U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 07:00 AM

28,951 posts, read 49,609,446 times

Advertisements

You know you're from Iowa when...

You Know You're From Iowa When... (http://soli.inav.net/~catalyst/Humor/iowa.htm - broken link)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 09:37 PM

3 posts, read 16,776 times
I don't care who you are that there is funny..

Old 04-24-2008, 10:49 PM

1,355 posts, read 3,889,238 times
Most of those make sense, but two feet of snow on Halloween. My dad is from Oskaloosa and I don't think they've ever had that much snow so early in the year. I'd doubt even places like Mason City or Decorah have, and if they have it has to be very rare.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:04 PM

1,744 posts, read 6,781,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
Most of those make sense, but two feet of snow on Halloween. My dad is from Oskaloosa and I don't think they've ever had that much snow so early in the year. I'd doubt even places like Mason City or Decorah have, and if they have it has to be very rare.

Come on, it's not meant to be taken that literally. We do occasionally get some snow on/around Halloween though.

I think most of these were from the "you might be from Minnesota if.." list though.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:10 PM

10,739 posts, read 32,780,142 times
You know your from Iowa when your out touring around other states, people turn to each other and point out that
I O W A stands for
Idiots
Out
Wandering
Around.

Its a joke, I swear, one told to me by someone from Nebraska. Its not my personal believe that Iowa has anymore idiots then any other states.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:14 PM

1,744 posts, read 6,781,610 times
Travellers through the state say that Iowa stands for "I oughta went around"

Old 04-25-2008, 07:52 AM

1,821 posts, read 4,771,862 times
Seen alot of those for the Nebraska version too.

When I lived in Omaha, we worked with some people from Council Bluffs, and we were doing the good natured jabbing, Idiots out wandering around etc.. One guy then told me that it stands for:
Intelligent
Outstanding
Women (in)
Abundance
He said you didn't need an extra I for the "in" because it follows the same principles as some University's in that they don't put in an extra o for "of" (University of Nebraska Omaha is UNO for example). Thought that was pretty creative.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:30 AM

55,503 posts, read 49,467,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
You know you're from Iowa when...

You Know You're From Iowa When... (http://soli.inav.net/~catalyst/Humor/iowa.htm - broken link)
I'm no Iowan, but I have some of my father's family in Waterloo.

BTW, supper is the meal that comes before dinner.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:57 PM

2,073 posts, read 5,066,012 times
Actually dinner is lunch and supper is... supper. At least in my Iowan family.

I agree with El Rhino - these are funny but quite a few of them are for Minnesota. Uff da! in Iowa? Not that I know of...

Old 04-25-2008, 03:12 PM

113 posts, read 601,828 times
Mom was born near Ames. I had a second cousin who lived in Omaha with his wife. He always liked to bore us to tears when he visited us with all of his home movies. So, when I visited him, I kept him up late watching his home movies until I felt I had returned his favor, booring him to tears.

When I flew into Omaha one November around Thanksgiving time, they invited me to spend the night with them. That was the worst mistake I made at that time! Over night, we had a very very very bad storm blow in. In the morning, most of the roads were closed, semi-tractor-trailer trucks were in the ditch by the hundreds. Epley Field was a mess! Flights were cancelled or being cancelled right and left! I quickly decided that if I were going to get out of Omaha that day, I'd better jump on a puddle jumper with six stops between Omaha and Denver. Three or four of those stops were cancelled because of the weather. I got stuck in Amarillo later that day. Then, in Dallas, I lost my ticket to go to Oklahoma City and had to buy another ticket. Then, I had to call my boss and tell him I was stuck and couldn't get to work the next day. He was mad! I was disgusted, tired of traveling, and mad all at the same time. What a bummer of a trip that was!

I felt I could have done better on a pair of roller skates.

Last edited by in_the_gloaming; 04-25-2008 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa