Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 11:52 PM

127 posts, read 208,934 times

Advertisements

Thinking about moving there. Anyone have any information about Marcus Iowa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 11:20 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,918,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junie136 View Post
Thinking about moving there. Anyone have any information about Marcus Iowa?

Can't speak for the town. It's quite small. The school is consolidated with the small towns of Cleghorn and Meriden (M-M-C School District) and is headquartered in Marcus.

It's pretty much evenly located and relatively close to 2 nice size, pretty clean larger towns in Le Mars and Cherokee.

It's an area that has a pretty strong Catholic religion presence as Le Mars and nearby Remsen have K-12 Catholic schools.

Not much info, but that's the extent of my connections there.

Old 01-12-2018, 11:53 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
I just want to know why someone from California would pick Marcus of all places.

Old 01-12-2018, 02:32 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,918,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I just want to know why someone from California would pick Marcus of all places.

You just never know where that dart hits on the target map. Eddie Murphy came from Africa and ended up in Queens, NY after all.

Probably heard there were no wild fires or mudslides in Marcus.

Old 01-14-2018, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Can't speak for the town. It's quite small. The school is consolidated with the small towns of Cleghorn and Meriden (M-M-C School District) and is headquartered in Marcus.

It's pretty much evenly located and relatively close to 2 nice size, pretty clean larger towns in Le Mars and Cherokee.

It's an area that has a pretty strong Catholic religion presence as Le Mars and nearby Remsen have K-12 Catholic schools.

Thank you! That is helpful!

Old 01-14-2018, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post

Thanks for your info. What is the law enforcement in Marcus? I was looking into that and can't seem to find out who the police/sheriff agency is? Does it use 911?

Old 01-14-2018, 02:11 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Marcus has a police department and they use 911. This information is on the city's official website which is the first thing that comes up when you type "marcus iowa" in google.

Old 01-14-2018, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Marcus has a police department and they use 911. This information is on the city's official website which is the first thing that comes up when you type "marcus iowa" in google.
Well I'm seeing info about the fire department, but nothing about "911" or even police. Can you help me out where on the site you see this?

Old 01-14-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
To respond to your post above - Why NOT Marcus? It's small, quiet (I think), albeit cold right? Lower cost of living, demographics. Appreciate all your input!

Old 01-15-2018, 08:54 AM

655 posts, read 1,127,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junie136 View Post
To respond to your post above - Why NOT Marcus? It's small, quiet (I think), albeit cold right? Lower cost of living, demographics. Appreciate all your input!

Because that describes hundreds of towns in Iowa, not to mention the Midwest. I think the question was why THAT small town in Iowa? Is there something in particular that drew you to Marcus? It just seems unusual for someone to pick one rural town instead of a region....especially coming from California. It's curious, that's all.

Yes, it is cold in the winter. The temps start heading downward to the coldest starting in November and stay there for the most part until end of March/beginning of April. There might be a few warm days thrown in there, but it is mostly cold. So coming from California you will need to be prepared for that. Unfortunately, I don't have any specifics on Marcus itself but I have found that most small towns in Iowa are nice and have good people. You just have to be prepared to live among a small group of people and not have all the amenities of a large town within walking distance.

Good luck with your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa