Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2017, 06:58 PM

135 posts, read 226,036 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Born and raised in Iowa.....1998 joined the Air Force and i have been gone since then. Well, the last 20 years has been amazing, but it may be time to call it a day after 20 years serving this great country. The wife and I plan on moving back to Iowa, yes, sounds crazy, but we have lived all over the country but we want the 4 seasons and the slow simple life that Iowa offers. Now to my question, how strict are the tint laws nowadays? All three of my vehicles are heavily tinted and I am wondering how much of a pain it may be. My car is very dark, my truck needs the tint redone after 16 years of the same tint, and my wife's Jeep has no tint on the driver/passenger window. Right now we live in Texas, and will be for the next 18 months, just wondering how the laws are nowadays.

Thank You!!!

Aaron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2017, 08:50 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,608,438 times
Iowa State Patrol Division - FAQ Answers

321.438 Windshields and windows

1. A person shall not drive a motor vehicle equipped with a windshield, side-wings, or side or rear windows which do not permit clear vision.2. A person shall not operate on the highway a motor vehicle equipped with a front windshield, a side window to the immediate right or left of the driver, or a side-wing forward of and to the left or right of the driver which is excessively dark or reflective so that it is difficult for a person outside the motor vehicle to see into the motor vehicle through the windshield, window, or sidewing. The department shall adopt rules establishing a minimum measurable standard of transparency which shall apply to violations of this subsection.3. Every motor vehicle except a motorcycle, or a vehicle included in the provisions of section 321.383 or section 321.115 shall be equipped with a windshield in accordance with section

Under Iowa Administrative Code 761-450.1(321) safety glazing materials or multiple glazed assemblies thereof intended for use at levels requisite for driving visibility in the motor vehicle shall show regular (parallel) luminous transmittance of not less than 70 percent of the light at normal incidence, both before and after irradiation.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:22 PM

576 posts, read 831,210 times
From what a tint shop told me in Cedar Rapids, when I lived there, the law says no less than 70% light transmittance in the front door windows, no more than factory tint on the windshield, and no restrictions in the back door (or quarter windows) and rear window.

Enforcement varies by jurisdiction, in any event, anything darker than the above always provides a reason for an officer to pull you over if he suspects something else. Cedar Rapids tended not to worry so much about it, but Marion was real strict on it, so best just to abide by the law.

Thank you for your service from someone who still stands for the National Anthem!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa