U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 02:38 PM

9,400 posts, read 10,241,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Remember, the question was about the best restaurant for steak, not the steakhouse with the best atmosphere or all-around menu. Being a self-described once-a-year meat eater, you might want to leave this one to the full-time omnivores.

I always used to head north to the Broiler when I wanted steak, but that was mainly because after working 55 hours a week in the metro I didn't want to go back there for supper.
I was thinking more of my dining companion who eats steak every chance he gets. He was MUCH more enthused about Chicago Speakeasy than 801. I asked him about it over lunch today and he again said he was not in the least bit impressed with 801. I'd never recommend it to anyone, I was not happy I wasted my "once a year" on that meal!

The atmosphere and service are also just as important, if not more so, as the actual meal itself, so my opinions about atmosphere are also quite valid, really. I would think twice about dropping a lot of a cash in a place that was not an enjoyable all around experience even if what I actually ate was amazing.

Old 06-14-2017, 03:14 PM

4,272 posts, read 5,082,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I had actually posted this in Food.. But they decided to move it over here.

I'm actually coming up from SC to see it. Well.. and to visit my dad who lives in Des Moines, but..

Since this got moved over to the Iowa forum.. Let me pose a question for you all.. What would be your pick for best restaurant in Des Moines for seafood and best for steak? No chains.. I don't go 1500 miles to eat at a place I could go to here.

I'm looking at Iowa Beef Steakhouse and Jesse's Embers.. Those good? Someone told me one of them you cook your own.. If so, that's a no.. I'm not paying to cook my own damn steak..

What about seafood, though? Who does that well? I know.. Not exactly alot of oceans around there, but.. Figure someone has a connection..
I'd love to eat a steak in Iowa, but seafood? Isn't that like going to Maine for Mexican food? Idaho for soul food?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 04:01 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,816,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I was thinking more of my dining companion who eats steak every chance he gets. He was MUCH more enthused about Chicago Speakeasy than 801. I asked him about it over lunch today and he again said he was not in the least bit impressed with 801. I'd never recommend it to anyone, I was not happy I wasted my "once a year" on that meal!

The atmosphere and service are also just as important, if not more so, as the actual meal itself, so my opinions about atmosphere are also quite valid, really. I would think twice about dropping a lot of a cash in a place that was not an enjoyable all around experience even if what I actually ate was amazing.
So how many times have you actually eaten there?

I will just add for the benefit of the person asking the question -- I am a regular steak eater. I've eaten their several times over several years and also share the feedback of clients who come from cities all over the country that I've taken there that raved about it after the experience . You can't walk out of there without dropping some serious coin, so obviously the service, atmosphere, and quality of food is high-end. The restaurant has also been in business since 1993 in Des Moines and due to their success, have added locations in Denver, KC, Omaha, and St Louis....all cities with plenty of great steakhouses already to choose from.

I have no personal financial stake (no pun intended) in their success or failure, but just want to be sure the individual asking the questions has a fair review from all perspectives.

Last edited by capitalcityguy; 06-14-2017 at 04:15 PM..

Old 06-14-2017, 04:02 PM

11,038 posts, read 8,437,134 times
Yeah, i'll say that when I looked at 801 Chophouse it looked a tad snooty. $50+ for a steak.. It's pushing it.

Chicago Speakeasy seems a fair place.. That would certainly be on the list of considerations.

Sometimes in the weirdest places, you can get the best seafood.. Now, i'll admit.. best seafood I ever got was down in Louisiana.. But you never know. Sometimes there's a place somewhere like downtown Des Moines that has astounding seafood. You wouldn't expect it, but there it is. I will say, I had the best burger I've ever gotten at a restaurant inside a Best Western(?) in Dubuque a number of years ago.. The fact that I hadn't eaten in about a day and a half might have made it taste somewhat better, but still..

If you're ever down SC way.. I'll throw this one out as a fun recommendation.. Saskatoon Steakhouse Restaurant Greenville SC

That's a cool place.. Love their motto.. "There's room for all of God's creatures.. Right next to the mashed potatoes"

The online menu doesn't do the place justice, because they wind up having a number of specials that rotate out, pending on what they have available.. Fried Gator Tail is almost always offered as an app.. I've gotten Emu from there before.. Ostrich is a go to if you want to be somewhat adventurous, but not crazy.. Some kind of Bison is normally a special.

the only thing I can think of that they've never had and say they just can't reliably get, so they never offer it, is rattlesnake.

Old 06-14-2017, 04:23 PM

11,038 posts, read 8,437,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
True! We have a bad habit of drifting threads around here.

Back to the State Fair: I think the grilled ribeyes at the fair are as good as anything you'll find in the restaurants.
Eh.. I asked the question and I sidetracked it.. So.. It's still all my fault.. But, if we say it's my topic.. I don't care, so.. If a tree falls in the forest..

But, yes.. Back to the fair.. I'm excited to get up there and see what it's all about. We have fairs down here in the south, but the focus isn't quite as much on the food like it seems to be up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa