U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 11:17 AM

464 posts, read 268,945 times

Advertisements

Just curious. I just can't see Joni Ernst losing re-election in 2020, especially if Trump carries the state again. Kim Reynolds couldn't even get ousted in a Blue Wave year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 10:56 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,912,106 times
I really hope so.. I am hoping this recent redness is just a wave.

Old 01-31-2019, 12:45 PM

9,243 posts, read 17,629,648 times
Sometimes the quality of the candidate makes a difference. Fred Hubbell was a joke, a decent candidate could have easily defeated Reynolds but the Democrats chose not to run a decent candidate.

You do realize that the Democrats picked up two house seats in Iowa, right? Seems like if anything the state is turning more blue rather than more red.

Last edited by duster1979; 01-31-2019 at 01:25 PM..

Old 02-01-2019, 06:26 AM

1,304 posts, read 897,380 times
I don't care what color, I just want a centrist who is consistent. Our society making politics a team sport is a terrible idea.

Old 02-01-2019, 06:44 AM

9,243 posts, read 17,629,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post
I don't care what color, I just want a centrist who is consistent. Our society making politics a team sport is a terrible idea.
I agree 100%.

Old 02-01-2019, 11:44 AM

162 posts, read 279,120 times
I would still consider Iowa a purple state. Three out of four House districts voted for Democrats, and the only Republican district gave Reynolds the edge. And without going too off topic, the main reason King narrowly won was because his opponents main selling point was he was not King. That alone is not enough of a reason a person should be elected, no matter how bad their main opponent is.

Old 02-01-2019, 01:09 PM

1,196 posts, read 1,576,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayman29 View Post
I would still consider Iowa a purple state. Three out of four House districts voted for Democrats, and the only Republican district gave Reynolds the edge. And without going too off topic, the main reason King narrowly won was because his opponents main selling point was he was not King. That alone is not enough of a reason a person should be elected, no matter how bad their main opponent is.

The reality is, it's going to be extremely difficult for any Democrat or even a non-hardcore conservative Republican to win anything in western Iowa. Yes, King gets a lot of votes simply because he has the "R" next to his name on the ballot, but also a lot of his votes come from his diehards (and it's these nutjobs that keep him in office). There was a recent town hall meeting in Primghar where the crowd condemned Washington's actions against King, so it's safe to surmise that a lot of his voting base shares the same opinions and values as he does.

Randy Feenstra probably has little chance of unseating King in 2020 as he's not hardcore enough. It's more likely that King will leave Washington on his own accord. His outrageous comments aren't enough to give him the boot; it's going to probably take something along the lines of a sex scandal to do him in (and I certainly wouldn't put it past him). I'm sure he has some serious skeletons in his closet, but the people with the dirt are too afraid to go public.

Old 02-02-2019, 10:10 AM

5,105 posts, read 6,637,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Sometimes the quality of the candidate makes a difference. Fred Hubbell was a joke,
I agree! Unfortunately, some of the good, middle-of the-road thinkers with plenty of common sense won't touch politics with a ten-foot pole, so we get candidates like Hubbell and others I won't mention.

We badly need some of the business owners I know to put their distaste aside and serve for a little while, at least long enough to solve some of our more pressing problems and get some policies in place so that we're not overrun with homeless people, trying to survive outside in -9 degree weather.

Old 02-02-2019, 12:06 PM

3,611 posts, read 5,013,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
The reality is, it's going to be extremely difficult for any Democrat or even a non-hardcore conservative Republican to win anything in western Iowa. Yes, King gets a lot of votes simply because he has the "R" next to his name on the ballot, but also a lot of his votes come from his diehards (and it's these nutjobs that keep him in office). There was a recent town hall meeting in Primghar where the crowd condemned Washington's actions against King, so it's safe to surmise that a lot of his voting base shares the same opinions and values as he does.

Randy Feenstra probably has little chance of unseating King in 2020 as he's not hardcore enough. It's more likely that King will leave Washington on his own accord. His outrageous comments aren't enough to give him the boot; it's going to probably take something along the lines of a sex scandal to do him in (and I certainly wouldn't put it past him). I'm sure he has some serious skeletons in his closet, but the people with the dirt are too afraid to go public.
I actually foresee Iowa leaning more red than blue in the near future because of the nut-jobs that have permeated the Democratic Party over the last decade. Iowa people in general are much more well informed about what's going on in our country than you'll find in many other geographic areas.

Democrats with some conservative leanings (aka blue dogs) have all but been railroaded out of the party nationwide. In Iowa and some of it's neighboring states, most ultra-radical rhetoric from Democrat politicians is still at a minimum. This is whether it be for pure political purposes as a few of them just try to blend with their constituents or for most of them it's that the far left craziness isn't what they really believe in. They lean towards old Democratic platforms, but not the over the top beliefs.

I see many Democrats in the state voting for Republicans unless the national Democratic "leaders" start toning down many of their absurd ideas.

Old 02-02-2019, 04:34 PM

8 posts, read 6,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
unless the national Democratic "leaders" start toning down many of their absurd ideas.
And on that note, if the Republican party would throw the crazy christian wing overboard and never look back, I would come back in a heartbeat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or