U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 02:35 PM

884 posts, read 860,274 times

Advertisements

I have never been to Iowa, but have seen photos and it looks like a very pretty state.

Hubbie and I are in our early 60's and will consider retirement in a few yrs.

We thought about the usual places like Florida, Arizona, and Nevada, but it just doesn't "seem" right. Some other "retirement places/ states" in the south have such high crime rates that we are turned off, and we have been told that many ppl are also nice to your face but really aren't nice. We are liberal, but even up here in NY, most of our friends are conservative. We get along with everyone. If you are friendly, so are we, and we make loyal friends (in fact ppl have taken advantage of that fact).

We currently live in upstate NY, so we are use to snow and cold. However, NY is very expensive. We currently pay $8K in property taxes and Hubbie works with someone who pays $10K. Houses are about $250K and up for anything livable that doesn't need work.

In doing research about where to live, Iowa comes in good for medical care, and decent COL. I've seen photos of Pella and Decorah, and both look very nice. (Love the windmills in Pella- I collect windmills and delft- just I'm Dutch wannabe). Are other places that are nice/ pretty like that?

Our income would be about $60K total. I want an area that has friendly ppl since we would know no one there. We would need a health food store due to some medical issues due to allergies.

Would Iowa be a good fit? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 11:23 AM

215 posts, read 198,308 times
It sure is flat here. If you're in upstate NY you may not like the sameness of the plains. The Decorah area east to the Mississippi are known as the Driftless area and may be to your liking; hilly, not mountainous.

It sounds as if you'd feel comfy in Iowa City; it has many of the amenities you mentioned. It's centrally located and is only a couple hours from Pella, a town which grows old rather quickly. The Amana colonies are just north of there; you might enjoy them.

We live in the Waterloo area and taxes are around $2k per year, very affordable. Health food stores are ubiquitous and the HyVee chain has included extensive shelves featuring the items you'd want.

Come visit.. nothing like being here to get a feel. Iowans as a whole are truly "Iowa Nice". Coming from elsewhere I can attest to that. Very welcoming. Also spend some time in Omaha, a lovely town with lots to do.

As for us, we're heading south to MO; can't take the winters anymore.

Old 01-24-2017, 02:30 PM

Thank you ION 1010. Of course we would never move without checking an area for each season, but I'd like to at least get a "feel" for the area. BTW- we both grew up on Long Island in NY, so we wouldn't mind flat in the right area.

Old 01-24-2017, 02:33 PM

1,842 posts, read 2,746,007 times
Hay....check out Blue Ridge Mountains! I grew up in Nyc lived in South Florida and retired in Western NC....I love it

Old 01-24-2017, 05:01 PM

5,105 posts, read 6,645,492 times
I love Iowa and will remain here as long as I can, but with some of my health problems, I'm not sure how much longer I'll be able to deal with ice and snow. This has been a fairly easy winter so far, and if it were like this winter all the time, I could deal with the 5 - 6 days (not at the same time) when it's best to stay home and inside. I'm going to be 58 this year. I ride my bike and walk, but I'm not Super Granny or anything.

Iowa City is cool for retirees. You might also like Des Moines. There are always things going on at the state fair grounds on the weekends, craft shows and the like.

I'm from Ohio and have been here three years. I've found it welcoming. There are a lot of meet-ups and groups for 50+. If I had more energy and time, There would be things to go to 2 - 3 nights a week and most weekends. I'm sure that's true for Iowa City, as well. I was in Columbus and wanted to get away from the college students. I don't dislike them! It was just time for a change, and I'm glad things worked out so I could move to Des Moines.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:18 PM

459 posts, read 343,211 times
Iowa is decent. If you need a lot of amenities you'll want to be near a major city. I recently moved back to the midwest from the state of Georgia a couple months ago. It depends what you want. Iowa is a slower pace of life in my opinion and some folks are friendly and some aren't. In my time in Iowa I found quite a few to be decent folks. As far as health care I'm not 100% certain as I didn't need much health care. Seemed to be decent enough from what health care I did need. I think Iowa depending where you live is a decent place to retire.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:56 AM

215 posts, read 198,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLoveLaugh View Post
Hay....check out Blue Ridge Mountains! I grew up in Nyc lived in South Florida and retired in Western NC....I love it
A "Half-back" as I'm told?

Old 01-25-2017, 01:41 PM

Thanks everyone. BTW- how is the weather? Heard summers are Florida hot and winters are very cold. Any info?

Old 01-25-2017, 05:12 PM

5,105 posts, read 6,645,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
Thanks everyone. BTW- how is the weather? Heard summers are Florida hot and winters are very cold. Any info?
If you don't like the weather, wait a minute!

Yes, it's that sort of place. This next 10-day period or so, Central Iowa is at average temperatures, around the upper 20s and low 30s during the day. However, it can go to -5 and lower, usually not for more than a day or two.

Yes, July - August can be hot and steamy. It can get over 100 with high humidity but then within the next day or two, another front will come through and drop the temps back into the 80s.

There are going to be a few days in the winter and in the summer where it's best to hang out at home. I have a small crafting area in my basement, and I spend time down there: it's cool in the summer and I heat it with a small space heater in the winter, just because I like it at least 71 when I'm sewing. I go down there and work along to music, not caring what's happening outside!

Old 01-25-2017, 05:37 PM

1,842 posts, read 2,746,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ION1010 View Post
A "Half-back" as I'm told?
Lol....call me whatever you want!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa