U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2019, 10:09 AM

134 posts, read 191,765 times

Advertisements

So the RAGBRAI route was announced last night, and up until three years ago I could have cared less. I grew up in Iowa and never really paid attention to it, joined the military and did military things haha. I got into cycling when I was stationed in Wichita Falls Texas and heard about the Hotter N' Hell Hundred, 100 miles in August in Texas.....I have done it three years now. Reason I'm posting this is that I am now on terminal leave/retiring from the Air Force and have accepted a job and bought a house in Indianola and it just happens to be on the route!!! I would love to do RAGBRAI this year (would be third yr in a row), but I am not sure I will be able to after starting a new job. I know the route was just announced, but if I cannot ride this year I would at least like to volunteer in Indianola as it is an overnight town, and a great chance to make a great impression to those riders, as well, a great way to show off your city!!! Thoughts, opinions, ideas on what Indianola may be doing come RAGBRAI? I know it's super early, but maybe some people are on here from when RAGBRAI came through in 2009.

Aaron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2019, 11:08 AM

3,626 posts, read 5,017,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22crew View Post
So the RAGBRAI route was announced last night, and up until three years ago I could have cared less. I grew up in Iowa and never really paid attention to it, joined the military and did military things haha. I got into cycling when I was stationed in Wichita Falls Texas and heard about the Hotter N' Hell Hundred, 100 miles in August in Texas.....I have done it three years now. Reason I'm posting this is that I am now on terminal leave/retiring from the Air Force and have accepted a job and bought a house in Indianola and it just happens to be on the route!!! I would love to do RAGBRAI this year (would be third yr in a row), but I am not sure I will be able to after starting a new job. I know the route was just announced, but if I cannot ride this year I would at least like to volunteer in Indianola as it is an overnight town, and a great chance to make a great impression to those riders, as well, a great way to show off your city!!! Thoughts, opinions, ideas on what Indianola may be doing come RAGBRAI? I know it's super early, but maybe some people are on here from when RAGBRAI came through in 2009.

Aaron

My guess is if you want to host riders is to contact the Indianola Chamber of Commerce. They may not have even thought this was going to happen a few days ago. I doubt that they've made nearly zero plans yet.

My son-in-law wanted to host some riders soon as he found out, but my daughter put the kibosh on that right away since they would have a 2 month old baby by then. Good call on her part as they will not be getting much sleep anyway and still attempting to go to work even without the craziness of RAGBRAI.

For general RAGBRAI questions this is the contacts;

Questions?
Contact us at info@ragbrai.com or call 515-284-8341

Old 01-27-2019, 11:33 AM

Jmgg,

I figured much wouldn't have been planned quite yet. We will be hosting the group I've ridden with the past two years, and possibly a high school classmate. I know that the overnight towns always have a good opportunity to make money for themselves, but also the local businesses/groups in town.

Aaron

Old 01-27-2019, 12:11 PM

3,626 posts, read 5,017,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22crew View Post
Jmgg,

I figured much wouldn't have been planned quite yet. We will be hosting the group I've ridden with the past two years, and possibly a high school classmate. I know that the overnight towns always have a good opportunity to make money for themselves, but also the local businesses/groups in town.

Aaron

You bet. It would be a big mistake not to take advantage of hosting this.

I'm pretty sure when the time comes, the town will have some really big attractions planned. One sure bet is there will be a big balloon thing going on.

This might be a golden opportunity for you to meet a lot of the locals. If you think that you'll have the time, you might want to volunteer to serve on the committee that will need to be formed to plan for this.

When I was in my 20's and early 30's I was musician (part time, weekends type bands) and played at the starting point of one of the very first RAGBRAI's which was in Hawarden Iowa (with this comment that gives away my age). At the largest nightclub in town which was called Hat City, you could barely walk in there, let alone dance. It was absolutely crazy and one hell of a lot of fun. At that time, I had no idea what this RAGBRAI thing was all about.

By today's standards, the crowd of riders in Hawarden was tiny at that time. I could not even imagine what it's like now.

Old 01-27-2019, 12:46 PM

Jmgg,

I would definitely like to get involved if possible. Being in the military, whenever I moved I usually knew someone at my new duty station. This is totally different this time, I know one person, and they live in St. Charles. Other than that we don't know anyone. We would love to take this opportunity to get to know some people in town as we will definitely be in Indianola until the kids graduate HS, four years at a minimum, and hopefully we enjoy it enough that we stay forever. My ultimate goal is to ride all of RAGBRAI again, if that is not possible I would like to at least be involved someway and meet new local people.

Aaron

Old 01-28-2019, 07:01 PM

16 posts, read 11,777 times
Rode a handful of years back when it was still mostly single digits and early teens. These days whenever it comes to town, I volunteer to help organize the events that get put on for the riders. It is a lot of fun talking with all the riders and pointing them in the right directions. I usually get in a few hours with one of several local groups that serve food during it as a fundraiser.

Old 03-29-2019, 06:01 PM
Status: "Sliding to retirement by the seat of my khakis...." (set 24 days ago)

1,497 posts, read 652,761 times
Love Iowa and Ragbrai. I always appreciate the hard work that goes into the event.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa