U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 11:16 PM

129 posts, read 81,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
The population is considerably lower in Iowa than in Virginia and other states being discussed.

If you expect the roads to be as good in a low population state as those in a high population state, taxation will have to be higher on the smaller population.

If you expect the police to be as good in a low population state as those in a high population state, taxation will have to be higher on the smaller population.

If you expect your water supply to be as good in a low population state as those in a high population state, taxation will have to be higher on the smaller population.

If you don't mind living in an overpopulated area, go live there.

Sorry to hear about recent tax cuts harming Iowa's schools.

Ya gets what ya pays for.
Water from Redfield was unreasonably high and of very low quality. Sometimes it was brown or yellow when they flushed the tanks, other times it smelled bad or was abnormally cloudy. So you don't always get what you pay for. Maybe you mean if you live in a state that subsidizes farms that poison your water expect to pay disproportionately to subsidize farmers, you would be right.

The water in Iowa is almost so bad it should be illegal to sell it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2018, 07:10 AM

3,792 posts, read 5,135,432 times
High taxes is a relative term. If you compare Iowa to Minnesota (land of 10,000 taxes), Nebraska, New York, etc. it's a veritable tax haven. Next to South Dakota, Alaska, and Wyoming overall taxation by comparison in Iowa, looks very high. In most instances I believe Iowa balances pretty well their taxes with all the benefits from the taxation. Education is solid, roads are good, public services by and large are efficient, and crime is managed pretty well. A better bang for the buck in overall use of tax dollars than you'll find in most states.

Overall water quality can't be used against the state as this ranges greatly from community to community. In some areas the well water is just plain bad and it was bad way before any farming was done. That said, the state does need to stay on top of any farming practices that has the potential to hurt our drinking water. On that, I'm unsure of how Iowa does.

I have noticed though that Des Moines area's property taxes are really high compared to what I've heard from the rest of the state. Curious.

Last edited by jmgg; 06-16-2018 at 07:19 AM..

Old 06-16-2018, 09:56 AM

1,671 posts, read 2,397,773 times
I have no problem drinking tap water where I live in Cedar Rapids, or in Iowa City. Tastes just fine to me though I’ll use the Brita water pitcher most of the time at home.

Taxes are high compared to some states but I feel I get a lot. My home is in the low 100,000’s, 1350 sq ft, attached garage, 3 bedrooms/2 baths, 30 years old, and property taxes are right at $2000/year, but I live in a beautiful hilly wooded area with very good infrastructure, 7 minutes from downtown with all the amenities I need. My relatives from Southern California are floored when they visit. You can’t find a house in my hometown for less than a half-million dollars for a 55-year-old fixer upper.

I’m seeing my taxes at work all around Cedar Rapids especially with roads and building re-development. Lots of construction work the past couple years.

Old 06-16-2018, 11:32 AM

555 posts, read 350,066 times
I generally lean fiscally conservative on many things, and that part of me thinks that tax money could be used more efficiently in some areas. However, the quality education that the higher taxes allow for, the fact that rural kids in Iowa also get a solid education, the strength of the infrastructure, and other services compared to low-tax states are very attractive. I don't necessarily want lower taxes in exchange for reduction in services -- I just think it's important that monies be spent in the most effective way possible, and that the answer to maintaining services is not *always* just to raise taxes (understanding that sometimes it is necessary).

I previously lived in a state with much lower property taxes but with a strong imbalance in education levels, and a lot of struggles with infrastructure. All of this made worse by high growth. The contrast in education between wealthy and poor, rural and urban, was particularly difficult to digest. I am thrilled this is not prevalent in Iowa - we're all better off because of it.

Also, this is going to sound terrible, but high taxes, along with the cold weather, tend to keep Iowa from becoming a retirement destination... And that is perfectly fine with me. Retirees flocking to one area add strains on infrastructure and contribute heavily to a service economy.

Old 06-17-2018, 02:53 PM

215 posts, read 204,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedLife View Post
Also, this is going to sound terrible, but high taxes, along with the cold weather, tend to keep Iowa from becoming a retirement destination... And that is perfectly fine with me. Retirees flocking to one area add strains on infrastructure and contribute heavily to a service economy.

Okay, just for that, I'm not moving south!

Old 06-17-2018, 05:41 PM

49 posts, read 34,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkl07 View Post
Parts of Iowa are nice, but the midwest is dead. Job after job, company after company has left.
Ummmm facts and reality say otherwise. The Midwest has one of the lowest unemployment rates of any region in the country. Lower than the South. Housing is more affordable here and wages are higher too.

Old 06-23-2018, 05:27 AM

449 posts, read 1,268,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesspiggies View Post
Iowa's a little different. Iowa law limits the per-pupil amount that can be spent on schools. As a result, schools are generally decent, but there are few "really bad" or "really good" schools. Other states do not limit per-pupil spending. They tend to have a much wider disparity in schools. The "really good" schools are truly outstanding. The "really bad" schools are heartbreaking.

I know taxes pay for stuff, but our property tax bill in Iowa is more than double what it would be in Virginia for a similarly assessed house. The schools, roads, fire, police are/were comparable. I guess I'm paying for bike paths?
As someone from Virginia now living in Iowa I totally agree. Property taxes in Virginia are a lot less than Iowa. Schools are about the same. The roads are way better in VA than Iowa. Quality of life is identical. As to bike paths northern Virginia has the W&OD trail. Not sure what other paths exist in VA but I would imagine it is on par with Iowa.

Old 06-23-2018, 05:35 AM

449 posts, read 1,268,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ION1010 View Post
Iowa lowered property tax rates for businesses. That mainly affects local governments, municipalities and counties, as they get their funding from property taxes. The legislature is reneging on the 'backfill' they promised, leaving locals hung out to flap in the wind. Services are being cut (this includes schools) and more is on the way.

Many people don't look carefully at their tax bill. If they did they'd see "TIFF servicing" as a top expense. Gotta compete with the other cities, you know.

However, taxes are nowhere near as high as across the Missouri river. Douglas County, NE (Omaha) has outrageous taxes, well over $4500 for a medium sized house and yard. We'd considered retiring to Omaha until the cousins set us straight.
Yes, Nebraska has some very high taxes too. Could be worse, you could cross the Mississippi and enjoy paying some of the highest taxes of any state in that well oiled machine called Illinois.

Old 06-24-2018, 06:05 AM

7 posts, read 8,521 times
I’m looking at a job in Iowa City so this thread on taxes caught my eye as I am from out of state.
I’ve done a little research on real estate in that particular
area of Iowa and what I’ve found doesn’t seem to align with many of the
comments here. Specifically, the highest rated public high school around
Iowa City I found was in Solon and it was only a 6.
I know Great Schools is not the final arbiter on which schools provide the best education
but I have to assume their evaluations are at least fairly accurate.

Old 06-24-2018, 09:11 AM

5,105 posts, read 6,798,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paleopanda View Post
I’m looking at a job in Iowa City so this thread on taxes caught my eye as I am from out of state.
At a quick glance, Wickham Elementary in Coralville is an 8.

In general, find out where the faculty of University of Iowa sends their offspring and do the same. I generally don't pay that much attention to rankings: they can be "paid for."

If you were looking in Des Moines, I'd advise you to live where they can go to school in West Des Moines or Ankeny, followed by Clive or parts of Urbandale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or