Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2016, 05:47 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,608,438 times

Advertisements

Any recommendations on where I can find a *small* Christmas tree (2' or less) around Des Moines that I can replant after the holidays?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 06:03 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,267,886 times
This time of year you might try Earl May. Other than that I haven't a clue, most places only sell live trees on a seasonal basis.

Old 12-15-2016, 07:06 PM

I had forgotten about Earl May. I'll try there tomorrow. Thanks! Yes, it's a bear to find plantable Christmas trees. I had a source where I used to live. They potted up baby scotch pines in a painted clay planter. I used to give them as gifts.

I'm just not up to hauling in a 4' - 5' tree and decorating it. I have guests coming or I'd just do without.

Old 12-15-2016, 07:20 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,255 times
Default Where to buy plantable...

I know that we are still able to plant trees down here but can trees be successfully planted up there in the middle of winter?
Maybe yes with tons of mulch & the careful delivery of water & the careful selection of what's to be planted, as in coniferous trees?
The people at an Earl May store or a reliable nursery would hopefully be upfront about the prospects for a living Christmas tree to survive.
Another factor is that going from the northern third of the state (especially northwest Iowa) to south central & southeast across Iowa, there is a gradual moderation in the severity of winter weather & extreme cold generally speaking when you look at weather data & growing range charts.
Better Homes & Gardens has always been great at producing such things in their garden books but up-to-date maps of such can be found via the internet too.

Old 12-15-2016, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
I know that we are still able to plant trees down here but can trees be successfully planted up there in the middle of winter?
Hi, Atler! I wasn't going to plant it right now. It will go into the basement window "greenhouse," where I'm also over-wintering geraniums, and if it needs more light, it's easy enough to add a grow bulb.

I'm feeling very lazy. I just didn't want to have to strip and saw a larger tree. It's much easier to pop one in the ground in March.

I actually did plant one of the little trees in January in Ohio. I had a pre-dug hole that I filled in with sawdust and then dug that out and replaced it with potting soil at the end of December. I also sunk four stakes in the ground in October and stappled burlap around them before I planted the tree, to keep out the direct wind.

The little tree made it and was about 7' tall when I moved.

With below zero temps in Iowa, I don't expect to do that here.

Old 12-15-2016, 08:29 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,255 times
Default Where to buy plantable Christmas trees

That was a thorough technique you used to plant the little tree in Ohio post Christmas. Thanks for sharig the details. I'm happy to know that it survived!
And yes, the basement is a great fall back method to nurse things through the winter.
When you return to visit Ohio, do you ever go look at your former residences to check on, among other things, the condition & growth of things you planted?
That's an enjoyable past-time for me when I'm tooling around in metro Atlanta as well as when I visit the old home towns in Iowa & visit where my grandparents lived in Wisconsin. We used to share tree saplings & things like lilac cuttings with them.
Anyway, it's always a forlorn sight to see the rejected & unsold Christmas trees in a store lot.

Last edited by atler8; 12-15-2016 at 08:46 PM.. Reason: corrected a spelling error

Old 12-16-2016, 11:20 AM

I don't mind the sight of the unsold trees so much when I know they will go to the recycling center and be made into mulch.

Yes, I make it a point to look at what I've planted through the years in Michigan and Ohio when I'm back, or nice people send photos. I've planted several hundred trees, many fruit trees on farms and homesteads of friends. A lot of the rose bushes I started from grafts are also still thriving.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who does that! Thanks for sharing.

Off to shop . . . I have a couple of hours before the freezing rain starts.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:43 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,267,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I don't mind the sight of the unsold trees so much when I know they will go to the recycling center and be made into mulch.
They usually go to the bottom of a pond for fish habitat. There's not much demand for pine mulch.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:49 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,442,558 times
Here you go: Live Decorated Tabletop Christmas Trees from Jackson & Perkins

Old 12-16-2016, 03:05 PM

Thanks, Froglipz!

If anyone cares, I ended up at Earl May in Clive. There were six or so tables in front of the store full of fragrant branches of cedar, spruce, etc. that they were selling by the pound so people could make holiday arrangements.

It was crowded, and snow was starting to fall, so I quickly picked out six branches and called that good. When I got home, I cut them down and arranged them in a large vase, along with some scented pine cones I had and a few Christmas bulbs. The living room now smells heavenly! I spent less than $2 and it'll go on the compost pile after the holiday. In the meantime, it smells as good as a 5' tree.

If I need a tree next year, I'll start earlier. (-:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa