U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 08:59 AM

5,260 posts, read 8,375,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Iowa isn't diverse enough to be racist towards any racial group. I would venture to guess there are not enough minorities in Iowa to give the natives a reason to be racist. I bet about 95% of the towns in Iowa are less than 5% minority. If the towns had enough minority population that their presence were actually felt, there would be a whole lot more racists in Iowa.
I'm not sure other's would completely understand what you mean, but I do. I found the same to be true in Montana (the lowest minority population state in the country) during the couple of years I lived there.
Rate this post positively

Old 11-19-2016, 11:31 AM
Status: "By Thy return, sweet hour of prayer." (set 3 days ago)

1,385 posts, read 891,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
I'm not sure other's would completely understand what you mean, but I do. I found the same to be true in Montana (the lowest minority population state in the country) during the couple of years I lived there.
I concur; I grew up in New England.

People from places that truly lack racial diversity are more open-minded when it comes to race relations and inclusion. They tend to be genuinely curious about others who look different from them. Like another poster mentioned up-thread, they have no reason to be racist.

States like California, Texas, New York - woah! Now those are some very racist places.

Too much diversity, IMO, is not a good thing.

Old 11-19-2016, 11:07 PM

57,116 posts, read 45,271,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardo View Post
I live in Des Moines. I have lived in 5 states and spent time in 30. This place is NOT racist. Folks get along just fine. In fact being black here can be an advantage. The fire dept, te police force etc. is currently aggressively recruiting minorities. They are even advertising on local commercials and te news that they want to hire blacks in particular, almost every day.
Thanks.

I'm an independent voter, grew up near the quad cities and it infuriates me that the people claiming to try to be inclusive are in reality using race and gender as an election weapon.

It's especially ironic because the younger voters don't remember that Hillary and Bill and their supporters were successfully branded as racist in 2008.

Then Hillary turned around in 2016 and managed to cast Bernie Sanders as a racist woman hater.

It's ugly.

Even uglier than Trump and whatever he spouts off.

But hey. Don't listen to me folks...ask yourself how he just won the whitehouse, the senate and house.

Oh wait, it's because all his voters are racists......despite Obama beating the crap out of Repubs for 8 years.

Yep, independents LOVE being called racist because they hated Hillary and realized Trump was no worse than Bill. This meltdown is leaving deep scars on independents going to be interesting to watch just how many of turn off to the dems if this keeps up.

That's the problem with demonizing an entire swath of the electorate that just got enough votes together to make someone president.

Old 11-20-2016, 08:34 AM

6,061 posts, read 3,029,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
I concur; I grew up in New England.
Makes sense to me. What doesn't make sense is a thread about yet another fake news story.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/craigsilver...OnG#.skRJG7OlA

Old 11-20-2016, 01:45 PM

518 posts, read 486,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Nice try, but the judges weren't retained due to the fact that they exceeded the authority of the bench with regard to some of the language of the writ of procedendo issued in conjunction with the case. And they only booted three of the four justices, by the time the fourth came up for retention a couple of years later nobody really cared.
They clearly voted for the CONSTITUTION, "sorry" if that doesn't meet your "traditional marriage" definition and people were "upset" enough to vote out 3 highly qualified good judges. The others were not voted out because the Federal law now made SS marriage legal in all 50 states so it's a moot point now what state judges did.

Here's a little primary on what exactly IS "traditional" in marriage:

Monogamy may seem central to marriage now, but in fact, polygamy was common throughout history. From Jacob, to Kings David and Solomon, Biblical men often had anywhere from two to thousands of wives.

Monogamy became the guiding principle for Western marriages sometime between the sixth and the ninth centuries, Coontz said.

Marriages in the West were originally contracts between the families of two partners, with the Catholic Church and the state staying out of it. In 1215, the Catholic Church decreed that partners had to publicly post banns, or notices of an impending marriage in a local parish, to cut down on the frequency of invalid marriages

Civil marriage

In the last several hundred years, the state has played a greater role in marriage. For instance, Massachusetts began requiring marriage licenses in 1639, and by the 19th-century marriage licenses were common in the United States.

Old 11-20-2016, 03:19 PM

63,078 posts, read 88,670,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
Although officially outside of the Rust Belt, Waterloo does have a lot in common with more "traditional" Rust Belt cities such as Flint, Youngstown, Rockford, etc. It's a city traditionally driven by industry (in Waterloo's case, John Deere) and took in thousands of disenfranchised African American workers from places like AL and MS 50 years ago (interestingly, although many black Iowans have a "watered-down" Southern dialect, it still tends to be strong in Waterloo). In the late 1960s and 1970s the city's population peaked (it approached 80K at one point), but was hit hard by recession in the 80s and never fully recovered. It's been holding steady at 67-68K for the past couple of decades.

And there's a good chance Burlington will surpass Waterloo as Iowa's blackest city (per capita at least) in the next decade or two. The difference between Burlington and Waterloo is that Burlington's black population tends to originate from Chicago rather than the South.

And if you want a truly diverse community, look at Storm Lake. For a town of just over 10K, it has an unusually high Hispanic and Asian population (about 40 and 15 percent, respectively). Its relatively small black population (still south of 10%) is mostly fueled by African immigrants. In this town, meat packing is king, so it thrives on immigrant labor.
Is that true about Burlington? Iowa Black Population Percentage City Rank Based on ACS 2010-2014 data

Many those coming from Chicago are likely people that have family roots in MS and AL.

That is interesting about Storm Lake. Is it a refugee resettlement community as well?

Old 11-20-2016, 08:21 PM

9,257 posts, read 17,871,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
They clearly voted for the CONSTITUTION, "sorry" if that doesn't meet your "traditional marriage" definition and people were "upset" enough to vote out 3 highly qualified good judges. The others were not voted out because the Federal law now made SS marriage legal in all 50 states so it's a moot point now what state judges did.

Here's a little primary on what exactly IS "traditional" in marriage:

Monogamy may seem central to marriage now, but in fact, polygamy was common throughout history. From Jacob, to Kings David and Solomon, Biblical men often had anywhere from two to thousands of wives.

Monogamy became the guiding principle for Western marriages sometime between the sixth and the ninth centuries, Coontz said.

Marriages in the West were originally contracts between the families of two partners, with the Catholic Church and the state staying out of it. In 1215, the Catholic Church decreed that partners had to publicly post banns, or notices of an impending marriage in a local parish, to cut down on the frequency of invalid marriages

Civil marriage

In the last several hundred years, the state has played a greater role in marriage. For instance, Massachusetts began requiring marriage licenses in 1639, and by the 19th-century marriage licenses were common in the United States.
I don't think I stated my views on same-sex marriage. I've been in favor of it since the 1990s, or roughly 20 years before either Hillary Clinton or Barrack Obama.

And that fact is irrelevant. My earlier post was accurate, in spite of what you want to think about me or the truth.

The rest of your post is just a bunch of random musings. Is there some sort of medication that you're not taking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or