U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2008, 08:58 PM

4 posts, read 25,286 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am new to the forum and just have a few questions.

My greatgrandparents came from Iowa and I have several pictures of my grandmother Lucy Raders and her family during the 1920's. One photo mentioned Ellis Park in Cedar Rapids and another photo had Ellis Park in Iowa City, Iowa. I found an Ellis Park in Cedar Rapids but I don't know if it's the same one.

Would anyone know where this park was or if it even still exists? I believe there is still a fair amount of family in the area which I would love to learn more about.

I apologize if this is not the forum to ask this/these questions.

Thanks you,

MP McGuire
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 09:07 PM

2,073 posts, read 5,071,802 times
Ellis Park in Cedar Rapids is pretty popular in the area. I believe there is golfing and tennis as well as an aquatic center. Seemed like a pretty park with geese and a fountain when I visited.

This link may have some info:
City of Cedar Rapids, Iowa - Parks Department (http://www.cedar-rapids.org/parks/index.asp - broken link)

Old 02-25-2008, 06:55 AM

296 posts, read 1,195,752 times
Ellis is a very old and well-established park. It is very likely that this is the park your grandmother visited. I love the Shakespeare Garden section, which features plants that were mentioned in that author's works. The boat ramp is the most popular access to the Cedar River. The park has over 400 acres and is on a hillside and is heavily treed. The earliest digital newspapers to which I have access for Cedar Rapids are for the year 1900, and Ellis Park is a recreational venue that is mentioned frequently in them. If there ever was an Ellis Park in Iowa City, it has faded into obscurity. If you decide to visit the area to reconnect with your ancestors, you definitely should visit the park. It's a very pleasant place.

Party on the Water. 6/14/1900
The ladies of the W. C. T. U. and their friends to the number of fifty had an enjoyable outing on Tuesday evening. Taking the little steamer Parlor City at 8 o'clock in the evening, they took a trip up the Cedar, stopping at Ellis Park, Manhattan Park and Kelsey's bend. Supper was served on the boat. The party returned at 11 o'clock, having spent the larger part of the evening on the water.

Last edited by WoodwardGirl; 02-25-2008 at 07:01 AM.. Reason: clarity

Old 02-25-2008, 11:31 AM

Thank you so much for your replies. When I saw the picture of Ellis Park I thought it could very well be the same park, just many years later. There were pictures of my Grandmother and her friend in the park, in one they were sitting next to the water so I'd say it's the same park in Cedar Rapids. She lived in Anamosa and I'm sure their homes are no longer there, although doing an internet search, someone does live on a street with the same name with the same address. But it may be a totally different house. It was a nice white farm house ; ) Hoping to get out that way to look things up.

Again, thank you so much for your responses.

MP

Old 02-25-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mppm View Post
She lived in Anamosa and I'm sure their homes are no longer there, although doing an internet search, someone does live on a street with the same name with the same address. But it may be a totally different house. It was a nice white farm house
MP
Are you sure the same houses aren't there? there are countless pre-1900 construction farmhomes in Ia.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro223 View Post
Are you sure the same houses aren't there? there are countless pre-1900 construction farmhomes in Ia.
No, I'm not sure it isn't there. I just kind of assume that as much as I'd love for it to be, that it probably wouldn't be. (If that makes sense) ; )

There's a good bit of family still out there and it would be great if I could meet some of them and exchange some fantastic photos I have from the 1920's. And vice versa.

You guys are great. Thanks for your responses.

MP

Old 02-26-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mppm View Post
No, I'm not sure it isn't there. I just kind of assume that as much as I'd love for it to be, that it probably wouldn't be. (If that makes sense) ; )

There's a good bit of family still out there and it would be great if I could meet some of them and exchange some fantastic photos I have from the 1920's. And vice versa.

You guys are great. Thanks for your responses.

MP
Hmm well like I said there are a lot of houses that age around, so I don't see why you would assume that unless you heard it was torn down. So I guess I'll just wink back.

Good luck if you try to get in touch with them!!

Old 02-27-2008, 07:18 PM

Hmm well like I said there are a lot of houses that age around, so I don't see why you would assume that unless you heard it was torn down. So I guess I'll just wink back.

Good luck if you try to get in touch with them!! [/quote]

I just meant as much as I'd love to see the house, I'd have rotten luck and it wouldn't be there. No reason that I know of why it shouldn't be there. The 1890 victorian house we had in NY is still there. Such character these older homes have. Wow...I miss that house.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:18 PM

1 posts, read 4,653 times
Default Ellis Park

Would it be possible to see the photo or photos you have of Ellis Park with your grandmother? I am a member of the People for Parks group and we are in a struggle to save Ellis Park from being destroyed by development within the park. Historical data might help.

Thanks,
SP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa