U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 12:44 PM

9,258 posts, read 17,895,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
It'll work out, and Trump will come to understand the value of Tweeting less and thinking more. Give it time.

At least he's not as bad as Billy Carter, former President Jimmy Carter's relative.
Bad? Billy Carter was awesome! Name one other First Brother who pissed on a runway in front of reporters.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 03:09 PM

5,105 posts, read 6,798,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Bad? Billy Carter was awesome! Name one other First Brother who pissed on a runway in front of reporters.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:49 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,848,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
...and lest we not forget, Billy Beer!

Quote:
In 1979, the Associated Press described Billy as a “professional redneck,” and that’s a pretty accurate assessment of Billy’s activities in the early years of his brother’s presidency. He basically traveled the country drinking beer, making event appearances, and cashing checks. His most notable project, though, has to be the beer that bore his name.

Billy Beer: The Reason Billy Carter Quit Drinking | Mental Floss

Old 12-21-2016, 11:59 AM

Old 12-21-2016, 02:26 PM

3,637 posts, read 3,616,024 times
Default Governor Branstad leaving Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post

I live down here in Carter Country, if you want to call it that.
Billy was a good old boy/redneck as you wrote but I can't imaging why anyone would really be down on his legacy, as at least he was never a crook or known for saying harmful or hurtful things.
I never voted for his brother Jimmy in any election but I know that his heart is in the right place & I now respect him profoundly as an honest person who is deeply committed to furthering human rights, something that we all should redouble our efforts to propel.
And furthermore, President Carter's brand of evangelical Christianity matches up with the style of that of my brother, i.e. less concerned with power, money & promoting conspiracy theories ala fake news & more concerned about the Golden rule, championing the right for people to vote & promoting justice.

Old 12-21-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Billy was a good old boy/redneck as you wrote but I can't imaging why anyone would really be down on his legacy, as at least he was never a crook or known for saying harmful or hurtful things.
Well, there was Billygate.

Washingtonpost.com

Old 12-21-2016, 03:47 PM

Quote:
I live down here in Carter Country, if you want to call it that.
I never voted for his brother Jimmy in any election but I know that his heart is in the right place & I now respect him profoundly as an honest person who is deeply committed to furthering human rights, something that we all should redouble our efforts to propel.
And furthermore, President Carter's brand of evangelical Christianity matches up with the style of that of my brother, i.e. less concerned with power, money & promoting conspiracy theories ala fake news & more concerned about the Golden rule, championing the right for people to vote & promoting justice.
A lot more to unravel there atler than I'm interested in tackling, but I'll just add that many people like Carter post his presidency. He did some great things including being an advocate for Habitat for Humanity. That said, it doesn't change the fact he was a poor leader, and thus a poor President. You don't have to look any further than the hostage crisis to see an example of his ineffectiveness. He was not respected and it put the US in a disadvantaged position without leverage.

Old 12-22-2016, 08:16 AM

Default Governor Brandstad

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
A lot more to unravel there atler than I'm interested in tackling, but I'll just add that many people like Carter post his presidency. He did some great things including being an advocate for Habitat for Humanity. That said, it doesn't change the fact he was a poor leader, and thus a poor President. You don't have to look any further than the hostage crisis to see an example of his ineffectiveness. He was not respected and it put the US in a disadvantaged position without leverage.
A I noted yesterday, I never voted for the man.
However, his basic honesty & complete embrace of ethics look better & better the more we travel forward in time. He and his predecessor, Gerald Ford are high in the marks I give them on that count.
I think that you absolutely underestimate the respect that Carter did have among large swaths of world leaders as the man who brought together & brokered the Israeli/Egyptian peace deal at Camp David.
It can be said, however, that he was a new & very unique type of leader & U.S. President & much of the world leadership did not know what to make of him when he vaulted onto the world stage.
Some of that could easily have been construed as a lack of respect, similar to the elitist viewpoints that coastal media pundits may have expressed against such a new breed of president.
As for his supposed ineffectiveness in the hostage crisis, if not for the crash of U.S. special ops rescue aircraft in the desert that doomed the rescue attempt (not Carter's fault by any stretch) that chapter would have been written entirely differently in the history books & he probably would have won re-election in 1980.

Old 12-22-2016, 08:32 AM

Default Governor Brandstad leaving..

Returning to also include the original thread topic, Governor Branstad, I have been following the Medicaide program privatization developments that Branstad introduced in Iowa. As the latest news of today show, it's become an unmitigated disaster. It seems that it's the less advantaged & senior citizens who ultimately will suffer at the hands of "privatization" plans led by republicans. Is it in their dna?
At any rate, Branstad is leaving a serious challenge on the table for Kim Reynolds to handle & his long term legacy may suffer for it.
See the Des Moines Register link here for the Iowa problems.
As my new bumper sticker says, "republicans keep your hands off medicare".
If you're not grandfathered in because you are younger & under the age-based proposed policy changes for Medicare, and yes even Social Security & not paying attention to Representatives Paul Ryan & Sam Johnson & their plans for Medicare & Social Security, you are doing yourself a disservice!
The link from Forbes examines that set of problems.

Iowa Medicaid payment shortages are 'catastrophic,' private managers tell state

http://http://www.forbes.com/sites/j.../#1effbbbb5f10

Old 12-22-2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:
A I noted yesterday, I never voted for the man.
However, his basic honesty & complete embrace of ethics look better & better the more we travel forward in time. He and his predecessor, Gerald Ford are high in the marks I give them on that count.
I think that you absolutely underestimate the respect that Carter did have among large swaths of world leaders as the man who brought together & brokered the Israeli/Egyptian peace deal at Camp David.
It can be said, however, that he was a new & very unique type of leader & U.S. President & much of the world leadership did not know what to make of him when he vaulted onto the world stage.
Some of that could easily have been construed as a lack of respect, similar to the elitist viewpoints that coastal media pundits may have expressed against such a new breed of president.
As for his supposed ineffectiveness in the hostage crisis, if not for the crash of U.S. special ops rescue aircraft in the desert that doomed the rescue attempt (not Carter's fault by any stretch) that chapter would have been written entirely differently in the history books & he probably would have won re-election in 1980.
Some solid points there atler.

Even if the hostage rescue had worked, I kind of think the poor economy of the last 70's would have doomed Carter's re-election. It is not like the election was close.

Who knows, but interesting to speculate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or