U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2018, 09:54 PM

448 posts, read 458,436 times

Advertisements

I noticed that houses are very cheap in this area and for some reason Ive always been interested in Iowa. Is anyone familiar with a tiny town called Coin,Iowa? i want a small town and im also interested in the bigger surrounding towns around Coin like Shenendoah, Red Oak and Clarinda.
Can anyone give me any info on these towns? What is life like in these towns and jobs etc?
Coin has no school so where do kids go to school?
thanks for any info.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 08:30 AM

9,270 posts, read 18,266,878 times
Coin is part of the South Page district which is located in College Springs.

That's all I know, it's on the opposite side of the state from me.

Old 03-23-2018, 10:08 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,273,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbidy View Post
I noticed that houses are very cheap in this area and for some reason Ive always been interested in Iowa. Is anyone familiar with a tiny town called Coin,Iowa? i want a small town and im also interested in the bigger surrounding towns around Coin like Shenendoah, Red Oak and Clarinda.
Can anyone give me any info on these towns? What is life like in these towns and jobs etc?
Coin has no school so where do kids go to school?
thanks for any info.

My son was a teacher in the Shenandoah area for a couple years. South Page School is in College Springs and includes the town of Coin. It's a very small school that co-ops a lot for it's sports with neighboring schools because their enrollment is so small. They even share their Superintendent and Business Manager with other schools.

This part of Iowa has been hit economically pretty bad over the years. Quite a few large employers have closed or cut back dramatically in their work force. A dwindling population makes for some pretty good buys for housing.

I personally like the town of Shenandoah. It has a very nice business district. Of the towns you mentioned, the one that seems to have real issues when it comes to crime is Red Oak. What I've heard from my son is it really has a pretty bad drug problem. There's a very good radio station in Shenandoah called KMA. They're more up to date with the news and sports of SW Iowa than the newspapers. Follow their website and this will give you a pretty good idea of all the current news, good and bad, for the region.

Here's the KMA website: http://www.kmaland.com/

Old 03-25-2018, 10:47 PM

Thanks that was good info!

Old 03-28-2018, 10:23 PM

one more question....... What are winters iike and how is it getting from Coin to other towns in the winter time?

Old 03-29-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbidy View Post
one more question....... What are winters iike and how is it getting from Coin to other towns in the winter time?
Flip a coin. This past winter was reasonably mild, others not so much. This one started late, the weather stayed nice until right before Christmas, but it's still hanging on here in the last week of March. We had a number of days in the 50s in February.

In general, though, winters aren't bad here in the southern tier. We'll have some days of extremely low temperatures, but not for long stretches at a time. We get some snow, but usually not the big snowfalls that they get farther north. Freezing rain is the worst, if you end up driving to Shenandoah or someplace for work you might have a couple of days over the course of the winter where you can't make it in.

Again, not living in that specific part of the state I can't comment on how efficient the county highway department and DOT are at getting the roads cleared during a winter weather event.

My biggest complaint about winters in Iowa is the number of days without sunshine.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:24 AM

1,696 posts, read 2,451,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post

My biggest complaint about winters in Iowa is the number of days without sunshine.

I don't think winter is so bad in Iowa as far as the number of cloudy days. It seems the sun comes out every few days. I spent quite a bit of time in Seattle and the surrounding area in my youth during the summer and now that is depressing, day after day with clouds and rain. As a California native, I couldn't wait to get back to California in those days. Iowa just doesn't seem that bad to me.

Old 03-29-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennaf View Post
I don't think winter is so bad in Iowa as far as the number of cloudy days. It seems the sun comes out every few days. I spent quite a bit of time in Seattle and the surrounding area in my youth during the summer and now that is depressing, day after day with clouds and rain. As a California native, I couldn't wait to get back to California in those days. Iowa just doesn't seem that bad to me.
Oh, it's certainly not the worst. But it's not the best, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa