U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 08:12 AM

9 posts, read 10,758 times

Advertisements

I have a 5-year-old son with autism. We live now in Ohio and we are receiving some treatment benefits from the county we live in, in addition to the Autism Scholarship Program (36k per year) which is provided by the State.

We plan on moving to Iowa City, Iowa by the end of 2017 as I will be seeking a graduate degree at the University of Iowa.

I would like to know if there is similar assistance in Iowa that my son would benefit from, and what state-funded services can be accessible for my son.

Thanks in advance for helping!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 08:48 AM

1,670 posts, read 2,397,194 times
The Center for Disabilities and Development at the University of Iowa Children's Hospital is a good place to start.

https://uichildrens.org/medical-serv...nd-development

Also Grant Wood Area Education Agency.

http://www.aea10.k12.ia.us/

Last edited by smpliving; 02-15-2017 at 09:01 AM..

Old 02-15-2017, 09:17 AM

7,234 posts, read 13,807,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave198112 View Post
I have a 5-year-old son with autism. We live now in Ohio and we are receiving some treatment benefits from the county we live in, in addition to the Autism Scholarship Program (36k per year) which is provided by the State.

We plan on moving to Iowa City, Iowa by the end of 2017 as I will be seeking a graduate degree at the University of Iowa.

I would like to know if there is similar assistance in Iowa that my son would benefit from, and what state-funded services can be accessible for my son.

Thanks in advance for helping!
What degree are you seeking in Iowa that you can't do in Ohio?!! Those are some tremendous benefits, well worth staying put to access!

Old 02-15-2017, 09:32 AM

1,670 posts, read 2,397,194 times
You might also want to consider the political climate in Iowa lately. There has been talk that public services such as for the disabled may be cut.

Old 02-15-2017, 04:59 PM

167 posts, read 283,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigizug View Post
You might also want to consider the political climate in Iowa lately. There has been talk that public services such as for the disabled may be cut.
While it is possible that funds may be cut, it's still too early to tell what the effects of it would be. While budget cuts may have some negative effects for some with disabilities, there's not enough information right now to say Iowa is a bad choice. The minimal increase of state funds to public schools would be a bigger concern than funds of the disabled at this point because that is already been approved by the governor.

My guess is the backlash against Trump will result in a surge of Democrats winning at the national and state level in 2018, including Iowa. When more Democrats are elected in Iowa, funding cuts will be reversed and possibly increased beyond current levels. Only time will tell.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
What degree are you seeking in Iowa that you can't do in Ohio?!! Those are some tremendous benefits, well worth staying put to access!
I was not offered an admission in Ohio. I was wondering if similar benefits are available in IA.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
The Center for Disabilities and Development at the University of Iowa Children's Hospital is a good place to start.

https://uichildrens.org/medical-serv...nd-development

Also Grant Wood Area Education Agency.

GWAEA :: Home
Thanks a lot!

Old 03-02-2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:

That is really unfortunate!

Old 06-24-2017, 12:48 PM

5 posts, read 3,887 times
Hi Dave198112!

I too am a parent of a child with Autism. The CDD at the University of Iowa is a great place to start. There are other non profit organizations that work well with supporting both families and the child her in Iowa City...but the the CDD is a great place to start and they will help with a majority of the resources needed. I live here in IC (born and raised in Iowa) I have a lot of knowledge regarding the best neighborhoods, schools etc. Please feel free to contact me...I'd be more than happy to help you in anyway I can!

Old 06-25-2017, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylormade1st View Post
Hi Dave198112!

I too am a parent of a child with Autism. The CDD at the University of Iowa is a great place to start. There are other non profit organizations that work well with supporting both families and the child her in Iowa City...but the the CDD is a great place to start and they will help with a majority of the resources needed. I live here in IC (born and raised in Iowa) I have a lot of knowledge regarding the best neighborhoods, schools etc. Please feel free to contact me...I'd be more than happy to help you in anyway I can!

Dear Taylormade1st,

Thank you so much for you reply and providing this info. Thank you too for offering to proivde info about the best neighborhoods and schools. My child is 5 years old and he has mild autism with speech delay. He is having IEP implemented by the school district. He is in pre-k and will stay in pre-k until August 2018. My family will move to Iowa in December 2017.

I need to know the best areas in to live with an autustic kid, and what elementary school can be the most benefeicial for him. I will be going to the University of Iowa graduate school for study, but I do not mind living in any area that is good for my child regardless of its distance to my school.

Again, all help is appreciated and I pray for you and your kid to have the best quality of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or