U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-21-2019, 02:25 PM
 
Location: Calera, AL
1,196 posts, read 1,576,836 times
Reputation: 1666

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smpliving View Post
Agree. Another factor for many is the humidity (for those from the West) and lack of "real mountains," which my brother and younger daughter complain about when it comes to outdoor activities in Iowa.

To a lot of folks out West, even the Appalachians aren't real mountains.


There is a lot of spectacular scenery out west, but it's also very very brown. There's plenty of green to be had in Iowa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-21-2019, 09:24 PM
 
1,649 posts, read 2,358,466 times
Reputation: 2897
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
To a lot of folks out West, even the Appalachians aren't real mountains.


There is a lot of spectacular scenery out west, but it's also very very brown. There's plenty of green to be had in Iowa.
Lots of brown but also vast amounts of greenery year round out west. Western Oregon/Washington, northern Idaho, western Montana, Lake Tahoe, and the Northern California coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2019, 09:28 PM
 
Location: Colorado
3,580 posts, read 2,983,325 times
Reputation: 2816
Quote:
Originally Posted by smpliving View Post
Agree. Another factor for many is the humidity (for those from the West) and lack of "real mountains," which my brother and younger daughter complain about when it comes to outdoor activities in Iowa.
I think Iowa could have pretty decent scenery, but there's not much set aside public use land at all within the state. The mountains of Colorado are cool to look at, but the unique thing that makes them great is you can access most all of them through public land, and there's huge swaths of the state where you can see the state as it is undisturbed natural setting. If enough land was set aside, Iowa could have the equivalent of a deciduous mini Black Hills, with all the buffalo and elk roaming around and lots of trails.

I could deal with the weather of Iowa, it's the lack of public land would be my real dealbreaker. I wonder what the results of campaigning will be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2019, 09:43 AM
 
Location: Moving?!
503 posts, read 156,460 times
Reputation: 835
Iowa isn't Colorado (or the Black Hills) and never will be. The Appalachians would be a slightly better comparison, since there is a lot of old farmland there (which is what you would be working with in Iowa) and higher rainfall, but the geography is still different.

To address the topic.. it's a job seeker's market right now, and not surprising that employers are having difficulty finding people to work relatively hard jobs for relatively low pay. The trend will reverse during the next dip in the business cycle. If there's a concern about long-term population trends in Iowa, IMO the better approach would be to try and increase natural birth rates within the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2019, 09:44 AM
 
Location: Calera, AL
1,196 posts, read 1,576,836 times
Reputation: 1666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I think Iowa could have pretty decent scenery, but there's not much set aside public use land at all within the state. The mountains of Colorado are cool to look at, but the unique thing that makes them great is you can access most all of them through public land, and there's huge swaths of the state where you can see the state as it is undisturbed natural setting. If enough land was set aside, Iowa could have the equivalent of a deciduous mini Black Hills, with all the buffalo and elk roaming around and lots of trails.

I could deal with the weather of Iowa, it's the lack of public land would be my real dealbreaker. I wonder what the results of campaigning will be.

That's not happening. There's too much money to be had in ethanol production, and most private landowners aren't going to just give up their land to the state out of the goodness of their heart. Even if they're paid handsomely for it, I think there's just too much personal pride at stake (these hundred acres have been in my family for five generations!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2019, 05:17 PM
 
53,557 posts, read 48,632,648 times
Reputation: 16709
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffle View Post
I prefer "Nebraska: Honestly, it's not for everyone" lol
Why? Do you want to scare people away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2019, 06:56 AM
 
53,557 posts, read 48,632,648 times
Reputation: 16709
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffle View Post
Iowa isn't Colorado (or the Black Hills) and never will be. The Appalachians would be a slightly better comparison, since there is a lot of old farmland there (which is what you would be working with in Iowa) and higher rainfall, but the geography is still different.

To address the topic.. it's a job seeker's market right now, and not surprising that employers are having difficulty finding people to work relatively hard jobs for relatively low pay. The trend will reverse during the next dip in the business cycle. If there's a concern about long-term population trends in Iowa, IMO the better approach would be to try and increase natural birth rates within the state.
Maybe Iowa is not South Dakota. However, I hear the Driftless Area has some interesting landforms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2019, 09:01 AM
 
9,399 posts, read 10,231,618 times
Reputation: 8526
"I didn't think the homes in Iowa would be that...modern."

And people wonder why I don't like to tell people where I'm from
__________________
My posts as moderator will be in red.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2019, 09:40 AM
 
53,557 posts, read 48,632,648 times
Reputation: 16709
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
"I didn't think the homes in Iowa would be that...modern."

And people wonder why I don't like to tell people where I'm from
I would imagine that statement would be said about Arkansas or Mississippi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2019, 11:11 AM
 
9,399 posts, read 10,231,618 times
Reputation: 8526
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I would imagine that statement would be said about Arkansas or Mississippi.
And Iowa since it was a quote from the video posted at the start of this thread!
__________________
My posts as moderator will be in red.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top