same end results, just the victim happens to differ.
These same "free thinkers" voted in Donald Trump with his racism, bigotry and worse being his selling points.


Maybe more accepting than Alabama or something.
K
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top