Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 06:36 AM

1 posts, read 814 times

Advertisements

I'm a currently a UK national, however my wife is from Iowa. We are looking into the possibility of relocating my family from the US from the UK. Naturally healthcare is something that i haven't had to worry about since our is provided for by the government.
While i understand that premiums can vary largely depending on different levels of cover, i was wondering if someone could provide me with a broad estimate for a good level of cover.
i'm 35, my wife is 40 years old. we have 3 year old boy and a 1 year old girl. nobody has any major health complaints and are non-smokers. i know a lot more information would be required but, i'm just after a guide since i really have no idea.
thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2019, 06:35 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,151,950 times
I would try with you here it should give you a pretty good idea

https://www.healthcare.gov/get-coverage/

Old 10-01-2019, 03:22 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
Don't do it. You have a good gig going on in the UK for now.

Our healthcare system is a mess! While US healthcare itself can be excellent, paying for it out of pocket can be a nightmare.

You will also need auto insurance. If you don't have a car now, you'll probably need one, unless you can live and work somewhere like Ames and work at the university.

Unless you are made of money, I would strongly encourage you to stay where you are or consider moves within the UK if where you are living now isn't working out.

Old 10-01-2019, 07:13 PM

336 posts, read 574,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Don't do it. You have a good gig going on in the UK for now.

Our healthcare system is a mess! While US healthcare itself can be excellent, paying for it out of pocket can be a nightmare.

You will also need auto insurance. If you don't have a car now, you'll probably need one, unless you can live and work somewhere like Ames and work at the university.

Unless you are made of money, I would strongly encourage you to stay where you are or consider moves within the UK if where you are living now isn't working out.
Our healthcare is not a mess. A lot of people in other countries who have national healthcare still buy supplemental policies.
Do some research before you spout off your mouth.

Old 10-02-2019, 05:03 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victaaa View Post
i was wondering if someone could provide me with a broad estimate for a good level of cover.
The FIRST questions are employment related: How much you'll earn; What the employer offers (or not).

Old 10-03-2019, 07:29 PM

307 posts, read 118,637 times
There is no way to answer this question. Most people get health insurance through their employers. Generally public sector and union employees have gold-plated plans with little out of pocket cost. If you work for a small company, you may have a higher premium and less generous benefits. It also depends on which state you live in. I wouldn't let this dissuade you from moving to the US. It will be an adjustment from what you're used to, but you also might come to find you like it. And if you don't, the UK isn't going anywhere...

Old 10-03-2019, 07:32 PM

307 posts, read 118,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCB View Post
Our healthcare is not a mess. A lot of people in other countries who have national healthcare still buy supplemental policies.
All systems have pros and cons.

Old 10-03-2019, 07:43 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,894,530 times
Medical insurance varies all over, even by State. Fortunately, Iowa is a Medicaid expansion State, giving more people coverage.

Old 10-10-2019, 12:59 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
You will buy health insurance through your job. If you don't have a job, you go without health care except for emergency treatment in a hospital. If you are very poor, your family will get Medicaid.

If you have a really good job, you can buy good health insurance and you'll be fine. Costs differ because we have lots of different insurance companies and each company has several different plans. So there's no way to know until you find out what plans your employer offers.

Just do not come here without a good permanent job. For now there is also "Obamacare" that works a little bit like the NHS but the current administration is undermining it and saying they will take it away. For now, and if it remains in place, you would pay monthly premiums but it's hard to say how much your costs would be. There would be a premium and then co-payments when you went to a doctor or underwent a medical procedure. Again, even under Obamacare, there are many insurance companies to choose from, each offering different benefits and costs.

As someone already stated, you would probably be better off staying in the UK when it comes to medical insurance. You are automatically covered and even covered for eye glasses and dental. You are able to buy an affordable supplement if you want extras. You don't have to think about medical expenses when you live in the UK but in the US, there's paperwork, bills, and depending upon circumstances, shockingly high bills if you need surgery or extensive hospitalization.

Old 10-10-2019, 08:16 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,546,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCB View Post
As the one who manages the healthcare policies at my work...Meemur is absolutely correct. The health insurance system is a complete mess. It's hot garbage. Basically, for a family of 4 expect to pay 1k+, probably more like 2k, for something that looks halfway decent on paper...but it will still have a four-figure deductible. And when/if you have to go to the doctor or hospital, they will probably do everything in their power to not pay out.

Most employers will offer insurance, but they will only pay for a portion of it especially for family coverage. If they actually pay for all of it then you would be VERY lucky. But most people have hundreds per paycheck deducted for this. Something to be aware of.

Best case scenario, don't buy insurance and don't get sick. That will save you tens of thousands of dollars per year. Worst case scenario, get sick with or without insurance...since you will be drained either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa