U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 07:58 AM

215 posts, read 198,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
Thanks everyone. BTW- how is the weather? Heard summers are Florida hot and winters are very cold. Any info?
Nothing someone from upstate NY can't handle. Probably a lot less snow: no lake effect (no lakes). There's a lot of good data on City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 10:24 AM

884 posts, read 860,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
If you don't like the weather, wait a minute!

Yes, it's that sort of place. This next 10-day period or so, Central Iowa is at average temperatures, around the upper 20s and low 30s during the day. However, it can go to -5 and lower, usually not for more than a day or two.

Yes, July - August can be hot and steamy. It can get over 100 with high humidity but then within the next day or two, another front will come through and drop the temps back into the 80s.

There are going to be a few days in the winter and in the summer where it's best to hang out at home. I have a small crafting area in my basement, and I spend time down there: it's cool in the summer and I heat it with a small space heater in the winter, just because I like it at least 71 when I'm sewing. I go down there and work along to music, not caring what's happening outside!

Doesn't sound too much different than NY. Plus we can get 3 feet of snow over night, or ice storms that bend trees. Right now I have multiple tree branches all over my front lawn. They'll need to wait to spring. We even get tornadoes, tho they are very rare. And we had 1 earthquake in late 2000.

Old 01-27-2017, 03:43 AM

449 posts, read 1,261,052 times
I'll second that. We have friends in Asheville and we love the city. Kind of a modern day hippie place but that's cool. Tons of restaurants, cultural activities, and recreational things to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLoveLaugh View Post
Hay....check out Blue Ridge Mountains! I grew up in Nyc lived in South Florida and retired in Western NC....I love it

Old 01-27-2017, 03:45 AM

449 posts, read 1,261,052 times
Less snow but probably colder. Summers are hot and humid.

Quote:
Thanks everyone. BTW- how is the weather? Heard summers are Florida hot and winters are very cold. Any info?

Old 01-28-2017, 09:17 AM

884 posts, read 860,517 times
Thanks everyone.

Old 01-28-2017, 09:45 AM

5,105 posts, read 6,647,092 times
Quote:
Doesn't sound too much different than NY. Plus we can get 3 feet of snow over night, or ice storms that bend trees. Right now I have multiple tree branches all over my front lawn. They'll need to wait to spring. We even get tornadoes, tho they are very rare. And we had 1 earthquake in late 2000.
Northern Iowa typically gets a lot more snow than Central Iowa. We get ice storms here, too, not was bad as the Ohio Valley.

I don't want to downplay tornadoes because one needs to take the threat seriously and not be out on I-80 on a day when a tornado can rendered invisible by the rain, but it's not like they are going to cross your front yard on a regular basis. I've met people who've lived here most of their lives and have never see a tornado outside of the TV news or Youtube.

Yeah, you won't experience anything new weatherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa