U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 03:13 PM

1,744 posts, read 6,781,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro223 View Post
I agree with El Rhino - these are funny but quite a few of them are for Minnesota. Uff da! in Iowa? Not that I know of...

I don't know, north of Story City and on they think Ole and Lena jokes are funny, just not as much as our neighbors to the north. Northern Iowa has a lot of Norwegians thus the term "Iowegian". Decorah has quite a bit.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 12:07 AM

310 posts, read 1,192,847 times
it should be "95% of your graduating class went to Iowa b/c Iowa State sucks and only 5% of your class is clueless enough to attend it."

Old 04-27-2008, 04:36 AM

196 posts, read 727,510 times
I've heard people from Decorah say "uff da." I'm like, pardon me? I have no idea what it means. They also tell those Ole jokes, which must be funny if that's your heritage.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:09 PM

114 posts, read 454,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
You know your from Iowa when your out touring around other states, people turn to each other and point out that
I O W A stands for
Idiots
Out
Wandering
Around.

Its a joke, I swear, one told to me by someone from Nebraska. Its not my personal believe that Iowa has anymore idiots then any other states.
I always say that I'd rather be an Idiot Out Wandering Around Nowhere, than an idiot not wondering around at all

Old 04-30-2008, 12:48 AM

1,355 posts, read 3,889,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
Come on, it's not meant to be taken that literally. We do occasionally get some snow on/around Halloween though.

I think most of these were from the "you might be from Minnesota if.." list though.
I'm just saying a more extreme date where that actually happens would be April fools day.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:44 AM

21,715 posts, read 38,106,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMGuy View Post
I've heard people from Decorah say "uff da." I'm like, pardon me? I have no idea what it means. They also tell those Ole jokes, which must be funny if that's your heritage.
uff da. "I am overwhelmed" right now.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:48 PM

76 posts, read 179,223 times
Quote:
You have no problem spelling "Des Moines"
Or pronouncing it. : - )

Old 05-07-2008, 10:58 AM

38 posts, read 151,593 times
EXTREME northern Iowa, and ALL of Minnesota (pronounced "mi-nah-SO-dah") loves the UFF-DA and the Ole and Lena thing!!
This transplant from Moline, Illinois to SW Mn is getting used to it!!

Old 05-08-2008, 12:50 PM

154 posts, read 855,546 times
You know you're from Iowa when:
You call from out of state to a random florist and order flowers for your mother in law...you start to give the lady your mother in laws address, and she says, "Oh, honey I don't need it, I know where she lives..."

This just happened to me this morning! I'm in CA, and ordered Mothers Day flowers for my mother in law in Iowa.

Old 05-08-2008, 03:01 PM

2,073 posts, read 5,066,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy77 View Post
You know you're from Iowa when:
You call from out of state to a random florist and order flowers for your mother in law...you start to give the lady your mother in laws address, and she says, "Oh, honey I don't need it, I know where she lives..."

This just happened to me this morning! I'm in CA, and ordered Mothers Day flowers for my mother in law in Iowa.
lol sounds like she lives in a very homey town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa