Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2020, 01:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,880 times

Advertisements

I've been considering relocating to Iowa. While I was looking at the cities in that state, there were three cities in particular that got my attention: Ames, Cedar Rapids, and Dubuque. However, I'm wondering which one of these three is the best for blue-collar jobs (so jobs related to manufacturing, construction, mining, and logging). Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2020, 07:47 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
I don't live there and haven't since the early 70s, but several years ago I was planning to move back to NE Iowa so am just a little familiar with it. My guess is that Dubuque would be the best blue-collar town... certainly not Ames, and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be Cedar Rapids.

Old 01-03-2020, 07:07 AM

1,238 posts, read 820,537 times
The fact that you mentioned logging in a post about Iowa suggests that you need to do a lot more research before moving, no offense.

"Blue collar" is too broad. Since you didn't mention a specific skillset, my guess is that you really meant "unskilled" in which case any of the three could work. I would probably steer away from Ames just because you'd be competing with a lot of college kids from ISU. Cedar Rapids and Dubuque are both centered around manufacturing, more so than Ames.

Old 01-04-2020, 07:17 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,918,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffle View Post
The fact that you mentioned logging in a post about Iowa suggests that you need to do a lot more research before moving, no offense.

"Blue collar" is too broad. Since you didn't mention a specific skillset, my guess is that you really meant "unskilled" in which case any of the three could work. I would probably steer away from Ames just because you'd be competing with a lot of college kids from ISU. Cedar Rapids and Dubuque are both centered around manufacturing, more so than Ames.
I'm guessing the OP's definition of blue collar is as you just stated.

If you're looking for factory jobs Dubuque would be the best choice of the three. I would also check out the Quad Cities. If the OP is looking for instant employment, just google the many Iowa towns with packing houses. Off the top of my head there's Marshalltown, West Liberty, Oakland, Postville, Ottumwa, Denison, Storm Lake, and Sioux City (it's actually across the border from Sioux City in Dakota City, Nebraska).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa