Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2019, 09:19 PM

9 posts, read 9,798 times

Advertisements

Hi,

What is the area of Cass County like? Is there diversity in the area? How would it be being African American living in the area?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2019, 08:11 AM

26,419 posts, read 46,591,155 times
It is a rapidly declining agricultural county with little diversity at all:

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...a,US/PST045218

I can't say I know that much about the area other than the fact that it doesn't receive many newcomers.

Old 11-10-2019, 08:56 AM

4,868 posts, read 6,929,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBee1680 View Post
Hi,

What is the area of Cass County like? Is there diversity in the area? How would it be being African American living in the area?

Thanks!
It's not in the boonies of Iowa being just south of I-80 between Omaha and Des Moines. Yet it's far enough from both these major cities to be a ridiculous commute for a job.

I've been to Atlantic many times. It's the largest town in the county and the county seat. It's a very nice town. As was mentioned on another reply, this town is declining somewhat in population, but it doesn't seem to have affected the business environment yet. You don't see a bunch of buttoned up store fronts.

I would doubt that as far as diversity is concerned that there is much there. If you move there it will be what you make it. It's not so far south in Iowa that you'll run into the southern influence with a Missouri feel that is quite noticeable along the far southern communities of Iowa. Not saying this change is good or bad, but it is very much there.

Old 11-11-2019, 10:24 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
Diversity in that area has to do with whether you're Danish or German, or maybe Catholic or protestant. My family moved to Harlan, about 30 miles from Atlantic, 60 years ago. I was told it was a "sundown town." I'd never heard of such a thing and didn't believe it, but I think it was true.

I know my ex/late mother-in-law was from near Atlantic before moving to Harlan, and I couldn't believe how she thought of African Americans. I happened to be visiting her home probably 30 years ago when a black person or two were knocking on doors in the neighborhood. They knocked on her door, but she hid, then excitedly watched through the window as they proceeded up the street. It was weird. I'm sure things have changed for the better since then, but that wasn't really that long ago. Harlan, Atlantic and all the towns around there are small farming communities, mostly German, Danish, Swedish, Irish. For whatever reasons, few blacks have moved into the small towns in the area, or at least if they have it's been very recent. (I haven't spent much time there for the past 20-25 years.)

I hate to say this about my old hometown, but it's just the way it is. I have no doubt that you'd make friends there, but very few if any of those friends would be AA. For diversity you'd probably need to look for a small to large city, maybe Council Bluffs, certainly Omaha or Des Moines.

There are not a lot of "outsiders" moving into these smaller towns. I got the moniker of "New Kid" given to me my first day in school after moving there in '58, sometimes shortened to "Newk." (Catch my name on here?) I have no doubt that if I spent much time there today I'd hear it repeated, although most of my old classmates that remain in the area are probably farmers.

Old 11-13-2019, 07:49 AM

1,351 posts, read 897,465 times
You might be, literally, the only African American in the county. My guess is that people will be friendly, but you will experience a lot of unintentional ignorance that some would label micro-aggressions. It will be motivated less by a dislike of AAs than just an honest lack of experience or knowledge.

I doubt you'll experience blatant intentional racism, but in the current climate, nothing would shock me on that front unfortunately.

The poster referring to ag communities as "rapidly declining" doesn't know what they're talking about. Rural Iowa has less people than it used to, but that's mostly driven by an excess population during the baby boom that was too large for the demands of a rural economy. Most of rural Iowa has stabilized and is a very well maintained, clean, and friendly area.

Old 11-13-2019, 07:34 PM

26,419 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
You might be, literally, the only African American in the county. My guess is that people will be friendly, but you will experience a lot of unintentional ignorance that some would label micro-aggressions. It will be motivated less by a dislike of AAs than just an honest lack of experience or knowledge.

I doubt you'll experience blatant intentional racism, but in the current climate, nothing would shock me on that front unfortunately.

The poster referring to ag communities as "rapidly declining" doesn't know what they're talking about. Rural Iowa has less people than it used to, but that's mostly driven by an excess population during the baby boom that was too large for the demands of a rural economy. Most of rural Iowa has stabilized and is a very well maintained, clean, and friendly area.
To clarify, the county seat towns are holding up a bit more. The rapid decline in population is factual, -7.5% decline in 9 years for the county in question.

Old 11-15-2019, 09:23 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,253,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Diversity in that area has to do with whether you're Danish or German, or maybe Catholic or protestant. My family moved to Harlan, about 30 miles from Atlantic, 60 years ago. I was told it was a "sundown town." I'd never heard of such a thing and didn't believe it, but I think it was true.

I'd imagine most small Midwestern towns were sundown towns to at least some degree. Some had actual laws, others were more implicit.

Western Iowa is largely represented by Steve King. It's easily the least educated and least progressive part of the state. While I don't think he necessarily represents the views of the citizens of his district, they do seem to condone his actions as he keeps getting re-elected. Even fellow Republicans have a difficult time unseating him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa