Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 01:30 PM

215 posts, read 283,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
I say if you love refugees and believe in them so much, put your money where your mouth is. Open up your homes and house/feed them. It's easy volunteering someone else's resources.
Actually, here in Iowa that’s pretty much what we do. We give them jobs so they can afford to live a decent life, jobs that established Americans won’t take like working in a packing house, janitorial work, those “dirty” job they are only too happy to accept. In return we get some damned hard working people, some of the friendliest neighbors you’ll meet, and folks who will work hard to become the best Americans you’ll ever see. Much like my Grandparents did.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:27 PM

296 posts, read 232,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ennaf View Post
Are you serious?

I think so. And there are MANY who agree!

Old 03-18-2017, 08:55 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,693,457 times
Words have consequences (as of course so do actions).
The "blowback" the Iowa Economic Development Authority has received on King does not surprise me one iota.
Combined with the story that went national this week of the West Des Moines teenager who was found starved to death clad in a diaper, Iowa really took it on the chin in news feeds & p.r. this week.
This week 2 people here in Atlanta, a friend & also a co-worker who know of my Iowa roots, asked me about Iowa and not in a favorable way so all I can wish for the IEDA is "Good luck with that" as in presenting Iowa as a reasonable & welcoming place for business & people.
My remaining best friend in metro Des Moines is so ashamed of King & disappointed & shocked by various hard-edged new laws & comments made by the legislature/legislators (i.e. Mark Chelgren who advocated the execution of undocumented immigrant felons) that she told me that she would move out of the state if she were not the advanced age that she is. I told her that I didn't blame her. I'd gladly assist her if she decides that will be her course.
The bottom line is that Iowa gop is not the Iowa gop that I grew up in & that, as I said early on here, "Words have consequences."

People say they're canceling their Iowa vacations because of Steve King's words

Old 03-18-2017, 03:26 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
Good afternoon, Atler! I've been working outside and came in for a water break.

I imagine it's tough hearing all of these negative things. I had an opportunity recently to meet Steve King through a friend of a friend. Up close and personal, he reminds me of a neocon Michael Moore (documentary maker -- "Roger and Me," among others). He's a total 180 to Mr. Moore politically, but they share the same sort of passion for their home towns and truly want the best for the residents. It's just how they are getting there that seems so problematic to those on both sides of the conversation.

Alter, I'm not well-to-do. I tend to look at the bottom line on a lot of issues because I have to live within my means, as do many others. You know from living here that we help each other as best we can in emergencies, and many of us feel sympathy for refugees and others who have been displaced. That said, when refugees break our laws, refuse to learn English, and otherwise behave badly, plus they need welfare because they don't have job skills, then the welcome mat gets pulled. It's not that we're evil, it's that we don't have enough money ourselves. Not to mention, some of us never had children because we couldn't afford them and we live within our means instead of getting welfare.

And in a very round-about way, that's what Steve was getting at when he made the comment about other people's babies. It hurts him that hard-working Iowans have to limit their families while lots of money is going to people who don't care about America.

I don't like how he worded that, but I understand his frustration and his fears.

It's sad that some people let what some politician said impact their lives to the point they will change their vacation plans, but we still have that freedom of choice. I choose not to let that sort of thing bother me. Politics is a contact sport here, and I don't play it: I bike, garden, and knit when I can't play outside. Steve King does his thing and I do mine. Ultimately, it will be up to the people in his district to shut him up by voting him out, if that is their will.

Enjoy your day, Alter! Weekends are all too short.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:29 AM

603 posts, read 573,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
Representative STEVE KING

Just went on live TV and called the 1,200 refugees in Australia "the worst of the worst"...

These are ordinary families forced to flee their homes , they get no choice as to what country they are sent to or the terms under which they are sent. Not illegals, Not terrorists but families like yours and mine.
I am not sure what it is about leftists that makes them play outside the sandbox - this is the Iowa forum, not the politics forum - but if you are going to open your mouth you need to get your facts right.

Your reference to Australian refugees references these people.

United States Receives Refugees Australia Rejects; Over 2,500 From Terror Hot Spots

Exposed: Obama's Secret Refugee Dump; 2,500 From Terror Hot Spots | The Federalist Papers

Steve King is a great Iowan and an American patriot.

Old 04-02-2017, 08:36 PM

389 posts, read 670,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movingrightalong... View Post
Steve King is a great Iowan and an American patriot.
Steve King does what Donald Trump tells him do.

And, Donald Trump does what Vladimir Putin tells him do.

Just the way Ronald Reagan would have wanted it.

Old 04-03-2017, 08:38 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,443,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funksoulbro View Post

HYSTERICAL!!

Old 04-03-2017, 02:53 PM

215 posts, read 283,087 times
Steve King is a great Iowan and an American patriot.[/quote]

Steve King is a xenophobic bigot who represents less than 1/12th of the population of Iowa. Even Republicans Joni Earnst (who, surprisingly, failed to castrate the members of Congress; her campaign pledge) and Chuck Grassley denounced his comments.

Old 04-03-2017, 07:52 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,351,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funksoulbro View Post

k:

Old 04-04-2017, 12:36 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,606,601 times
If we are in a declred war with Radical Islamic Terrorists, I think we need to be very careful about who we let into the United States from the countries in the Middle East that pose us the most threat. We don't know who we're getting. It wouldnt surprise me if we are getting alot of criminals and troublemakers and ruthless people and other kinds of undesireable people that respectable law abiding citizens don't want to be around. That's kinda what Cuba did a few years back.. There's alot of people from those countries who have a deep seated hatred for anybody who is a non-Muslim and America. Alot of them believe in the Quoran word for word just as it is. If they can wipe out a bunch of infidels and non-Muslims they will be rewarded in Heaven. I'm sure that's a very small minority of all Muslims, who really believe like that, but it doesn't take an entire army of people to unleash all kinds of chaos, tragedy, disaster on the United States. Law abiding, America loving Muslims shouldn't be offended. It's not personal. They should surely be able to understand why peopke from their religion and their corner of their world is facing tougher scrutiny than other religions and countries. If the situation was reversed, and I was trying to escape from a brutal govt to a country that my people have terrorized for the past 20 or so years, I would totally understand why they would check me out with a fine toothed comb before letting me into their country. It's not personal and its not bigotry. It's just doing what needs to be done. Taking care of business.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 04-04-2017 at 01:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
View detailed profiles of: