Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 03:13 PM

114 posts, read 484,841 times

Advertisements

Yes, but aren't businesses actually in
private buildings? Last time I checked , buildings were own by people and not the government. So how come the government can tell someone what to do in their own private area. If those that don't want the smoke they can just not go there. no one is forcing you to go out and eat at a restaurant where smokers go. You have the freedom to not go.just as smoker's have (or did) have the freedom to go. and how it it different than breathing in exhaust fume?

I think that they need to get off the whole smoking thing. The studies are inconclusive anyway. There is a bigger drinking problem here in Iowa than a smoking problem. I mean, you have the choice to move yourself from a smoky situation, you DON"T have the choice to get yourself hit head on by a drunk driver, ge injuried, or worse die.
JMHO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 03:40 PM

638 posts, read 971,083 times
To be honest, I really don't care that much whether or not smoking is banned in public places. I just think that if someone is on their own property then they should be allowed to smoke there if they want to. And I don't think people should be forbidden to smoke in their own cars just because the smell *might* drift over to someone else's car.

Old 04-17-2008, 04:27 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,103,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPerkins33 View Post
I am conservative on every issue but this one.
Wrong. That makes you a NON-CONSERVATIVE.

Quote:

And there you go lying about not being a smoker, your credibility just hit rock bottom:
Come to think of it my reputation is higher than yours. Not that I give a flying flip, but you decided to get personal.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:00 PM

310 posts, read 1,278,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
Wrong. That makes you a NON-CONSERVATIVE.

Come to think of it my reputation is higher than yours. Not that I give a flying flip, but you decided to get personal.
oooo reputation on city data! Highly regarded! Take notice that you joined before I did.

fact remains you lied about being a non smoker, just like dubuqueaskme lied about being a college graduate when he's really in high school. If you have to lie to get people to listen to you then you obviously have zero credibility to begin with. Some conservative you are, you're supposed to have high moral standards yet you can't even tell the truth.

BTW I didn't even vote for Culver.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:03 PM

769 posts, read 2,225,002 times
Quote:
You haven't torn down my arguments in any way shape or form.

the fact that people actually think they have property rights in the first place is sad. At most you are just leasing it until Wal Mart decides they need a new store and your land is the perfect place for it. Totally messed up? Yes. A real thing? Sadly.

And don't call me a fascist, I am conservative on every issue but this one.

And there you go lying about not being a smoker, your credibility just hit rock bottom:

//www.city-data.com/forum/2882387-post27.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/2890602-post35.html
I don't regularly post on this forum but I had to laugh my damn ass off at this! Wow! That LePerkins dude just owned that zztopguy in his own lie! And the dude can't even cover up!

Old 04-17-2008, 06:15 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,103,550 times
That's noble of you... you decided to do a thread search and dig up dirt to take away focus from your own argument. Typical.

Yes I do smoke.... about twice a year when somebody offers me one in a bar. I do enjoy it but am smart enough not go out and start it as a habit.

Hardly a routine smoker; this smoking ban will affect me about as much as common sense affects you. It is the property rights that are the issue here. If it wasn't smoking they'd find something else to ban.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:21 PM

2 posts, read 6,182 times
Default Iowa Smoking Ban takes it in the shorts

I have to agree with all of you who are in favor of the non-smoking ban.I can't stand it when I'm at some business or other establishment and someone lites up and blows their second hand smoke my direction.I'm a construction worker and I've noticed that more and more construction sites are going smoke free,and I wouldn't care if some day they ban cigarettes and all kinds of smoking altogether.Something that really pees me off is to see some 10 yr.old standing on the street corner with a cancer stick hanging from his lip thinking he's some kind of macho dude,just cause his parents smoke that makes him think he's cool.Thats bull-crap.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:13 PM

310 posts, read 1,278,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
That's noble of you... you decided to do a thread search and dig up dirt to take away focus from your own argument. Typical.

Yes I do smoke.... about twice a year when somebody offers me one in a bar. I do enjoy it but am smart enough not go out and start it as a habit.

Hardly a routine smoker; this smoking ban will affect me about as much as common sense affects you. It is the property rights that are the issue here. If it wasn't smoking they'd find something else to ban.
Nope it has nothing to do with taking focus away from my argument, my argument is solid.

It has everything to with the fact that if you can't tell the truth about smoking then how can anyone take anything you say seriously. And saying "I am one of those smokers you all hate" means you are a regular smoker, no one who smokes "about twice a year" would say they are a smoker at any time.

And you can complain about propert rights all you want but you are in denial if you think you actually own ANYTHING. Ever hear of eminent domain? You should be more concerned about that then a few bars and restaurants going smoke free. I know I am.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:42 PM

681 posts, read 3,026,578 times
I'm putting the over/under at 5 posts before this thread gets shut down for bickering and insults....

Old 04-18-2008, 11:46 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,427,463 times
Quote:

You just don't get it do you? You can talk about your rights until you are blue in the face but you are impeding on MY right to breathe smoke free air, you have no grounds to *****. I've had to deal with that crap my entire life, you've had free reign to blow that crap in non-smokers faces for as long as cigarettes have been around. There are way more non smokers than there are smokers so you might as well come to grips with the fact that the majority doesn't want deal with cigarette smoke wherever we go.

It has nothing to do with sheltering. It has everything to do with the fact that I shouldn't have to smell your disgusting habit everywhere I go. I don't care if you want to slowly kill yourself, just don't do it around me, or your kids.

Have some damn respect for other people and keep your habit to yourself. How you decided that smoking would be a good thing to start doing is beyond me.
I would like to commend you on your vocabulary. Cursing always makes a debate so much more interesting. You sound like an 8 year old who has been listening to his drunk uncle!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa