U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 08:39 PM

6,503 posts, read 4,008,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Because it's no longer kept in the privacy of the bedroom. When it was made a public matter (pride parades and festivals, for example), it became subject to discourse.

I have never seen people having sex at a gay pride parade or festival. I do know of instances of straight people having sex on the beach in Miami on spring break, though. Or straight people from one of my old jobs, having sex behind the dumpster at night. But all those gay folks with rainbow gear on at the pride parade? Totally inappropriate!

I will say, as a gay man, there are SOME pride parades that go too far (like Toronto's) but most are thankfully VERY tame. Go to one for once and see. And going with a dumb hateful sign doesn't count.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 07:38 AM

27,966 posts, read 26,635,557 times
I don't think that's what he meant.

Old 09-07-2018, 08:09 AM

4,200 posts, read 3,335,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinglearjet View Post
I would expect that most homicides, of all types, do not take place in small towns for the same reasons that Texas has more homicides than Delaware.

You mean our 1254 mile border with a third world narco-state?

I know, I know - you were referring to the difference in population, which is a valid point. I just wanted to point out that there are other major factors that contribute to our homicide rate that Delaware does not share.

Old 09-07-2018, 05:28 PM

405 posts, read 156,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
We don't have Hetersexual Pride parades. We don't go around being defined by our sexuality. If some strange person came up and started talking to me about my husband I would move off too. Its about minding your own business. Gay people would do better to be discrete and mind their own business. Most people really don't want to hear about who they sleep with.

Oh, stop it. Of course you go around defining yourself by your sexuality. You can't look in any direction without seeing a reference to your sexuality. You can't pick up a magazine, drive by a billboard or turn on a TV without a half naked woman acting seductively or making sexual references. It doesn't bother me at all that you don't shut up about your spouses and children or relationships. None of it bothers me, but for God's sake explain WHY someone acting or speaking the only way they know how is somehow 'flaunting' and bothers you so much. Actually, don't - the interest was rhetorical. I've heard it all since I was old enough to hear. There is nothing you can add as to why you are so disturbed.

Old 09-07-2018, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Because it's no longer kept in the privacy of the bedroom. When it was made a public matter (pride parades and festivals, for example), it became subject to discourse.

So, you're forced to go to parades and festivals? How does THAT happen? I don't like rodeos, so, guess what? I don't go. You're honestly bothered by a parade that's going on hundreds of miles from you? Amazing!

Old 09-08-2018, 01:16 AM

27,966 posts, read 26,635,557 times
If you're from or live in Iowa, then the OP shouldn't move there. Where's Rod Serling when you need him? Oh, right.

Old 09-08-2018, 02:10 PM

39,658 posts, read 48,977,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuff80 View Post
Reading this thread, I hope OP picked another place.

I just chuckled. Welcome to open-minded Iowa. Be who you are.....just don't talk about it.
This is true of anywhere I think. People respect other’s way of life, even if it is different from theirs...just don’t make me march in the parade.

Old 09-08-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
just don’t make me march in the parade.

Has anyone in history ever been 'made' to march in a parade?

Old 09-09-2018, 08:44 AM

8,186 posts, read 9,886,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso Gil View Post
A more general problem with small towns is that some people (this is coming from personal experience) feel that because they are in a small town, or they came from a small town, that they are entitled to know EVERYTHING about you. The fact that they are not beating you over the head about it is not the problem. The problem is that they are intrusive, by asking you personal questions and "sharing" with you WAYYYY too much about their own personal lives and the personal lives (and their problems) of other people they know.

I find it VERY annoying. I had to quit a job I had in Montrose CO because this woman from a small town in that part of the country could not shut her trap and was always trying to "help" me by suggesting this, and that, on things in my personal life that were none of her business whatsoever, and then talking about me behind my back. In her small-minded (small town) mind, it's perfectly normal. It's as if a small town is one big family, so your business is my business and vice versa.

So, if you are from a big city and move to a small town, it doesn't matter if you're gay or straight. Be prepared for a bunch of personal inquiries that will make you want to tear your hair out. Unless that is what you want, then you'll love it. Join in the fun and intrude into your neighbor's personal life almost like you're married to them. Ughhhh....
This sums up why small town living sucks.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:34 PM

636 posts, read 250,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
This is true of anywhere I think. People respect other’s way of life, even if it is different from theirs...just don’t make me march in the parade.
What a joke. You've been forced to march in parade? So many gay pride parades compared to all the "straight" parades on the 4th of July, etc.

You can be close-minded. It's okay. Just know it, own it, and be proud of it. Don't pretend you're accepting or aware of the bias you carry.

Sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or