U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2018, 11:59 AM

139 posts, read 218,933 times

Advertisements

My apologies if this thread has been done before, but I am looking for advice on picking between two different job opportunities in Iowa, one in Iowa City and the other in suburban Des Moines. If I choose the Des Moines area job, I will probably try to live near Downtown Des Moines. I went to graduate school at Iowa, so I am pretty familiar with Iowa City.

My question for the forum is, for people who have lived in both, is there one place you preferred over the other? If so, why? I have lived in cities as large as Chicago and in towns as small as 5K people. I'll be relocating from Central Illinois. I am not too worried about housing cost or cost of living. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2018, 01:45 PM

5,105 posts, read 6,637,967 times
I think it depends on your age and what you like to do in your free time.

If you are under 30 and like the college scene -- or -- if you want to be closer to Chicago, then pick Iowa City.

If you are over 30, don't really enjoy the college scene (and traffic on football Saturdays!) and don't spend a lot of time in Chicago, pick Des Moines. There's a lot to do here on the weekends in the way of festivals and trade shows, but in my experience, many unmarried 20-somethings find these things boring and long for more concerts and trendy bars.

Best bet: come for a long weekend and hang out.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:11 AM

130 posts, read 319,508 times
If you like Iowa athletic events live in Iowa City. If you don't care live in Des Moines. DSM will give you more opportunities, more people, more housing options, etc than Iowa City with a very similar culture. I would pick DSM 10/10 times.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:52 AM

1,196 posts, read 1,576,836 times
Both are perfectly fine places. Coincidentally (or maybe not), they're also the two fastest-growing metros in the state. Des Moines being approximately 4 times larger than Iowa City, of course will have more employment opportunities and activities. Iowa City always has, and always will revolve around the U of I. Iowa City is about 25 miles from Cedar Rapids (which is about twice as large as IC) and maybe four hours from Chicago, so it may have a slight edge as far as geography is concerned. It's also more expensive than DSM.

I'm in my mid-30s so I think Des Moines would be the better option for me personally (If I could I'd probably put my daughter in the Ankeny or Johnston school systems) but should anything happen to her I would definitely want her taken care of at the U of I Children's Hospital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or