U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 08:24 AM

9,400 posts, read 10,250,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
Best Steakhouse - hands down -- 801 Steak and Chop. 801 Chophouse - Des Moines Steakhouse & Fine Dining Question is: do you want to spend that much? It will be a memorable meal....no doubt about it. If not, I'd go: 1) Chicago Speakeasy 2) Jesse's, 3) Iowa Steakhouse (distant 3rd).

Best Seafood: Splash or Waterfront (2 locations). Both fly in their seafood, so it is fresh. Splash is downtown and probably a touch more expensive than Waterfront.
I'd recommend Chicago Speakeasy over 801 Chophouse. I was very underwhelmed with 801. Chicago Speakeasy is a cool little place, thought it looks like nothing from the outside. In that same neighborhood, I'd also say stop at Chuck's if you like pizza/Italian. You can enjoy some good music there on the weekends, too.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:45 AM

5,105 posts, read 6,657,697 times
OP, you are in Iowa where the pigs outnumber the humans! If you are able, go
to the Machine Shed and have a pork dish!

Urbandale | Machine Shed Restaurant

While the two seafood places are great, Iowa is not known for seafood. This is beef, pork, and chicken country, and I've had the best beef and pork in Iowa that I've ever eaten! The chicken award still goes to the Amish Door Restaurant in Kidron, OH, but a lot of places have come close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 11:14 AM

645 posts, read 917,066 times
Quote:
Best Steakhouse - hands down -- 801 Steak and Chop. 801 Chophouse - Des Moines Steakhouse & Fine Dining Question is: do you want to spend that much? It will be a memorable meal....no doubt about it. If not, I'd go: 1) Chicago Speakeasy 2) Jesse's, 3) Iowa Steakhouse (distant 3rd).

Best Seafood: Splash or Waterfront (2 locations). Both fly in their seafood, so it is fresh. Splash is downtown and probably a touch more expensive than Waterfront.

I would make Iowa Steakhouse a WAY distant 3rd. I was there last year and I thought the food was mediocre at best. The atmosphere is bad too....reminds me of the restaurants my parents used to take me in the late 70s/early 80s. It feels like you are in someone's house. But really, the steak didn't have much flavor and everything cost extra.

I am so glad that you reminded me of Waterfront, though. When I lived in Des Moines that was our favorite place for clam chowder. I totally forgot about it.....I'll have to stop by there the next time I am in town.

Old 06-14-2017, 11:17 AM

35,107 posts, read 42,950,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
Iowa State Obesity Data, Rates and Trends: The State of Obesity Dated info , but no wonder. Reading some of that stuff makes me sick. But when you aren't used to dumping that crap into your body.

Heard on NPR, Iowa has 1.6 million people that are classified as obese. Out of a population of 3.1 million.

I have attended that fair many times although its been 30+years.
So what, a once per year visit to the fair to eat one's way through the food on a stick is not going to cause any of the overly dramatic *trends* you have listed.
A couple weeks ago I ate my way through Illinois, Kentucky and Tennessee and I still lot 6 pounds while traveling.
Your point is what exactly?

Old 06-14-2017, 11:21 AM

35,107 posts, read 42,950,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktulu7 View Post
One trip to the fair to eat a lot of crazy stuff won't make you fat... At least you're also probably walking around all day in the heat. Ya gotta have some fun once in a while!
A wee bit of advice for those in the heat, if you eat a cold dill pickle it will cool you down almost instantly and help hydrate you. Be careful out there in the heat.

Old 06-14-2017, 11:29 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,819,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I'd recommend Chicago Speakeasy over 801 Chophouse. I was very underwhelmed with 801. Chicago Speakeasy is a cool little place, thought it looks like nothing from the outside. In that same neighborhood, I'd also say stop at Chuck's if you like pizza/Italian. You can enjoy some good music there on the weekends, too.
I've never had less than the most excellent meal at 801 Steakhouse. I've eaten with individuals at various timed that have come to Des Moines from all over the country and thus heard their firsthand feedback as well. Never had anyone that wasn't blown away. That said, I'm not sure I've ever had to pick up the tab...always been on company's dime. I have a hard time spending that much of my own hard earned money on a meal....especially since my palet can be satisfied for much less. That said, there is no doubt in my mind, you can't get a better steak anywhere in Des Moines. To me, this is a special occasion place.

In reality, the comparison is apples to oranges between Chicago and 801...in both cost and atmosphere. Chicago you can comfortably wear jeans. In 801, you'd be severally out of place. A lot just depends on what your expectations are.

Old 06-14-2017, 11:38 AM

9,400 posts, read 10,250,538 times
Quote:
I've never had less than the most excellent meal at 801 Steakhouse. I've eaten with individuals at various timed that have come to Des Moines from all over the country and thus heard their firsthand feedback as well. Never had anyone that wasn't blown away. That said, I'm not sure I've ever had to pick up the tab...always been on company's dime. I have a hard time spending that much of my own hard earned money on a meal....especially since my palet can be satisfied for much less. That said, there is no doubt in my mind, you can't get a better steak anywhere in Des Moines. To me, this is a special occasion place.

In reality, the comparison is apples to oranges between Chicago and 801...in both cost and atmosphere. Chicago you can comfortably wear jeans. In 801, you'd be severally out of place. A lot just depends on what your expectations are.
Food quality of Chicago Speakeasy is better, IMO. The time we ate at 801 I was really amazed at even how dull and drab the decor was. Very plain looking. I also slipped and almost fell on some food that was spilled on the floor and not cleaned up. Not fun when you are wearing heels, and I never got an "are you okay?" or even a "sorry about that" when several employees saw it happen! The food was nothing special and the meal was expensive.

Sure Chicago Speakeasy is far more casual, but much better food, which is what the question was about. There was no mention of high end or not. I actually regret that I didn't try CS sooner in the time I was in DM. It was always a "we should go there sometime" place as we drove by but never did until my last year there!

Old 06-14-2017, 01:13 PM

9,243 posts, read 17,663,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Remember, the question was about the best restaurant for steak, not the steakhouse with the best atmosphere or all-around menu. Being a self-described once-a-year meat eater, you might want to leave this one to the full-time omnivores.

I always used to head north to the Broiler when I wanted steak, but that was mainly because after working 55 hours a week in the metro I didn't want to go back there for supper.

Old 06-14-2017, 02:04 PM

111 posts, read 75,657 times
The topic was about state fair food.

Old 06-14-2017, 02:20 PM

5,105 posts, read 6,657,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
The topic was about state fair food.
True! We have a bad habit of drifting threads around here.

Back to the State Fair: I think the grilled ribeyes at the fair are as good as anything you'll find in the restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa