U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 07:14 PM

25 posts, read 15,474 times

Advertisements

I'm currently relocating from North Dakota and looking for a new State to move to. I'd originally planned on either Arizona or Texas, because I want some sunshine and I hate the cold/wind, but the hotter States I had in mind have largely been ruled out for reasons I'll outline below. In my searches for a potential new home, Iowa has consistently popped up, and I've narrowed it down to Iowa City and Des Moines. On paper, both seem pretty much the same, and I genuinely can't tell which would be the better to move to. I was hoping a local, or someone who's visited would be able to give me some pointers.

My only criteria to swing it for me would be:

1. Better/broader public transport coverage. I don't drive, and I don't have a license; I'd be entirely reliant on buses. I need somewhere that's compact or has a PTS that's decent enough to cover the basics of getting me where I need to go (work/groceries/mall).

2. Cost of living/Rent. I'd be going into a houseshare, and whilst I suppose that's entirely up to the current tenants, which city is generally cheaper?

3. Job market. I'm used to unskilled, minimum-wage jobs, so I'd probably take up retail or service until I get a cushy office job somewhere. Which city is better for getting a 'burner' job straight away?

4. Nightlife. I'm not really bothered about scenery or outdoors activities; my interests would be in going to some decent restaurants/bars/clubs with friends.

5. Climate. I suppose not being too far from each other, and largely parallel there won't be too much of a difference, but which is warmer and/or not so windy?

6. Crime. I have no friends, and no family, I'm on my own. The obvious inconvenience of it aside, I can't afford, financially and for the sake of my mental health, to get mugged or injured.

7. Diversity. I prefer mingling with younger people, and racial/cultural/ideological homogeneity bores me.

NB: from my searches, I've seen a lot of talk about how native Iowans are cliquey, or insular. How much truth to that is there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 08:45 PM

5,105 posts, read 6,653,217 times
Quote:
1. Better/broader public transport coverage. I don't drive, and I don't have a license; I'd be entirely reliant on buses.
Just based on this statement, I suggest that you consider Ames, instead, and try to live near the downtown.

Briefly: Ames is a much smaller college town that will still have some burner jobs and will be much, much easier for you to get around in on foot/bike/bus. The job market is better than Decorah (another college town).

IC is walkable around campus, and I know people who live there without cars, but it's spread out, as is Des Moines. There are buses in Des Moines, but it takes a fair amount of time to get around on them. If you have the money, you could live in one of the new lofts in downtown Des Moines, work downtown, and shop at the new HyVee, but if you don't have much money to start with, I'd suggest finding roommates/student housing in Ames.

If you aren't loaded up with junk, you can always move around -- these cities aren't that far apart.

Added: Oh, and Iowa is windy, period -- the whole state! If you can't deal with wind, it won't be a good fit because the air is rarely still, except in August. I love the wind! The air is wonderful here. (:

Old 06-14-2017, 09:27 PM

OP, I read your other thread.

1. I strongly recommend that you patch things up with your brother so that you have longer than a week before you have to move. You're living on your savings, so you can't afford to make a mistake.

2. Go to the library and get some travel videos about other states and also a US map and study it so that you have a strong visualization of where cities are. If you want warmth, you need to stay in the South. Iowa is not warm in the winter. We get sub-zero temps here, too!

3. Austin, Texas would be a good fit for you, in my opinion. It's a college town with walkabilty and plenty of heat. The Texas economy is generally good and your chances of getting a burner job are fairly high. Longer term, you really ought to look into getting a 2-year degree in nursing or something that will get you a better job. I don't think you'll be able to do much with theology -- churches out here are cutting back.

4. If you are sold on Iowa because it's close and you have to move out of your brother's place, my recommendation for Ames still stands. It will be very easy for you to get a place with roommates and no job. It's summer and sublets will be available (and that's true for all college towns). Target is hiring, as is Barilla (the pasta company).

Old 06-14-2017, 11:45 PM

Thanks, Meemur. Reconciliation is out of the question, I'm afraid. I've bumped IA up the list due to the relatively low cost and somewhat decent public transport. I'm looking into Ames as well, per your recommendation.

Old 06-14-2017, 11:55 PM

Leave some money in your budget for proper winter clothing if you haven't already bought any: long johns, down parka, wool socks, etc., are really going to help if you intend to winter in Ames. It's a little colder up there than Des Moines, but it might not be as bad as where you are in ND. If you work at Target and live a few blocks north, you'll be within walking distance of about 10 restaurants, two grocery stores, plus the campus entertainment. There are bars, too, but I don't go there.

Newest Photos - Photostream - Iowa State University

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Location...Ames_Iowa.html

Old 06-14-2017, 11:57 PM

Great advice, thank you. I've already got plenty of cold weather gear still with me!

Old 06-15-2017, 08:56 AM

30,257 posts, read 66,830,798 times
Lou-ah-vul

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisville,_Kentucky

Old 06-15-2017, 09:28 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,580,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Just based on this statement, I suggest that you consider Ames, instead, and try to live near the downtown.

Briefly: Ames is a much smaller college town that will still have some burner jobs and will be much, much easier for you to get around in on foot/bike/bus. The job market is better than Decorah (another college town).

IC is walkable around campus, and I know people who live there without cars, but it's spread out, as is Des Moines. There are buses in Des Moines, but it takes a fair amount of time to get around on them. If you have the money, you could live in one of the new lofts in downtown Des Moines, work downtown, and shop at the new HyVee, but if you don't have much money to start with, I'd suggest finding roommates/student housing in Ames.

If you aren't loaded up with junk, you can always move around -- these cities aren't that far apart.

Added: Oh, and Iowa is windy, period -- the whole state! If you can't deal with wind, it won't be a good fit because the air is rarely still, except in August. I love the wind! The air is wonderful here. (:
The wind in Iowa is *nothing* compared to the wind in the Dakotas and large swaths of Minnesota. Southwest Minnesota gets year-round gusts of 30+ mph.

That said, Iowa still has plenty of wind to spare, hence all the windfarms popping up throughout the state.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
That said, Iowa still has plenty of wind to spare, hence all the windfarms popping up throughout the state.
Exactly. I know a guy who just got hired for one of the new ones. The air is rarely still here, except when we really need it during the dog days of August.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:46 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,580,127 times
Generally speaking, the further west you go in Iowa, the windier it gets. Sioux City is windier than Des Moines, which is windier than Iowa City.

The Great Plains seems to be one giant wind tunnel, from North Dakota all the way down to Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or