Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 02:22 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,349,631 times

Advertisements

My wife and I looked into this very seriously about a year ago and decided not to move forward because we felt the 24/7 market was already getting oversaturated (at least in the DSM Metro). One thing that many here don't seem to realize, is that the full service gyms aren't really your competition. It is reallly the other 24/7 gyms you need to worry about.

If you go to Anytime Fitness website , you'll see someone has already secured the downtown DSM territory and you'll see that the rest of DSM and for that matter any other decent sized city in Iowa. The next big player in this industry is Snap Fitness. They have a new gym on Fleur Dr and they also are doted all through the metro and in most decent sized cities. Add on top of that, there are several other outfits now putting these types of gyms in place too.

I wish you luck, but you're going to need to look at each market and see who's there already and the figure out whether or not you can offer something they don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 04:14 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,260,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpHawkeye View Post
Do you think the Drake kids would go for a 24hr gym? I didn't know about the gym on Grand Ave. In my experience, Aspens are usually fairly expensive.

I imagine that most Drake students have access to campus facilities, so I doubt many college students would spend the extra money for a 24 hour gym.

I had an Aspen membership for about six months and I didn't really like it. It wasn't that bad or anything, but it didn't have the best clientele. I go to the Southside Y and I like it a lot better than Aspen. Aspen has more gimmicky machines (and thus a more gimmicky machine customer base), but that's about it.

Old 04-05-2008, 05:50 PM

415 posts, read 1,739,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
Perhaps the Quad Cities?
It seems like there's been an explosion of new gyms, and specifically 24 hour gyms in the QC this past year. A second 24 hour gym is opening soon in downtown Davenport, so we may be getting a bit saturated.

Old 04-05-2008, 06:39 PM

2,072 posts, read 5,416,303 times
I agree with everyone - all of the bigger cities in Iowa are saturated with 24 hr gyms. Maybe North Liberty needs one though.

Old 04-06-2008, 02:57 PM

7 posts, read 24,001 times
some where in henry county would be good, like winfield, we only have some half small building womens place,

Old 04-07-2008, 11:58 AM

3 posts, read 23,241 times
Default re a 24 hour gym

I live in Fairfield and someone recently put in a 24 hour gym here. You may want to check with them to see how well the 24 hour thing works. It seems to do ok but we are a smaller community.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,770 times
I have been wanting a gym to go to that is half way close to my home. There is NO gym close to my home and convenient. THe closest gym is the YMCA downtown. While a good facility, it is not convenient for me. By the time I drive there, park, get changed, and drive home, I have easily an hour or more used up. This does not include work out time. I live on the North Central/North East side of Des Moines, and there is nothing in this area what so ever. I don't want to drive to the center of Ankeny, and the nearest club on the West side of Des Moines is on Merle Hay Road. I used to work out at 24 hour fitness when I was working in Oregon, and they were so convenient. Des Moines can certainly use a gym like this on near E14th and Euclid.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:20 PM

25 posts, read 118,091 times
About one in the Drake area of Des Moines..... this is just me but I wouldn't be out anywhere in that area after dark. I would also be concerned about vandalism in that area after dark. I just don't think it would be the safest area to consider.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:43 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,349,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iaborn42 View Post
About one in the Drake area of Des Moines..... this is just me but I wouldn't be out anywhere in that area after dark. I would also be concerned about vandalism in that area after dark. I just don't think it would be the safest area to consider.
Yes...it just you. "Drake area" is to vague as there are plenty of safe places, but yes, there are some bad areas too. It is not fair to lump the "Drake area" into one big stereotype.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:45 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,755,076 times
That area has never been known as a safe area. You get a chance to prove your superior DSM knowledge because there was some improvement around there a few years ago, and you feel proud to present that.

You may actually reward crime though, after all, most big cities do have lots of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa