U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 08:16 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,846,274 times

Advertisements

Funksoulbro - Making religious bigotry great again!
Rate this post positively

Old 02-07-2017, 01:57 PM

9,840 posts, read 3,736,670 times
[quote=capitalcityguy;47055991]I just searched google. There is nothing out there about this. What are people contacting his office supposed to point to as reference?

"ahh....some dude named evilcart posted on the citi-data forum that you..."[/QUOTE

sorry for not getting back. I was on an enforce hiatus

Anyway Rep (R) Steve King was being interviewed on MSNBC here is the link to the video it is about 50-60 seconds in.
Rep. King: Trump has authority to say no to Australia agreement | MSNBC

I had to watch a short advert for it to play...

I think people should know when their elected official is trying to cast a disparate group of refugees as bad guys.

Old 02-07-2017, 02:06 PM

9,840 posts, read 3,736,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
SAYS WHO?

People from these countries can NOT be vetted correctly! Many other countries have already been attacked from people who slip in with "refugees". It sucks for those who get caught up in this mess but pull your head out of the sand.
I have travelled to many countries, I have stood there in our embassies assisting folk who were going through the hoops for various reasons. I have stood their and explained law to embassy staff.

Our current vetting process is one of the most extreme on the planet, it take anything from a year to 10 years to make it through the hoops, and most people never make it. Not even close.

To say these people cannot be vetted, is to simply ignore reality and substitute with fantasy. Virtually everyone can be fully vetted and those who cannot be have been consistently rejected for decades no matter what the level of "vetting" was at the time.

That has been the process for a long time. If one wishes to debate the level of vetting required to ensure public safety , well that is an entirely different debate.

My primary point is that Steve King was purposely misleading the public to whom he has swore an oath.

Last edited by evilcart; 02-07-2017 at 02:42 PM..

Old 02-16-2017, 09:55 AM

3,637 posts, read 3,614,471 times
Default Steve King

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedLife View Post
I've been lurking in this forum for a while, as we are considering a move to Iowa for my spouse's job. I just have to say you really like to use a broad stroke of sloppy paint to draw a picture here. I'm not a Trump voter, I abhor the whole immigrant executive order, but, while I tried to find something corroborating the OP's story on King (the guy clearly is a Trump supporter, but can't find anything that he said this particular statement about the Australian immigrants)... I didn't see anything, but I DID find Rep Loebsack, whom I presume was actually elected *by people in Iowa* -- and his statement that strongly opposed the executive order. It's obvious you don't live in Iowa, so why the need to slam everybody in the whole state?

Are you sure you're not talking about yourself? You have the time to go on an Internet forum and support a post on a story that could be fake news just so you could tell everyone in a state you don't live in that they're rushing toward the lowest common denominator? Classy. Also, way to be a problem-solver. That'll really get people on your side of the aisle.

I just returned to the Iowa forum today for the first time to see this input you directed at me.
How long have you been "lurking" here and what other ways beside the forum have you been in touch with current events & historical events in Iowa?
I lived there for 24 years & have been resolute, and almost overzealous in following events there for my decades of life spent in Georgia since I moved away. I routinely peruse an assortment of news media sites from various areas of the state.
What I spoke to as being problematic is based on what I've observed as an alarming trend in public discourse & behavior in Iowa over the last few years.
And I feel that I have every right to speak up honestly & from the heart as to what I've seen developing given my long time past history of posting here. You may not be aware of it but also I "lurked" on the forum for a long time before I joined up a few years ago. You are also probably not aware of my posting history & that at the time I officially joined up, I spent a good deal of energy in here defending Iowa & in countering a long-lasting barrage of often inaccurate & sometimes vitriolic attacks made here by a former resident. Sometimes that member posted in up to 6 or 7 different threads in one day alone. On a relatively quiet state forum such as Iowa's, that can be particularly overwhelming. By comparison, the Atlanta forum where I am based, has more posts made in 1 hour than the Iowa forum typically has in 1 full week. Long time posters here know of my record here full well that often included Iowa news & updates.
Unfortunately, some of what I wrote in defense of Iowa has eroded in a past couple of years as I have seen an erosion in respect, particularly among the words of Iowa's elected officials & even by school age young people in Iowa. The change has been marked and rather sudden and certainly bewildering to me to witness. It's almost as though the rank political atmosphere has allowed people to feel free to stop using a filter when they disparage people who are different from them or are immigrants, etc.
The number of embarrassing high school & university school level incidents in the last year alone has made me ashamed of what I see occurring in my home state that I have always loved. If you think about it, it has become POLITICALLY CORRECT to be politically incorrect & rude & insulting to our fellow Americans. How ironic!
And this, my friend, is at the root of what I wrote: A PROFOUND disappointment & embarrassment at what I see Iowa becoming; i.e. a less genteel, gentle, kind & accepting place.

Last edited by atler8; 02-16-2017 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: added 2 words I left out

Old 02-20-2017, 03:01 PM

555 posts, read 349,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
I just returned to the Iowa forum today for the first time to see this input you directed at me.
How long have you been "lurking" here and what other ways beside the forum have you been in touch with current events & historical events in Iowa?
I lived there for 24 years & have been resolute, and almost overzealous in following events there for my decades of life spent in Georgia since I moved away. I routinely peruse an assortment of news media sites from various areas of the state.
What I spoke to as being problematic is based on what I've observed as an alarming trend in public discourse & behavior in Iowa over the last few years.
And I feel that I have every right to speak up honestly & from the heart as to what I've seen developing given my long time past history of posting here. You may not be aware of it but also I "lurked" on the forum for a long time before I joined up a few years ago. You are also probably not aware of my posting history & that at the time I officially joined up, I spent a good deal of energy in here defending Iowa & in countering a long-lasting barrage of often inaccurate & sometimes vitriolic attacks made here by a former resident. Sometimes that member posted in up to 6 or 7 different threads in one day alone. On a relatively quiet state forum such as Iowa's, that can be particularly overwhelming. By comparison, the Atlanta forum where I am based, has more posts made in 1 hour than the Iowa forum typically has in 1 full week. Long time posters here know of my record here full well that often included Iowa news & updates.
Unfortunately, some of what I wrote in defense of Iowa has eroded in a past couple of years as I have seen an erosion in respect, particularly among the words of Iowa's elected officials & even by school age young people in Iowa. The change has been marked and rather sudden and certainly bewildering to me to witness. It's almost as though the rank political atmosphere has allowed people to feel free to stop using a filter when they disparage people who are different from them or are immigrants, etc.
The number of embarrassing high school & university school level incidents in the last year alone has made me ashamed of what I see occurring in my home state that I have always loved. If you think about it, it has become POLITICALLY CORRECT to be politically incorrect & rude & insulting to our fellow Americans. How ironic!
And this, my friend, is at the root of what I wrote: A PROFOUND disappointment & embarrassment at what I see Iowa becoming; i.e. a less genteel, gentle, kind & accepting place.
[mod snip]

Look, I'm from the upper Midwest, so I know most people will tolerate most disagreements slung at them with general courtesy (unlike other areas!) but internally little or no change whatsoever except dismissal. And keep in mind, no matter what one's disposition is, having one's viewpoint called completely illegitimate will do nothing but deepen one's resolve to hold that viewpoint. I've spent enough years on the East Coast, among a ton of transplants who tell locals, all of the time, endlessly, sometimes intentionally and sometimes unintentionally, how they're doing things all wrong, and I guess it's just rubbed me the wrong way. It's rude, plain and simple, and it only deepens an existing divide. There is a way to be express one's opinion and be respectful and inclusive. You and I probably do agree, on some level, that that is a quickly disappearing art, however.

Last edited by ElleTea; 02-28-2017 at 07:59 AM.. Reason: Let's be nice and not attack each othe, please

Old 02-20-2017, 03:17 PM

2,412 posts, read 1,499,696 times
'Ordinary families'? On whose authority do you have that? Where is the list of that details everything about all these 1200 people from 'ordinary families' - names, birthdates, places of birth, all medical records, all school records, all census records, all criminal/background check records, all documents such as passports and visas, etc. You have seen all those and verified them personally?

Old 02-22-2017, 11:34 AM

5,824 posts, read 5,521,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
SAYS WHO?

People from these countries can NOT be vetted correctly! Many other countries have already been attacked from people who slip in with "refugees". It sucks for those who get caught up in this mess but pull your head out of the sand.
Does it bother you that you are 1000+ more likely to die after falling from your bed than becoming a victim of a terrorist attack perpetrated by refugees or immigrants for that matter. I got that xenophobic conservative base does not like immigration and all sorts of ethnic and racial groups, but PLEASE be rational about it. An honest answer like - we do not like immigrants just because we do not like them is much more acceptable than all these moronic security "concerns" by the rural folks no self respecting terrorist would touch with a 10 miles long stick.

Old 02-23-2017, 06:49 AM

3,637 posts, read 3,614,471 times
Default Stee King

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
I'll defend atler. I think his heart is in the right place but I would imagine he isn't spending any quality time with people that vote differently then himself and his majority of acquaintances. I say this because a lot of comments come off as caricatures of real people who happen to vote differently.

I'm far from perfect myself, but I'm married to someone who generally votes the opposite of me. I also have family, friends, and loved ones that I know voted for Trump. At the same respect, I have very liberal friends and family as well. One of my friends was the state campaign chair for Howard Dean. We discuss politics, religion(he's an atheist) and other hot button issues often coming from completely different worldviews.

Intermingling with others (internet forums or FAcebook do not count) that hold different views are very important. It is too easy to just hang with your our own "tribe". When you do, you start making conclusions that if they believe X, they must be on George Soro's email newsletter mailing list and watch MSNBC 24/7. Likewise, if the believe Z, they orship Alt Right loud mouths and believe anything Fox News tells them.

Both are insulting and dehumanizing (and honestly, intellectually lazy) and both come from a place, in my opinion, of not spending time with others who hold different worldviews. If instead, we all made efforts to get to know people that are different than us and maybe even understand (not necessarily agree) with where they perspectives come from, we'd all have a lot less anxiety about how people end up voting in the end.

As an aside -- Steve King has faced weak opponent after weak opponent in his district. Some of his longevity is simply due to voters being offered no viable alternative.

In recent months I have been at the Iowa forum much less frequently, a fact which may have been disguised by my recent numerous posts made at the "Patrick Johnson" thread that I created that dealt with Ms. DeVos.
In view of my less frequent & briefer visits here, I did not see this post of yours until Tuesday of this week. I must say that it is one of the most disappointing personally-directed comments I have ever encountered on the forum.
[mod snip]
If you look at my political comments here, which make up a tiny portion of my overall output, I've said almost nothing about actual voters but rather have focused on politicians. As such, your remark about my comments coming off as "caricatures of real people who happen to vote differently" is stunning.
I'll leave it at that.

Last edited by ElleTea; 02-28-2017 at 08:02 AM.. Reason: baiting for an argument

Old 02-23-2017, 12:52 PM

3,265 posts, read 4,949,446 times
I say if you love refugees and believe in them so much, put your money where your mouth is. Open up your homes and house/feed them. It's easy volunteering someone else's resources.

Old 02-23-2017, 03:31 PM

459 posts, read 349,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
People like Steve King is reason enough to scare most anyone under the age of 60 to ever consider a move to many rural areas of the Midwest and Great Plains, unfortunately. Then, the people in the towns wonder why all younger people and families fled ages ago to larger metropolitan areas.
That's completely right. A majority of which will continue getting smaller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or