U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2019, 08:14 AM

1,046 posts, read 857,488 times

Advertisements

greetings folks,

so been looking at Southern Iowa for a spot to retire for my wife and I

also thinking of looking at Northern Missouri

what do you think the pros and cons would be of the two different areas?

thanks for taking time to respond
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2019, 11:19 AM

1,649 posts, read 2,358,466 times
I spent a few years driving back and forth between Cedar Rapids to Des Moines, and down to Kansas City on Interstate 35. From my observations, I'd say the small towns not far off the Interstate seem not as prosperous over the state line into Missouri. Just my opinion.

From a tax perspective, I would think Iowa is probably more expensive when it comes to property taxes. I would also focus on health care availability, distance from Des Moines versus Kansas City (or St Louis), if you are thinking of a small town to live in.

Weather: There was a definite change in weather once I drove past Liberty, Missouri with slowly more snow and the air temp dropping. All I can say is that it felt depressing to get back to the Iowa state line with the much colder air and snow. This was 7-8 years ago, so maybe weather patterns have changed some.

Last edited by smpliving; 12-23-2019 at 11:32 AM..

Old 12-23-2019, 01:49 PM

215 posts, read 197,942 times
We just retired a year ago to SW MO, having spent the last 20 years in Cedar Falls. We spent 6 years investigating everything from Maryville to Cape with many points between. MO is, for sure, a poorer state overall with most wealth concentrated in STL and KC. Not many amenities. Not much health care available outside of a few areas. Columbia has tons of health care available and more shopping available, but is congested. Kirksville is a decent town but way more like Iowa than MO. We looked at Maryville because of its proximity to Omaha, but that whole area is... odd. Taxes are lower but not by much. Real estate taxes are about 1/2 of Iowa but Personal Property tax makes up much of the difference. Oddly, insurance rates are a good deal higher in MO.

Weather is much better; we left our snow thrower in IA. South of I-70 is roughly 10 degrees warmer than north of I-80. That translates to around one more month of growing season if you're a gardener.

Old 12-23-2019, 03:21 PM

21,425 posts, read 37,655,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robojester View Post
greetings folks,

I would suggest none of those two areas... I wouldn't ever suggest investing in large-scale declining rural areas unless you have very specific ties to those areas.

Try looking at rural areas between Des Moines and Iowa City along the I-80 corridor or rural areas close to Columbia, St. Louis, or KC along the I-70 corridor. There are plenty of towns to pick from and you will be in much closer proximity to far better healthcare amenities down the road.

Old 12-23-2019, 09:41 PM

3,615 posts, read 5,013,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robojester View Post
greetings folks,

They're the same thing, only different.

Old 12-24-2019, 11:50 PM

72 posts, read 34,471 times
I just drove from St. Louis to Des Moines a couple weeks ago, and here’s what I can tell you:
Being from Missouri, I can tell you that Iowa is definitely colder. It was 24 degrees and windy in Mount Pleasant, and it was sunny and 38 degrees in Bowling Green a few hours later. That’s not warm, in the least.. but getting out of the car to hit a gas station, it felt like I had just drove into Florida with how much better it felt. If you like the cold, I’d go with Iowa.

I have no idea about prices of homes, to be honest. They’re probably comparable enough that you should be basing your choice of where to live off of the area, and less the cost of living. It’s gonna be cheap either way.

Iowa seems a bit cleaner than Missouri to be honest. Everything just seemed better maintained and neat. I honestly really liked the feel of Iowa; but I HATE the cold, so I’m never moving there. Nice place though!

Here’s some pictures I took! First one is in New London, MO and the others are from Iowa.

Old 12-26-2019, 05:32 PM

1,046 posts, read 857,488 times
looking to stay close to the 35 corridors as opposed to the east-west freeways if we can.

Thanks for the input about looking between Desmoines and Iowa city.

Seems there are lots of interesting towns along there and Hwy 35.

Old 01-11-2020, 04:45 AM

7,767 posts, read 7,091,418 times
Iowa has the perfect "4 seasons" climate if you ask me, especially down closer to Des Moines and the SE part of the state. The northern part of the state is more like eastern South Dakota and Minnesota which are more like 2 seasons climates... a really long winter, a moderate summer, with one month of spring and fall tops.

Everyone has a different perspective but coming from eastern WI to eastern South Dakota, I still ***** about how cold it is here.. in Brookings it's -15 right now and Des Moines it's +15. The tradeoff from going from Des Moines into Missouri is that summer temps can become much more oppressive, with high 90's and humidity the further south you go... so you have to decide what works for you... a bit warmer winter weather or a bit cooler but more reasonable summers. Personally I prefer the area around Ottumwa, IA climate wise, but also enjoy the semi-arid chinook winds climates, like Eastern Colorado.

I made this little map years back showing where the bubble of cold air never really goes away much in the winter. At least in Des Moines you can get days in the 50's and even low 60's once in a while, but go up in that red area and it's just nonstop winter, with the green area being the worst.

Last edited by sholomar; 01-11-2020 at 04:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or