U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 08:39 PM

503 posts, read 156,460 times

Advertisements

I would look at Clear Lake, Ventura, Garner. There are many services in the area, one of the largest lakes in the state, lots of tourism and people coming and going in the summer, and 2 hours from the Cities.

Although, I am not sure you will save much compared with towns in southern MN such as Waseca or Albert Lea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2019, 10:20 PM

9 posts, read 4,576 times
This message has been deleted by ElleTea. Reason: Blank post

Old 06-09-2019, 10:22 PM

Well, the houses seem cheaper in Iowa. But that is from a computer screen. Seeing is believing.

But I noticed that the prices are much cheaper in the dead of winter - especially when the weather is bad. I checked some closing in Feb and March (sold in Dec and Jan) and prices were quite a bit lower.

Old 06-10-2019, 12:00 PM

1,196 posts, read 1,576,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffle View Post
I would look at Clear Lake, Ventura, Garner. There are many services in the area, one of the largest lakes in the state, lots of tourism and people coming and going in the summer, and 2 hours from the Cities.

Although, I am not sure you will save much compared with towns in southern MN such as Waseca or Albert Lea.

I lived in Waseca, I'd give that town a hard pass. It has a federal prison there where a 4-year college used to be.

Old 06-10-2019, 08:26 PM

503 posts, read 156,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
I lived in Waseca, I'd give that town a hard pass. It has a federal prison there where a 4-year college used to be.
I was there on business last year (the town, not the prison!) and it seemed nice enough. But I definitely don't have the knowledge of a former resident.

OP: have you considered Missouri?

Old 06-10-2019, 10:21 PM

8,186 posts, read 9,886,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalVagabond View Post
I am considering a small town (cheap) summer home in Iowa.

Sorry, it is a long intro!

I am originally from Minnesota. I have a house in the suburbs of the Twin Cities in a highly rated area.

But currently we are living overseas (family of four). In fact, I have spent most of my adult life outside of the USA. I did move back 4 years ago so my kids could get to know the USA and the relatives. We got sick of the USA and bolted a year or so ago.

When we moved to the USA, we started in Arizona - where I had been flipping properties (via the Internet from overseas). So I purchased a property in Goodyear, AZ next to the best elementary school in the state for us to stay in (super cheap then). Well, it didn't take long to figure out AZ schools are not so great.

So off to the Twin Cities we went. We had a small summer home there we used for a few summers when we visited family from overseas (houses were super cheap after the crash!). Anyway, my first child enrolled in one of the best school districts and we purchased a cheap home in the district. I was quickly reminded what the winters were like so we headed to San Diego for a few years (summers in Twin Cities). Loved San Diego.

Anyway, we want to sell our house in the Twin Cities. The price has almost tripled and we doubt we will spend any significant time there - and we still have that small 'summer home' we own we could stay in if we need to be in the Twin Cities. BUT we have a bunch of "stuff."

So our plan was to buy a cheap house in rural Minnesota and put our stuff in it. Also, we want a rural place for the summers so my kids can experience rural American life a bit.

So I started looking at cheap rural houses online. I actually haven't seen any of the houses as I am overseas. But I noticed that once over the border in Iowa prices were significantly lower. Hmmm....

So I am comparing rural Minnesota vs rural Iowa - for a summer only home.

So schools do not matter. Income taxes do not matter.

Any thoughts?

Again, we will buy an older cheaper home in a smaller town. Put our stuff in it. Bring our boat. In the summer we will fly back to the USA and will hang out and do some fishing or whatnot. Our needs are pretty simple.
Iowa in the summer? Why? It's so hot and humid.

Old 06-11-2019, 12:49 PM

1,196 posts, read 1,576,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Iowa in the summer? Why? It's so hot and humid.

Compared to summers in the Deep South, summers in Iowa are terrific.

Old 06-12-2019, 12:55 PM

8,186 posts, read 9,886,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
Compared to summers in the Deep South, summers in Iowa are terrific.
That is true.

Old 07-10-2019, 11:41 AM

Back in MN,. But too tired to look at anything just yet.

Old 07-10-2019, 02:06 PM

23 posts, read 8,460 times
I would look at South Dakota. Favorable tax state, friendly to folks who live elsewhere much of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or