U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 02:06 PM

4,779 posts, read 6,508,415 times

Advertisements

It used to be that blue collar jobs were an option for people straight out of high school. They paid fairly decent. Usually had decent benefits etc.

Then both parties decided to ship all our manufacturing jobs overseas so that their corporate overlords could make an extra $.10 cents profit per widget.

Both parties are completely corrupt from top to bottom. They're all turds. So is Trump.

But if he can bring back 1/30th of the lost manufacturing jobs, he'll be the most successful president of my lifetime. God speed Donnie Hairpiece.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 08:31 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,849,735 times
Related to last comment, there are good jobs for high school grads right now...

Quote:
Supply of Workers Is Not Keeping Up with Construction Growth
By ROB DILLARD • JAN 4, 2017
TweetShareGoogle+Email

The boom in construction projects across the state is challenging contractors to find enough workers to complete them. The labor shortage will only worsen as an aging workforce enters retirement.

A future hotel near the Iowa Events Center in downtown Des Moines is one of the many construction projects tapping into the state's supply of workers.
CREDIT ROB DILLARD, IOWA PUBLIC RADIO

It’s estimated a third of Iowa’s construction workers will retire over the next five years. Combined with an existing shortage of workers, this is putting a strain on contractors to fill their workforce needs. The president and CEO of the Master Builders of Iowa, Chad Kleppe, says his group is targeting students as young as middle school to attract them into construction careers.

“You can come out of high school and earn while you learn," Kleppe says. "After five years in the industry, you’re making north of $50-55,000 withood jobs in Iowa for those right out of high school today...

Read more:

Supply of Workers Is Not Keeping Up with Construction Growth | Iowa Public Radio

Old 01-06-2017, 05:47 AM

387 posts, read 550,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
Atler, I haven't seen too much democracy in the democrat party of late. I've been a registered libertarian since 2001, not much for the GOP. I wish McConnell would get ousted, and maybe had the Democrats fielded a candidate in 2014 who could spell their own name without help, he would be gone.
McConnell didn't get ousted, but at least you've got your man -- Vladimir Putin -- running America now. Hope you like Borscht.

Trump won't dare defy Mr. Putin. In fact, Trump has apparently been getting his security briefings right from the Kremlin and is actively trashing his own American intelligence apparatus. Sounds like treason to me. Is this how we make America great again, Comrade Dave?

Old 01-07-2017, 08:32 PM

3,637 posts, read 3,618,297 times
Default Governor Branstad leaving

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
Related to last comment, there are good jobs for high school grads right now...

Read more:

Supply of Workers Is Not Keeping Up with Construction Growth | Iowa Public Radio

This is a serious issue for Iowa that I've been reading about for years.
It affects many fields of employment & not just the construction industry as I know that you are aware.
It's a dangerous drag on business health & potential for growth in Iowa and is probably exacerbated by what happened during the 1980's when much of an emerging generation took to their heels to leave the state in the midst of the Farm Crisis of that decade. By having lost so many young people in one 10 year fell swoop, an echo of that loss is caused now in the state as there would be noticeably more young people in the state (children of that generation lost from Iowa) starting new families & providing workers for business.
It's actually remarkable that Iowa's population even grows as much as it does given how relatively small it's births over deaths surplus has been in recent decades. The fact is it does grow slowly but modestly is a testament to its much reduced out-migration flow of people that was numerically much higher not only in the 1980's but also very high in the 1940's through the 1970's.
That growth put Iowa almost exactly smack dab in the middle among the 50 states states in growth percentage in the most recent year to year population estimate released in December.
Additionally it's job growth has remained relatively healthy even in the face of strong negative head winds affecting the agricultural sector & it's highly agriculture-dependent manufacturing sector.

http://static3.businessinsider.com/i...c008b695f-1200

http://blog.stewart.com/stewart/wp-c...-16-table2.jpg

Old 01-07-2017, 09:03 PM

Default Governor Branstad leaving Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I don't have a lot of time for a lengthy, cogent argument right now, but I'm old enough to have lived through the Cold War. I said this in the 70s and it applies today: the Russian citizens aren't interested in going to war with the US, nor are most of US citizens interested in a war with them. It's our leaders and related interests who benefit financially from defense contracts. Also, Russia *is not* our friend.

That said, it's not in Mr. Putin's best interests to go to war right now. He has some rebuilding to do. He would rather do business with Mr. Trump than drop bombs, especially since many of Mr. Putin's cronies have a chance to line their pockets with the right business deals. And we know that Mr. Trump is all about business deals . . . (insert silly icon here)

I'm okay with this situation for now. We need to get manufacturing restarted in the US, not just bombs but shoes, steel, and other goods that have been outsourced. That will be a lot more difficult to do if the US is involved in a hot war.

A child of the Cold War myself, I'd like to agree with & quote your line of "Also, Russia *is not* our friend" and magnify it in emphasis ten fold.
I have much more that I can add in detail about the challenges for us & the rest of the democratic West to understand the Russian people & their government & also to react effectively & prudently but I'm out of time & will need to return to tackle that point at another time.
That being said, today I found a sobering assessment of the relationship of The West with Russia in a UK media site I regularly visit for non-American viewpoints.
Some of it is a stinging indictment of U.S. conservatives and the Christian right for their reasons for having jumped on the Trump train but the overarching message is a sobering and unsettling one as the likelihood of instability raises it's ugly head even higher as we enter a new and uncertain era; one in which our post WW2 alliances are potentially being cast aside &/or reshaped.
The last 2 paragraphs in the linked viewpoint below are enough to unsettle anyone who understands the bedrock upon which our alliances have been built.
If we think that the post 2000 new century has been chaotic thus far, I can only half imagine the challenges on the doorsteps of the Western democracies in the immediately ensuing few years.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...and-everywhere

Old 01-08-2017, 02:23 PM

5,105 posts, read 6,805,922 times
Good article, Atler! Thanks!

Old 01-09-2017, 09:54 AM

Default Governor Branstad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Good article, Atler! Thanks!

Thanks for your response & for taking the time to read that material.

Old 01-21-2017, 06:34 PM

Default Governor Branstad leaving..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
So often when a state employee is fired for being incompetent in his or her job, if that person happens to be of a minority group, they will often try and fabricate a discrimination case for financial gain.

A 25-year veteran with the department, Hedlund plans to file a lawsuit for wrongful termination, contending that he was fired not for the comments but for an incident April 26 where he directed a state trooper to pull over a speeding vehicle.
That vehicle was travelling on the highway at more than 80 miles per hour and turned out to contain Branstad and Lt. Gov. Kim Reynolds. A state trooper was driving the car.

Since he was a 25 year veteran of the dept he must have been doing SOMETHING right for all those years, what an amazing "coincidence" he gets fired right after the ticket thing!

Iowans lose their license when convicted of driving 25 mph or more over the limit.

But see, the Rep Guv lives by a different set of laws than the rest of us saps here, and his retaliatory firing of Trooper Hedlund is going to cost the state LOTS of moolah, more than it's already cost.
I totally missed this post until today... don't know how but there it is.
Thanks for the recap & reminder of what happened in that Troopergate episode. (Is that what they called it or should have called it?)
Anyway, a 25 year veteran of a state department doesn't suddenly get fired like that without such a move arousing suspicion as being overt payback unless they've had prior bad reviews of their performance & been put on probation or the equivalent. I'm not aware that any of that was the case.
It strikes me that the firing never passed the smell test.

Old 02-26-2017, 11:21 AM

3,028 posts, read 3,341,760 times
Well, the gift of Branstad keeps on giving, with the new collective bargaining law passed by the legislature this month, and signed by Branstad. This means state employees will have to start paying something for their health insurance, and they can now only bargain for wages and not benefits. It means bad employees can be fired much easier now. The way it was before, as I recall, it could take over 6 months to fire a teacher that sexually abused kids, to use for an example of how hard it was to terminate a bad public employee.

I really think we need Branstad as much now going forward, as we did before. The Iowa republican party needs a controlling force like him to keep it more focused and grounded. I have seen the good this month with the new collective bargaining law, but have also seen some bad proposals that I hope never get off the ground. There was a proposal to nullify the minimum wage increases that a few counties passed on their own this past year. They want to override that with a mandatory state wide minimum wage, which is of course, lower. This seems kinda dumb to override the metropolitan areas that, because the cost of living is considerably higher in Polk county for example, are phasing in a higher min wage. There was another proposal by a law maker that needs to be horse whipped, she actually wanted to abolish Daylight Savings Time in Iowa and remain on Standard time year around like Arizona does. This is the most outlandish thing I have ever heard of, GET A ROPE !!

Without the calming stroke of Branstad's mustache on our legislators, I fear they might lose their way and fall into disarray. I hope the republicans don't squander this opportunity to show they can govern in the best interests of Iowa. This collective bargaining law is a good start, but we don't want to go down that Sam Brownback road.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:03 PM

3,028 posts, read 3,341,760 times
Well, I just spotted the next Democratic challenger to Kim Reynolds in the upcoming 2018 elections. This legislature is creating him with all these kooky proposals, and I hate to admit it but I'm not altogether unhappy about voting for this guy back in 2014, he has come a long ways since that night a few years back when he got nailed out in Pleasant Hill for drunk driving. He represents Des Moines southside and downtown district in our state legislature, and I think he might be a little tougher than Jack Hatch was in the last election, or at least a rising star in Iowa democratic party. I detest the remarks he made about Governor Branstad, and not real keen on his immigrant drivel or position on collective bargaining, but this guy knows how to cut to the chase. Here's a little 20 minute rant he gave before the legislator today.

Here you go Atler8, the new and improved Jack Hatch, don't say I never did anything for you, lol. Tony's chat begins at 9:26 + 30 seconds. Here's some Southside pride for ya.

Iowa Legislature - Dashboard
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or