Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2018, 04:20 PM

2 posts, read 2,410 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Cedar Rapids for a job close to Kirkwood Community College. I have heard that there is quite a college crowd to avoid in that area, and I've also heard there might be funky smells in that part of town? However, I do want to live close to my workplace... I'm looking for a 2 bedroom place preferably with a garage, and I'm flexible on the price. Anybody have any apartment/condo/townhouse recommendations? I'm currently looking at Wheatland Club Apartments by High Property Management.

I have never been to Iowa and won't be able to do apartment hunting before I move. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance

Last edited by koalakookie; 02-28-2018 at 04:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 06:51 AM

22 posts, read 21,175 times
Hello! I am familiar with the area. You don't want to live on Kirkwood Blvd. - that is mostly student housing and some can be slummy imho. If you want to live close to that area, look in the SW quadrant of CR. Yes the High Property condos off of C street are VERY close to Kirkwood. But there not much else around - you'll have to drive for major food places, entertainment, etc. There is a bike path there if you like biking.

Where you coming from (vaguely speaking, if you like)?

Good luck!!

Old 03-15-2018, 08:25 AM

2 posts, read 2,410 times
Would you say the High Property condos are SO close to Kirkwood that it is part of the "mostly student housing and slummy" category? Could you give some recommended apartments in that SW quadrant that you mentioned? I'm coming from Florida Thanks again!

Old 03-15-2018, 08:39 AM

22 posts, read 21,175 times
Re: the High Property condos: you will be close to the other side of the campus so it is definitely not part of the aforementioned student housing area. There may be some students living there, but because they are condos you won't have the same issues as the apartments on Kirkwood Blvd. There is also lots of new home growth on C Ave, so families are moving there too. Still lots of corn fields. That is a safe area, I would say.

Hmm.. I have an idea of where you may be working since there are few big employers near Kirkwood so those condos would be nice for proximity to work. Can't walk tho IMHO. That area (and most of CR) is not very pedestrian friendly. The smell will come from being downwind from the ethanol plant nearly. It IS BAD; I don't care what other people say. I don't live on that side of town anymore, partly for that reason. Ah... you are coming from a warm and friendly state. Maybe a big city? I'd be happy to talk more offline about topics related to that sort of transition if you're interested. PM me.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:09 AM

2,019 posts, read 3,194,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koalakookie View Post
I am moving to Cedar Rapids for a job close to Kirkwood Community College. I have heard that there is quite a college crowd to avoid in that area, and I've also heard there might be funky smells in that part of town? However, I do want to live close to my workplace... I'm looking for a 2 bedroom place preferably with a garage, and I'm flexible on the price. Anybody have any apartment/condo/townhouse recommendations? I'm currently looking at Wheatland Club Apartments by High Property Management.

I have never been to Iowa and won't be able to do apartment hunting before I move. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance

I can't help you with apartments, but I will say that traffic in Cedar Rapids is not bad at all if that is your concern. Good luck and welcome to CR!

Old 05-11-2018, 12:26 AM

6 posts, read 5,438 times
thanls for this info,guys

Old 05-15-2018, 08:57 AM

16 posts, read 22,647 times
Why would anyone move to a backwater dump like Cedar Rapids IA?

LAndlords here are the worst in the US, and I've lived in 9 states, and rented in 6 more. Moving here was one of the dumbest things I've ever done.

And the rest of the businesses in the dump aren't much better, just some overpriced Iowa idiots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
View detailed profiles of: