U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 09:43 AM

699 posts, read 252,817 times

Advertisements

Iowa is extremely windy. That's why there are so many turbines. North Central Iowa (completely chock full of them) has one of the highest rates of days with energy producing wind in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2019, 09:50 AM

21,434 posts, read 37,664,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Yep. but the spin is that the power generated in Iowa is for Iowans not Florida..............
What does Florida have to do with this conversation?
We would love to have more clean wind energy in Indiana compared to dinosaur coal plants everywhere that Duke Energy is running into the ground. The economic liabilities that they will face just based on cleanup of the coal ash ponds will be enormous.

Old 05-03-2019, 03:21 PM

276 posts, read 110,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
Iowa is extremely windy. That's why there are so many turbines. North Central Iowa (completely chock full of them) has one of the highest rates of days with energy producing wind in the world.
From my experience Nebraska is windier than Iowa and I don't see the vast number of windmills in Nebraska that I see in Iowa, at least not where I drive through.

Old 05-03-2019, 03:44 PM

21,434 posts, read 37,664,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetJustice View Post
From my experience Nebraska is windier than Iowa and I don't see the vast number of windmills in Nebraska that I see in Iowa, at least not where I drive through.
Nebraska is more rural than Iowa with lower population densities. Therefore, the high voltage transmission line infrastructure is less prevalent in rural Nebraska compared to Iowa. Capital investments for new transmission lines can occur, but are in closer proximity to existing lines. Therefore, wind farms are less likely to be sited in very remote areas.

Old 05-09-2019, 12:04 PM

503 posts, read 157,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Nebraska is more rural than Iowa with lower population densities. Therefore, the high voltage transmission line infrastructure is less prevalent in rural Nebraska compared to Iowa. Capital investments for new transmission lines can occur, but are in closer proximity to existing lines. Therefore, wind farms are less likely to be sited in very remote areas.
True. Also, Iowa is closer to the load centers of the Midwest, so locational marginal prices are higher.

Old 05-11-2019, 09:21 AM

15 posts, read 24,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
I was in Iowa visiting a couple of weeks ago, and that's what my brother told me. He said the windmills near him were for a utility company that serves Chicago
The utility company is MidAmerican Energy, and they actually serve at least four states--Iowa being one of them. I've seen their logo on a wind farm near Des Moines.

Old 05-17-2019, 05:49 AM

9,463 posts, read 9,093,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
What does Florida have to do with this conversation?
We would love to have more clean wind energy in Indiana compared to dinosaur coal plants everywhere that Duke Energy is running into the ground. The economic liabilities that they will face just based on cleanup of the coal ash ponds will be enormous.
Florida Power and Light now NextEra owns many of the wind farms in Iowa. The majority of the customers are in Florida.....
http://www.nexteraenergyresources.co...tions-map.html

Another huge company that benefits from Iowa wind is EDF...Electricite de France............

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89...3%A9_de_France

Old 05-18-2019, 10:29 AM

3,630 posts, read 5,017,078 times
Quote:
Florida Power and Light now NextEra owns many of the wind farms in Iowa. The majority of the customers are in Florida.....
NextEra Energy Resources | Locations Map

Another huge company that benefits from Iowa wind is EDF...Electricite de France............

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89...3%A9_de_France
Interesting that this massive French company owns EnXco, which was a Minnesota company. This is the company that tried to establish a wind farm north of Sioux Falls, including our farm. At that time they were promising land owners up to $ 7,000 yearly income per 2 megawatt turbine. This fell through and I'm glad it did. Yes, we'd have probably reaped $ 21,000 to $ 28,000 a year from these things, but I'd have hated having these monstrosities standing on our property and our neighbors. Also, there was no established answer for many years down the road on who was responsible for these things should the energy company go belly up or simply abandon them. Could you imagine the cost for the land owners in tearing these things down?

The project fell through as we understand because there was an issue with the selling of the power to the main electrical companies. At least that was the propaganda.

Old 07-01-2019, 07:33 AM

9,463 posts, read 9,093,153 times
Blows an ill wind.....

https://www.thegazette.com/subject/n...costs-20190701

While Alliant officials say the new increase — which would be applied to the base rate portion of a customer’s bill — is necessary for infrastructure upgrades and the cost of bolstering the utility’s stock of wind turbines, some customers just see dollar signs.

Old 07-01-2019, 09:04 PM

3,630 posts, read 5,017,078 times
Quote:
Blows an ill wind.....

https://www.thegazette.com/subject/n...costs-20190701

While Alliant officials say the new increase — which would be applied to the base rate portion of a customer’s bill — is necessary for infrastructure upgrades and the cost of bolstering the utility’s stock of wind turbines, some customers just see dollar signs.
What is not in this article, is the percent of wind, nuclear, solar, and coal power used by Alliant vs Mid American. My guess is this has more to do with the rate difference between the 2 companies than anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa