Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 11:06 AM

17,381 posts, read 14,911,744 times

Advertisements

So, i'm going up to Des Moines for the Iowa State Fair this year.. One of the largest fairs in the US, certainly one of the most well-known.. 600lb butter cow sculpture..

But, the food is kinda the point of this one.

So, here's the list of Food-on-a-stick

1. Apple Fritter Bites
  2. Apple Pie On-A-Stick
  3. Bacon Wrapped Riblet
  4. Bacon-Wrapped Smokies
  5. Cajun Chicken
  6. Cake Pops
  7. Caprese Salad On-a-Stick
  8. Caramel Apple
  9. Caramel Cocoa Crispy Crunch
  10. Carmellows
  11. Cheddar Bacon Cheese On A Stick
  12. Cheese
  13. Chicken
  14. Chocolate-Covered Cheesecake
  15. Chocolate Covered Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
  16. Chocolate Covered Chunky Bacon Maple Nougat On-a-stick
  17. Chocolate Covered Cookies N Cream On-a-stick
  18. Chocolate-Covered Deep Fried Cheesecake
  19. Chocolate-Covered Ice Cream Cookie Sandwich
  20. Chocolate-Covered Key Lime Dream Bar
  21. Chocolate-Covered Peanut Butter Bar
  22. Coconut Mountain
  23. Corn on the Cob
  24. Cornbrat (bratwurst dipped in corndog batter)
  25. Corndog
  26. Cotton Candy
  27. Crazy Tater
  28. Deep Fried Brownie
  29. Deep Fried Sweet Corn Corndog
  30. Deep-Fried Milky Way
  31. Deep-Fried Snickers
  32. Deep-Fried Twinkie
  33. Double Bacon Corn Dog
  34. Dutch Letter
  35. Egg on a Stick
  36. Fair Square (Original, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Marshmallow Malt flavors)
  37. Fried Fruit Kabob
  38. Fruit (with yogurt dipping sauce)
  39. Funnel Bacon On A Stick
  40. Funnel Cake Sticks
  41. German Sausage
  42. Gluten Free Corndog - NEW in 2015
  43. Golden Fried Peanut Butter and Jelly on a Stick
  44. Griddle Stick (turkey sausage wrapped in a pancake)
  45. Hard-Boiled Egg
  46. Honey
  47. Hot Bologna
  48. Hot Dog
  49. Hot Lips (breaded chicken breast smothered with hot sauce, served with blue cheese dressing)
  50. Ice Cream Wonder Bar
  51. Italian Bacon Wrap On A Stick
  52. Jalapeno Corndog
  53. Jumbo Toasted Marshmallow On-a-stick
  54. Kabob Combo
  55. Kernel Kluster
  56. Lamb Sausage (brat)
  57. Loaded Tators On A Stick
  58. Mexican Grilled Corn On-the-Cob
  59. Monkey Tail (chocolate-covered banana)
  60. Nutty Bar
  61. Peanut Butter & Jelly
  62. Pickle
  63. Pineapple (fresh pineapple dipped in funnel cake batter and deep fried)
  64. Pork Chop
  65. Push-ups
  66. Rainbow Popsicle
  67. Rib Shack Cowboy
  68. Rock Candy
  69. Salad
  70. Sesame Chicken
  71. Shrimp Corndog
  72. Smoothie
  73. Soft Salted Chocolate Dipped Almond Pretzel
  74. Spicy Shrimp
  75. Tater Dog On-a-stick
  76. Teriyaki Beef
  77. Toasted Coconut Caramel Cluster
  78. Turkey Drumstick
  79. Turkey Tenderloin
  80. Twinkie Log (frozen Twinkie dipped in white chocolate and rolled in cashews)
  81. Ultimate Bacon Brisket Bomb
  82. Unicorn Lollipops
  83. Veggie Corndog

This is a list of the new foods for last year..

Dig into these 26 new foods at the Iowa State Fair

Just.. interesting things there. Not exactly low-cal, but you're at a fair.. It's not supposed to be healthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 11:17 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,495,578 times
Iowa State Obesity Data, Rates and Trends: The State of Obesity Dated info , but no wonder. Reading some of that stuff makes me sick. But when you aren't used to dumping that crap into your body.

Heard on NPR, Iowa has 1.6 million people that are classified as obese. Out of a population of 3.1 million.

I have attended that fair many times although its been 30+years.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:25 PM

1,858 posts, read 1,632,719 times
"On-a-stick" is the food-group base of my nutrition-pyramid.

Old 06-12-2017, 01:46 PM

5,044 posts, read 2,357,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
Iowa State Obesity Data, Rates and Trends: The State of Obesity Dated info , but no wonder. Reading some of that stuff makes me sick. But when you aren't used to dumping that crap into your body.

Heard on NPR, Iowa has 1.6 million people that are classified as obese. Out of a population of 3.1 million.

It isn't meant to be eaten everyday. Go back to California with your abrasive approach.

Old 06-12-2017, 02:34 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,325,927 times
People that are obese in Iowa are not so because of the 10-day-a-year Iowa State Fair.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:58 PM

555 posts, read 495,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post

Wow, I bet you're just the life of every party you attend. Or crash, as in this case. Anyway, we all know fair food isn't the healthiest, regardless of the state it's held in. I'm not normally a "state" fair person (prefer county fairs), but I'm looking forward to experiencing the famous Iowa State Fair this year! Thanks OP for the list!

Old 06-13-2017, 03:35 PM

392 posts, read 745,737 times
One trip to the fair to eat a lot of crazy stuff won't make you fat... At least you're also probably walking around all day in the heat. Ya gotta have some fun once in a while!

Old 06-13-2017, 03:48 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,544,518 times
I eat healthful things most of the time. Not at the fair! Looking forward to bacon-anything!

Old 06-13-2017, 04:39 PM

17,381 posts, read 14,911,744 times
I had actually posted this in Food.. But they decided to move it over here.

I'm actually coming up from SC to see it. Well.. and to visit my dad who lives in Des Moines, but..

Since this got moved over to the Iowa forum.. Let me pose a question for you all.. What would be your pick for best restaurant in Des Moines for seafood and best for steak? No chains.. I don't go 1500 miles to eat at a place I could go to here.

I'm looking at Iowa Beef Steakhouse and Jesse's Embers.. Those good? Someone told me one of them you cook your own.. If so, that's a no.. I'm not paying to cook my own damn steak..

What about seafood, though? Who does that well? I know.. Not exactly alot of oceans around there, but.. Figure someone has a connection..

Old 06-13-2017, 05:32 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,325,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I had actually posted this in Food.. But they decided to move it over here.

I'm actually coming up from SC to see it. Well.. and to visit my dad who lives in Des Moines, but..

Since this got moved over to the Iowa forum.. Let me pose a question for you all.. What would be your pick for best restaurant in Des Moines for seafood and best for steak? No chains.. I don't go 1500 miles to eat at a place I could go to here.

I'm looking at Iowa Beef Steakhouse and Jesse's Embers.. Those good? Someone told me one of them you cook your own.. If so, that's a no.. I'm not paying to cook my own damn steak..

What about seafood, though? Who does that well? I know.. Not exactly a lot of oceans around there, but.. Figure someone has a connection..
Best Steakhouse - hands down -- 801 Steak and Chop. 801 Chophouse - Des Moines Steakhouse & Fine Dining Question is: do you want to spend that much? It will be a memorable meal....no doubt about it. If not, I'd go: 1) Chicago Speakeasy 2) Jesse's, 3) Iowa Steakhouse (distant 3rd).

Best Seafood: Splash or Waterfront (2 locations). Both fly in their seafood, so it is fresh. Splash is downtown and probably a touch more expensive than Waterfront.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa