U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2016, 09:00 PM

44 posts, read 56,098 times

Advertisements

I want that people who are living in Iowa and know this state give me advice, which town/city in Iowa state will be the best option for me according my requirements. The requirements in the descending priority's order are:

1) Predominantly white population, low crime and low unemployment rate.

2) Low cost of living and housing. I need to rent some studio or 1br apartment for at most 600$ per month because right now I can work only at low-paying jobs like for 11$/hr (i hope not less than that). I was even thinking to rent some trailer house but i heard that the trailer parks are basically white ghettos with high crime and drugs (i don't know how true this statement is but this is what i heard).

3) Not too humid and hot summer and not too much snow at winter. I am not afraid of cold but i do afraid of the icy and snowy roads and that i will get stuck in my car or will have the car accident. So ideal will be something around 80 in summers and not too much snow in winters. I can tolerate the frost without problem but i don't want to get in car crash because i don't have experience of winter driving. Anyway, the absence of humid heat is much more desirable than the absence of the big snow. So if i have to choose i would definitely take the snow over the heat and just spend some money for the winter tires and will drive very carefully. OK i think you got my point.

4) At least one community college with IT program so i can continue my education.

5) Friendly people towards foreigners and normal dating opportunities for single guys in middle 30s. Anyway, this section is not very important (since i am in struggle now), it is just desirable. I realize that in small towns people generally are more narrow minded and don't like the newcomers (not to mention foreigners). I don't need any night clubs or any other elements of the "social" life like bars, because i do not attend these places anyway. I just want a normal quite decent town with normal white people who are not too old and also where is a normal proportion of men and women.

I hope i will get reasonable and straight to the point answers.

PS Please those of you who do not live in this state and don't know the economic and social situation there please do not answer here. I also would like to ask those geniuses who believe that it is their duty to express their very important opinion and condemn me of being "racist" because i want to live among white people - do not answer here, because i am not willing to discuss this subject at all. Save your and my time. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 11:38 AM

9,243 posts, read 17,647,365 times
#3 might be a deal killer. The whole state is hot and humid in the summer. The lower 1/3 doesn't get a lot of snow in the winter, but we get lots of freezing rain which makes for even more treacherous driving.

Most of the other 4 criteria would likely be met in about any town of 10,000 or so.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:56 PM

5,105 posts, read 6,648,759 times
Yes, it is humid here in the summer. Either buy a dehumidifier or learn to deal with it: places like Tampa, Florida are tons worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton_LF View Post
4) At least one community college with IT program so i can continue my education.

Kirkwood is in Cedar Rapids

Kirkwood Community College

Des Moines Area Community College has about 5 - 6 branch campuses - the main campus is in Des Moines

https://www.dmacc.edu/Pages/welcome.aspx

A lot of students start their IT at either one, work for awhile, and then go to Ames (Iowa State) for
their 4-year degree in IT.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:12 PM

413 posts, read 1,577,870 times
I don't think you'll find many whites only towns that are accepting of foreigners.

I'd suggest another, more racist state.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:38 AM

2 posts, read 1,106 times
Only Three*US Cities Have Good Jobs, Affordable Housing, and High Quality of Life

Des Moines is great. But it's our little secret. Please keep it on the down low. Good luck guy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or