U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2018, 08:31 AM

10 posts, read 7,609 times

Advertisements

Needing some honest insight about Waterloo, as I 'm searching for a new, mid-size ciity. I' ve lived in Iowa twice before, and the state and people have always treated me well.

Due to a visual impairment, I cannot drive. One reason that Waterloo interests me is that most of the shopping/dining/entertainment options are concentrated in one area around Crossroads Mall. There are also apartments in the vicinity, thus making things quite convenient, even when busses aren't available.

I know most people immediately want to tell you to look in Cedar Falls instead, but the truth is the bus routes are very limited over there, and I feel it would distance me too far from other things I want/need.

All over Iowa, Waterloo has a bad reputation. Is it that awful? Will I be safe walking to a store or restaurant ? Is there a lot of random crime?

I would be arriving with one source of income, but would still need an additional part time job in retail, grocery, restaurants, hotels etc... Not needing anything high paying. And again, living in the SE part of Waterloo would put me in a prime location for these types of service jobs. Are there a lot of these types of jobs available? Do you see "Now Hiring" signs around?

I just need some honest insight if you think this would be a good fit for me. Thank you in advance for your time and help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 08:12 PM

5,105 posts, read 6,639,880 times
I would look into Ames, instead.

1. There are more people there with physical challenges, and you are less likely to be a target of crime.
2. The economy in Ames is better for part-time work.
3. There are buses and services like Uber.
4. If you live near downtown, you can walk to Fareway (grocery), the library, churches, and shops.
5. If you need help, you can hire nursing students.

Granted, Ames is a little more expensive, but I think you'll have a much better quality of life than in Waterloo.

Old 04-12-2019, 07:41 PM

130 posts, read 319,547 times
Here's the thing about Ames... You'd be competing with an endless supply of intelligent, able-bodied college students for even the most basic minimum wage job. In Waterloo the competition would be far less for the "better" minimum wage jobs.

I think you'd be more likely to be hit by a car than a random violent crime walking around the crossroads area. It is built for cars, not people.

Old 06-29-2019, 05:12 PM

9,729 posts, read 18,318,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer17 View Post
All over Iowa, Waterloo has a bad reputation. Is it that awful? Will I be safe walking to a store or restaurant? Is there a lot of random crime?
I don't think it's that bad. I had a girlfriend who lived there during the work week several years ago. She couldn't drive either but I think she had an aunt who regularly gave her rides. I spent a fair share of time in Waterloo, usually on Friday or Sunday nights, after she got off work on Fridays or before she went to work on Mondays. She actually lived in nearby smaller town on weekends where she owned a home. Her place of employment was in SE Waterloo. She liked working there.

Old 06-30-2019, 09:39 AM

5,105 posts, read 6,639,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiste13 View Post
Here's the thing about Ames... You'd be competing with an endless supply of intelligent, able-bodied college students for even the most basic minimum wage job. In Waterloo the competition would be far less for the "better" minimum wage jobs.
In Ames, Target, et. al, are always looking for decent workers. A lot of the college students think they are entitled to something better than retail, so the competition really isn't that bad.

I know several seniors who have moved to Ames over the last several months. They were all able to get part-time retail jobs within a week or two. Now, better-paying career positions are another animal entirely. But it's certainly possible to put two part-time jobs together and manage without a car if one lives on or near Duff Ave.

The city is also pretty good about keeping the sidewalks along Duff Ave. clear in the winter because there are a number of residents in power chairs or mobility scooters who live in the apartments in that area.

If I had to stay in Iowa and live without a car, that area would be my first choice. There's doctors, dentists, retail, groceries, the public library, and entertainment at the college, all within a small area, plus I-35 runs by the town, so it's easy to get a bus to other areas if travel is necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or