Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 08:43 PM

1,351 posts, read 894,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
Decorah area is nice too.
I consider Decorah part of that area. Just isn't as close to the water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2019, 08:00 AM

77 posts, read 135,336 times
Personally, I think there are much cheaper ways to solve your problem. Buy an RV and rent a storage place for your stuff that you absolutely need. Ditch the rest. Then you aren't tied down to one place geographically and you don't have all the "joys" of maintaining a home and associated lawn in the summer time or pay property taxes to fund infrastructure you won't use, etc. Drive the RV around and rent places for it in RV parks all over the state. Then when you fly back to where ever, many of them will put your RV in storage for the winter.

Old 04-26-2019, 09:01 AM

459 posts, read 2,227,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
Farmland in MN is taxed almost double what it is in Iowa. Can't speak to homes.

As it should be. This is exactly why Iowa has to levy such high property taxes in its town and cities...Because ag property pays next to nothing in property tax.

Old 05-02-2019, 02:23 AM

9 posts, read 8,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Just don't buy anything near me. Anyone who wants to spend summers in Iowa has to be on drugs, I don't want any crackheads in my neighborhood.
Crack is for wussies!

Then when is a good time to spend in Iowa? The glorious winters?

I don't really want to spend summers in Iowa. Or Minnesota. But I do need a place to put my **** and a place to stay for a few months a year.

And you are probably right about being under the influence and moving to Iowa.

Old 05-02-2019, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lthenderson View Post
Personally, I think there are much cheaper ways to solve your problem. Buy an RV and rent a storage place for your stuff that you absolutely need. Ditch the rest. Then you aren't tied down to one place geographically and you don't have all the "joys" of maintaining a home and associated lawn in the summer time or pay property taxes to fund infrastructure you won't use, etc. Drive the RV around and rent places for it in RV parks all over the state. Then when you fly back to where ever, many of them will put your RV in storage for the winter.
I don't do storage anymore. Way too expensive over the long run.

I don't want to get rid of my "stuff" as one day I will return and it takes too much effort to get new "stuff."

We recently spent a year in an RV (family of 4). RVs are a hassle to maintain - whether being used or in storage. Done that already.

Old 05-02-2019, 02:29 AM

From what I see online there isn't much difference in property taxes. In both states some cities - big or small - have significantly higher taxes than others. It seems to be random.

Old 05-02-2019, 08:45 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,251,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalVagabond View Post
Crack is for wussies!

I don't really want to spend summers in Iowa. Or Minnesota. But I do need a place to put my **** and a place to stay for a few months a year.

I'm pretty sure he was just being a goofball there. Besides, Iowa is better known for its meth than crack.

That said, I still think Decorah would be worth looking into. It's definitely a bit off the beaten path, but there are a few schweet breweries in the area, plus it's close to some of the most picturesque scenery in the state (not that it's saying much, but by Midwestern standards it's nice).

From what I understand, the breweries alone draw quite a few folks from the larger Midwestern metros, particularly during the warmer months.

Old 05-03-2019, 08:42 AM

1,351 posts, read 894,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
I'm pretty sure he was just being a goofball there. Besides, Iowa is better known for its meth than crack.

That said, I still think Decorah would be worth looking into. It's definitely a bit off the beaten path, but there are a few schweet breweries in the area, plus it's close to some of the most picturesque scenery in the state (not that it's saying much, but by Midwestern standards it's nice).

From what I understand, the breweries alone draw quite a few folks from the larger Midwestern metros, particularly during the warmer months.
Yup. And the big beer releases draw people in from all over the country.

Old 05-03-2019, 01:05 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalVagabond View Post
Crack is for wussies!

The first two weeks of October are generally pretty nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa