Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 03:33 PM

3 posts, read 11,479 times

Advertisements

My son & I are trying to narrow list of where to put in a 24 hr gym. any ideas welcome thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 08:20 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,579,908 times
Iowa City, Ames, whatever town UNI is in. Des Moines area, Cedar Rapids.

I would think a bigger city, with many young people. I wouldn't think many 70 year old's would go work out at midnight.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:27 PM

2,072 posts, read 5,414,983 times
I don't know ... with the 'Anytime Fitness' chain out there ... competition might be tough. (There's even one in Keokuk.)

UNI is in Cedar Falls, and I know of at least 4 in the area. Des Moines has a ton of 24 hr gyms it seems like, same with Cedar Rapids and I'm sure IA City.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:34 PM

518 posts, read 2,531,329 times
maybe look into oskaloosa. there are a few colleges there, and i believe the ymca is the only workout facility in town.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:20 AM

328 posts, read 473,361 times
have you thought about the Dubuque area?

Old 04-04-2008, 07:24 AM

681 posts, read 3,035,256 times
A few places you might want to think about are near downtown Des Moines and the suburbs.

Downtown Des Moines is growing like crazy with wealthy condo owners and young people, both of whom might be needing another gym option besides the grotty downtown Y. They might also appreciate the 24 hour option. If downtown/East Village is a little to pricey for you, you could consider the area by Drake University/Sherman Hill.

You might also want to look at the suburbs, specifically the outer suburbs like Waukee, Grimes and Adel. My suspicion is that perhaps they've grown by so much lately that business really hasn't caught up to the demand yet.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:23 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,184,687 times
Iowa City might be rough as far as adding a new gym. There are 30,000 college students, but doing a quick search, there are already over a dozen gyms around town, and at least 4 of them are open 24 hours as of now...

Old 04-05-2008, 10:29 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,440,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj58 View Post
My son & I are trying to narrow list of where to put in a 24 hr gym. any ideas welcome thanks in advance.
Perhaps the Quad Cities?

Old 04-05-2008, 01:57 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,258,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpHawkeye View Post

Downtown Des Moines is growing like crazy with wealthy condo owners and young people, both of whom might be needing another gym option besides the grotty downtown Y. They might also appreciate the 24 hour option. If downtown/East Village is a little to pricey for you, you could consider the area by Drake University/Sherman Hill.

There's a gym on the street level on Grand Avenue, around 7th Street. It has some stupid name like "gym FX" or something. I've never been inside, but when I used to drive by it in the morning I would see people in there working out, as you've got a pretty good view in from the street. It appears to be a modern facility but I've never been inside it. I see free weights in there, but I imagine it's more centered around a few silly machines for the ease of us for obese office workers.

Des Moines is pretty well covered between the YMCAs, a couple Aspen locations and a few places like Des Moines Strength Institute (for the serious weightlifters. They used to have tobacco spittoons everywhere and everything was covered in chalk - which is a good sign).

Maybe a place like Adel, Winterset or Van Meter could use a gym?

Old 04-05-2008, 02:09 PM

681 posts, read 3,035,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
There's a gym on the street level on Grand Avenue, around 7th Street. It has some stupid name like "gym FX" or something. I've never been inside, but when I used to drive by it in the morning I would see people in there working out, as you've got a pretty good view in from the street. It appears to be a modern facility but I've never been inside it. I see free weights in there, but I imagine it's more centered around a few silly machines for the ease of us for obese office workers.

Des Moines is pretty well covered between the YMCAs, a couple Aspen locations and a few places like Des Moines Strength Institute (for the serious weightlifters. They used to have tobacco spittoons everywhere and everything was covered in chalk - which is a good sign).

Maybe a place like Adel, Winterset or Van Meter could use a gym?
Do you think the Drake kids would go for a 24hr gym? I didn't know about the gym on Grand Ave. In my experience, Aspens are usually fairly expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa