U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 06:18 AM

134 posts, read 191,831 times

Advertisements

Good morning!!

I am currently on terminal leave after serving 20 years in the Air Force (basically I am using the 90 days of vacation I built up), and my new job as of now is looking for my next 20 year career. I have been afforded a second phone interview with a company in Indianola, and from what I have been reading and hearing, Indianola is a pretty nice place it seems. My family and I currently live in Texas, however, I am from NW Iowa so the winter cold and Iowa scenery won't bother me. Honest opinions on Indianola and the surrounding area would be greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 08:21 AM

5,105 posts, read 6,648,759 times
It's a nice place! Plus you're about 25 minutes from the Des Moines metro area for shopping. Houses are quite affordable. If there was a large hospital nearby, I would retire there, but I need to be closer to hospitals and doctors.

Old 12-15-2018, 09:17 AM
Status: "Can athiests get insurance for Acts of God?" (set 2 days ago)

3,634 posts, read 5,023,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22crew View Post
Good morning!!

I am currently on terminal leave after serving 20 years in the Air Force (basically I am using the 90 days of vacation I built up), and my new job as of now is looking for my next 20 year career. I have been afforded a second phone interview with a company in Indianola, and from what I have been reading and hearing, Indianola is a pretty nice place it seems. My family and I currently live in Texas, however, I am from NW Iowa so the winter cold and Iowa scenery won't bother me. Honest opinions on Indianola and the surrounding area would be greatly appreciated!!

I have a daughter that's lived there for a couple years now. She loves it. It's a large enough community that everything you need is right there, minus the occasional big name concert or a AAA baseball game. No need to drive into Des Moines.

The community is very friendly and SAFE. There's a cute little private college, Simpson College, that's connected to the Methodist church. The campus is very nice. Downtown has a town square, much like many other Iowa towns, which is nice. Yet, most of the retail is out on the Hwy. 65/67 stretch.

My daughter commutes to Des Moines for work basically during the rush hour. A couple days a week she commutes into downtown Des Moines. Yet, to her surprise, the traffic coming in from the south isn't near as bad as she expected. It's 4 lane highway connections to almost every region around Des Moines. Traffic can be an issue around some parts of Des Moines depending on where you're at.

I think Indianola is kind of a diamond in the rough as to suburbs. You hear so much more about West Des Moines, Urbandale, Johnston, Waukee, and especially Ankeny as to places people discuss moving to. In Indianola, I think you're avoiding a little of the hype and growing pains that you'll get from these other more "popular" communities.

Old 12-15-2018, 09:55 AM

Thank you for the advice!! I have been interviewing with a company called Cemen Tech in Indianola, and they seem to be a great place to work. The traffic doesn't seem to bad, in my personal opinion you haven't seen bad traffic until you've been driving through DFW or the tunnels of Hampton Roads VA.....yuck on both. Looking for some acres around the area if the job goes through!!

Old 12-15-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the advice!! I have been interviewing with a company called Cemen Tech in Indianola, and they seem to be a great place to work. The traffic doesn't seem to bad, in my personal opinion you haven't seen bad traffic until you've been driving through DFW or the tunnels of Hampton Roads VA.....yuck on both. Looking for some acres around the area if the job goes through!!

Googled it to see what they do and their location. Nice part of town approx. 5 std. block lengths from my daughter's house. Fancier concrete trucks than I've ever seen around here. Worldwide dealer network.

Old 12-18-2018, 07:34 PM

2,998 posts, read 3,296,156 times
I like Indianola and have thought about moving there on occasion. It has all the basics, the people are friendly, has a nice bike trail that connects with Summerset Park and Carlisle, about 15 miles worth if you include McVay and the loop in Summerset Park. It has the hot air balloon festival later in July, which is fun to go balloon chasing in the countryside, on a warm summer evening. They also have a nice state park a few miles of town, Lake Ahquabi, good place for camping, swimming and fishing.

Now the down side, Warren county and Indianola have had comparatively low property taxes for decades, and have skimped on building a new court house for so long, the building was condemned and they have to build a new one. This will bump property taxes around 100 bucks more per house, not an incredible increase or anything, but there is another looming problem. It's a small but growing city, and they are about to outgrow the capacity of the water treatment plant. This means major bloodletting on the water bill, not far down the road. The water does not taste very good compared to Des Moines water either, having drank from their fountains a few times more than I wanted to, lol. How would you feel about getting a $200+ per month water bill? It's going to happen just like a lot of other towns that outgrew their water supply. Treatment plants are expensive and Indianola does not have a very large population to spread the costs. It's going to bite when it happens, if the town gains a few hundred more people, and it will, they will start having water shortages, rationing, then the ultimate result, a new water plant. Winterset, Grimes, many other growing bedroom communities had to go thru the same thing, I think Indy probably has to do this within the next 5 or 10 years.

Last edited by mofford; 12-18-2018 at 07:42 PM..

Old 12-20-2018, 02:43 PM

Mofford,

Thank you for the helpful advice!! I really perked up when I read about the bike trails. I got into riding 3 years ago when I moved to Wichita Falls TX and did the Hotter N' Hundred, 100 miles in August, in Texas....it can be brutal. The next year I did RAGBRAI, born n raised in Iowa and never even paid attention to RAGBRAI haha. Now I have done 3 Hotter N' Hells, and hopefully this summer will be my third RAGBRAI. As far as the water treatment plant goes, my wife and I plan on living out in the sticks, so it would be a well at that point. Overall, everything I have heard about Indianola has been great.

Thank you for all the great advice!!

Old 12-20-2018, 06:01 PM

2,998 posts, read 3,296,156 times
I think a Texas summer on the bike trail might fry me, 22crew. The perfect riding temperature for me is around 85 degrees, give or take 5 depending on the humidity. A dry 90 is kinda nice, or a humid 80 is OK too. The far western part of Warren county has Great Western bike trail, around 17 miles long with gentle grades, more shade and a little nicer experience than Summerset, on a hot summers day.

Warren County Conservation Board | Summerset Trail

Guess you plan on bottled water for drinking or cooking? The well water would probably not be safe for consumption. The NW part of the county down to Cumming is in West Des Moines water district, which is OK, and Norwalk area is on Des Moines water. When Indianola starts needing a a new treatment plant, don't expect the citizens to vote for it right away, they didn't exactly jump on the new courthouse project, which needed to be done 20 years ago, lol. They might start kicking people out of town to save water before they vote for a new treatment plant. Could get ugly. Just sayin' to people, don't move there to save a little on the cost of living, move there because it's a nice friendly town with good schools, bring your own water for drinking tho. Southern Iowa in general has a competition going for which water system can have the worst tasting water with the most service interruptions, see Creston last summer. SIRWA - Southern Iowa Rural Water Abomination.

Old 12-20-2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Mofford,

Thank you for the helpful advice!! I really perked up when I read about the bike trails. I got into riding 3 years ago when I moved to Wichita Falls TX and did the Hotter N' Hundred, 100 miles in August, in Texas....it can be brutal. The next year I did RAGBRAI, born n raised in Iowa and never even paid attention to RAGBRAI haha. Now I have done 3 Hotter N' Hells, and hopefully this summer will be my third RAGBRAI. As far as the water treatment plant goes, my wife and I plan on living out in the sticks, so it would be a well at that point. Overall, everything I have heard about Indianola has been great.

Thank you for all the great advice!!

Incidentally, the bike trail is only a couple blocks from my daughter's house. i.e., only a few blocks from your possible future employer.

Funny that you've already done RAGBRAI. About 2 years ago it started in Glenwood IA where my son lives. He had riders sleeping all over his house. Couches, chairs, beds, FLOORS. He had a lot of fun sponsoring them.

My son in law does it about every year (except last year due to kid's health issues at home).

Old 12-21-2018, 07:31 AM

Mofford,

Definitely sounds like there are some water issues, could be something I bring up in a future interview, if I get the third interview (fingers crossed).

Jmgg,

RAGBRAI definitely makes the world smaller, it's amazing the people you run into. Two years ago we camped next to a group from Michigan on day two who had been doing the ride for years. The rest of the week we camped next to each other, and last year we hauled all there and our equipment in our trailer. It's always a good time!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa